The Demand For Bootlegs

I'd never really grasped what a cottage industry modern day bootlegs has become until today I spotted what looks like a boot of a Stardust 45.

I had a look at the sellers other items and many show the number sold, which in some cases is in the 50's  :ohmy:

Given there are a few sellers out there pressing things up the demand for bootlegs must be massive. It must be getting to the level where the label owners are missing out on a potentially large market, surely it would be worth policing this now.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/soulful-records12/m.html?item=141622766038&hash=item20f95fe9d6&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Social source share

Wish it could be done, constantly surprised that some larger music players are not more aggressive with this, thinking of the legit Motown 7" box sets competing with boots? So tired of the number of boots, but not as tired as seeing them played out. 

Social source share

Sold my 70's boot of lillie Bryant-Meet me halfway a couple of months ago for £72!....amazed!..happy but amazed...this was on e-bay of course....need to have a good look...def a got a magicians (servicemen) on chartmaker....and loads of others...bloody mad to be fair......Rob

recently saw a copy of Rubin-You've been away on the stardust label go for £37 on ebay, prices are just crazy.

Social source share

But - I put a load of boots, all from the 73 to 78 period, on facebook yesterday, practically all £5 each to get shut of them, and I sold - ONE RECORD!

Hi Pete

On Ebay bootlegs sell for a fortune.... £5 records selling for £10 -£50 (depending upon the buyers level of insanity), even after charges you could still feel like a lottery winner (though maybe not a jackpot winner). Perhaps as Ebay 'buy it now' sales at £7.50 (to cover fees) you could end up selling a job lot to a wanna be DJ. 

Atb

Stu

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Pete

On Ebay bootlegs sell for a fortune.... £5 records selling for £10 -£50 (depending upon the buyers level of insanity), even after charges you could still feel like a lottery winner (though maybe not a jackpot winner). Perhaps as Ebay 'buy it now' sales at £7.50 (to cover fees) you could end up selling a job lot to a wanna be DJ. 

Atb

Stu

Do you think this is a lack of knowledge or simply the case that up & coming Soulies don't care whether its a boot or an original, they simply want to play it on vinyl or abit of both ? haha

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You dont think its to do with the recent film pushing the price up of these bootlegs ??

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!