Wanted: Epitome Of Sound - You Don't Love Me Original

Foi

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 

Pete,

Been meaning to reply to the previous posts....by 'sensible'  I mean a fair book guide price that is not influenced in any way by the today's media frenzy of 'northern soul fever' that makes people offer or buy records at silly prices i.e. a 'fair' price is a price that is not reflected by any inflated current demand. Pete, you are the champion at pointing out that bootlegs are being sold at inflated prices,  for me the same applies to originals as well, though its more subjective when it comes to what we all think an original record is worth, of course we also have to take into account the grading of vinyl, condition of label etc... e.g. a trashed original might serve a DJ very well but is useless to a fussy collector!

Moreover, Epitome of Sound is not a mega rare record, nor is it really on a rare or obscure label , but true it has always been very popular, seen as a northern soul anthem of sorts and I'd guess its very much in demand at the moment like many other oldies. The question I've always asked at the end of the day is,  do you pay the price of record for its current popularity on the scene or the actual rareness of its label and its number of presses that were released?!

Edited by foi
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Pete,

Been meaning to reply to the previous posts....by 'sensible'  I mean a fair book guide price that is not influenced in any way by the today's media frenzy of 'northern soul fever' that makes people offer or buy records at silly prices i.e. a 'fair' price is a price that is not reflected by any inflated current demand. Pete, you are the champion at pointing out that bootlegs are being sold at inflated prices,  for me the same applies to originals as well, though its more subjective when it comes to what we all think an original record is worth, of course we also have to take into account the grading of vinyl, condition of label etc... e.g. a trashed original might serve a DJ very well but is useless to a fussy collector!

Moreover, Epitome of Sound is not a mega rare record, nor is it really on a rare or obscure label , but true it has always been very popular, seen as a northern soul anthem of sorts and I'd guess its very much in demand at the moment like many other oldies. The question I've always asked at the end of the day is,  do you pay the price of record for its current popularity on the scene or the actual rareness of its label and its number of presses that were released?!

Hello Foi.

Not having a go at you or anything,just a  point on here I disagree with. Whats a fair guide book price?

I think if you are looking to buy original records like this then of course they will always be reflective of the current demand for that particular sound, whether you like it or not. It doesn't really matter if the demand is with fly by night 5 minute wonders or longtime collectors, the result is the same.This thing with book prices is a joke really. The minute they are printed they're out of date aren't they ?I wouldn't pay any attention whatsoever to price guides. That particular record,[Epitome Of Sound] has been creeping up price wise since all those copies dried up back in the 80s. As you say, its not rare, its perennial demand is totally down to its brilliance.3-4 years ago that record was about £100,now, probably double that.  In the not too distant future it will probably end up twice the price it is today because, in general, people don't tend to sell brilliant records,they hang on to them don't they. They are all sat around in collections now aren't they…….If you want the record,you have to pay the going rate Im afraid. Unless you just sit tight and hope a copy comes along at the price you're willing to pay. You could end up waiting a long time though depending on the record.Hopefully, you managed to get a copy at a decent price.

I've kind of given up replying to wants on this forum because over the years,Ive discovered that the majority of people that Ive  replied to actually don't want to pay anything like the current prices for records[whatever the current price is at the time],they normally want them for next to nothing. Which is fine too, but, totally unrealistic most of the time. 

All the best, Ivor

Social source share

Hello Foi.

Not having a go at you or anything,just a  point on here I disagree with. Whats a fair guide book price?

I think if you are looking to buy original records like this then of course they will always be reflective of the current demand for that particular sound, whether you like it or not. It doesn't really matter if the demand is with fly by night 5 minute wonders or longtime collectors, the result is the same.This thing with book prices is a joke really. The minute they are printed they're out of date aren't they ?I wouldn't pay any attention whatsoever to price guides. That particular record,[Epitome Of Sound] has been creeping up price wise since all those copies dried up back in the 80s. As you say, its not rare, its perennial demand is totally down to its brilliance.3-4 years ago that record was about £100,now, probably double that.  In the not too distant future it will probably end up twice the price it is today because, in general, people don't tend to sell brilliant records,they hang on to them don't they. They are all sat around in collections now aren't they…….If you want the record,you have to pay the going rate Im afraid. Unless you just sit tight and hope a copy comes along at the price you're willing to pay. You could end up waiting a long time though depending on the record.Hopefully, you managed to get a copy at a decent price.

I've kind of given up replying to wants on this forum because over the years,Ive discovered that the majority of people that Ive  replied to actually don't want to pay anything like the current prices for records[whatever the current price is at the time],they normally want them for next to nothing. Which is fine too, but, totally unrealistic most of the time. 

All the best, Ivor

Hi Ivor,

Points taken, and totally understand what you are saying and agree. A 'fair book guide' price IMO is a price that only serves as point of reference of what one would pay. Guides are constantly revised so they are never written in stone and I never take them that seriously.

I sold my first collection back in the mid 80s and decided to collect again 2 years ago after being away from the scene almost 30 years. A lot has changed I must admit, and I realised that research on prices (especially online and through word of mouth) and value is paramount when looking to buy a record. I usually buy from the States  from several sellers whom Ive developed correspondence with.

With buying and selling records ( which i do both of) I find that there are people out there in the UK that are fair and realistic with their prices and but that does not mean that they are underselling but just that they might have their prices personally in perspective and thats what its all about, perspective. It's all subjective at the end of the day. I paid around £3 for a copy of Wade Flemons- Jeanette back in 83 (came as part of a soul bowl pack) , sold it probably for around £15 a few years later. Heard it was big on the scene years later but cant believe people are paying £400+ for it currently, would i pay that now, no as I personally dont think its worth that. Problem with the 'current prices' scenario is that there is nothing definitive or indicative of what 'current' means, because guides dont reflect it and Popsike certainly doesnt!

Edited by foi
Social source share

Just a couple of small points:

1. They don't make em anymore!

2. In the history of our scene none of these brilliant 'anthem' records have ever gone down in price over time. The later in the scenes evolution that u buy em... The more they gonna cost U!

3. Simple economics..... Supply and demand affect price.... Like it or not that's the score.... With any commodity. If demand increases and supply isn't there, the price will inflate regardless of book price or how we feel about it. Accept it.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I don't understand why someone who wants a record won't say what they are willing to pay for it? Surely, if you want a record badly enough to advertise on here, then you should have an idea of what you are willing to pay for it. Moreover, rather than put the seller on the spot to quote a price then confront them by a rejection, surely it would save everyone's' time if a figure was quoted. This is a classic, always in demand tune of the highest calibre and anyone wanting a copy should be savvy enough to offer £175 say as the value of this record is not going to fall.

• Helpful 1
Social source share