Shades Of Soul Issue 3 (December 1984)

Seano

I used to look forward to the next issue dropping through the door, and then pretty much drop everything to take it all in as quickly as I could. 

I've never been big on the label listings but reading record reviews and seeing scans was always interesting to me.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Blimey it's the modern world as Shades Of Soul comes on line. 

Nice one Sean.

Makes me chuckle re-reading them again - I didn't half talk some ball bag I blame it on my youth.

It's so handy reading them as a PDF file as I ain't got any original copies at all tucked away under mi bed.

Not even sure where the masters are these days - had a bad habit of cutting up sections to reuse again as ya do.

Onwards,

Derek

• Helpful 1
Social source share

if the run of Shades Of Soul issues were bound together in I don't know maybe something like a book with a jacket it would fill a huge void in the documented history of the, and I hate this phrase but here it is 'UK Northern Soul' scene. I'm sure that someone on here was going to start such a project to write about the period (can't recall specific dares but starts approx mid 80's) , I don't think there's any need it's all here.

you could add in Blackbeat too and that would pretty much cover it for that period in time. 

Just a thought really.Not a clue how you would go about this

Could SS collectively fund it if nobody wants to take it on (with necessary permissions)out in time for Christmas !! 

I guess Derek and Steve have some copyright type control: so permissions would be required as appropriate. Be a bloody good read even as it would for many of us for the umpteenth time like a diary almost.

like I say, just a thought. Apols it it's been floated before, 

Social source share

Any more issues yet Sean?   Great to read again and picked up a few titles for some Stafford podcasts as well.

I'd scanned up to issue 9 so far, but have stalled on uploading issue 4 as the file size is too big. I can export it to a smaller size but the quality drops massively, so will try and see if the scanner at work has a lower resolution setting that gets it just under the upload limit.

Great that they're triggering ideas like for the Stafford podcasts - hold tight!

Social source share

if the run of Shades Of Soul issues were bound together in I don't know maybe something like a book with a jacket it would fill a huge void in the documented history of the, and I hate this phrase but here it is 'UK Northern Soul' scene. I'm sure that someone on here was going to start such a project to write about the period (can't recall specific dares but starts approx mid 80's) , I don't think there's any need it's all here.

you could add in Blackbeat too and that would pretty much cover it for that period in time. 

Just a thought really.Not a clue how you would go about this

Could SS collectively fund it if nobody wants to take it on (with necessary permissions)out in time for Christmas !! 

I guess Derek and Steve have some copyright type control: so permissions would be required as appropriate. Be a bloody good read even as it would for many of us for the umpteenth time like a diary almost.

like I say, just a thought. Apols it it's been floated before, 

I think a really good programme would be Apple's iBooks Author - you can weave in photos, slideshows, video clips, audio files, all nestled in amongst the text, and that can then be made available on the Apple Store as an interactive book to download that you can have on your computer or iPad.

I think the trouble would be making sure to have access (and permission) to all of the extra material that you'd want to add in, audio files of records mentioned, scans, maybe even video clips of venues where they exist. You could even get Derek to do some interview clips maybe talking about his time producing the magazines!

It would be a hell of a project to pull all of the music together, the photos - what's Elaine Constantine up to nowadays??

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!