The Ringleaders -Original ?

I have a copy of the Ringleaders - Baby What Has Happended To Our Love , which I bought from Soulbowl in late 70's / early 80's, I think it was record of the week. How can I tell if it is original and not a bootleg ? It has 3174 scratched in the run out groove of the A side if that helps.

post-9140-0-37492200-1428236658_thumb.jp

Edited by grahalex
Social source share

That's original. Mr. Anderson got 800 copies from United Distributors (a week after I bought Richard copy for £15 dammit) also at the same time, probably the same amount of John Bowie -  They were sold for £3 each.  He also had quantity on The Aspirations on Peaches and Inspirations on Midas from the same source.

Those were the days.

He must have had a few leftover (or got some more) as mine came in a soul bowl northern pack around 84 :)

Has this been booted then ?

Cheers Paul

Social source share

That's original. Mr. Anderson got 800 copies from United Distributors (a week after I bought Richard copy for £15 dammit) also at the same time, probably the same amount of John Bowie -  They were sold for £3 each.  He also had quantity on The Aspirations on Peaches and Inspirations on Midas from the same source.

Those were the days.

John had a ridiculous amount of different rare Chicago records from that haul.  I bought a couple of Moniques at Soul Bowl.  And, normally, I didn't buy records I already had, unless they were really inexpensive.

Social source share

HI ALL...BACK N THE 7ts SOUL BOWL was the DOGS B,

The amount of records John put on his lists, enabled me to build my 1st rare soul collection, every Thursday morning I was on the phone to Kings Lynn, after putting an astatic against my wants, normally I would average 3 out of 10, which isn't bad when you think about it,

Today the thought of paying £3 for records like the Ringleaders seams cheap, however back then it was different many records were under £10, in 78 I got a copy of the Invitations "Skiing in the snow" for £10 at Wigan, the most expensive records that I got were not even on SOUL BOWL list as they were UK issues & Demos, Shane Martin cost me £20 at Wigan got £40 for it, a lot of money, 

in 84 at the VIC in Wolves I got a copy of the Ringleaders for £1.50 & I have told the story on how I mugged myself selling it for £6 only to find out the price was going through the roof, I would love a copy of it today, trouble is when you are aware of how common it was back in the 7ts, I can't ever pay todays price, for this great record.....DAVE K

Social source share

still a common record today and does turn up a lot..even used copies on ebay usa every other week seem to appear... absolutely blinding record tho after all these..and you cant knock quality.... my 1st copy was £1.50..had 4 copies thru the collection over the years..not got one at all now

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I can never understand this, if demand is keeping a record at £xxx, then surely that is the current value of that record, it's rarity or what it was worth back in the day are irrelevant,

They only seem to go for that sort of money on Ebay, emotions take over logic and the price gets pushed up, having said that there's one on Ebay right now asking £180.00, 2nd listing not get any nibbles.

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

They only seem to go for that sort of money on Ebay, emotions take over logic and the price gets pushed up, having said that there's one on Ebay right now asking £180.00, 2nd listing not get any nibbles.

It is listed regularly for around that figure everywhere, lists, web sites etc.  Have even seen listed as much as £250.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!