Masqueraders

Pat

One went last week on e.bay for £329 or there abouts...label crap but vinyl ex.....the one just sold had an ex label but played with background noise to start and a few seconds of noise halfway through.....can't beat an extra £400 for a nice label.........Rob

Edited by Lionelonthevinyl
Social source share

is this right for this?

Doesn't seem that long ago down the 100 Club I witnessed the copy in question being purchased for the princely sum of ninety quid.

Can remember thinking it was pricey then as well as being well jel. Probably 15+ years ago.

A record is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. 

Social source share

When did a common record like "Do You Love Me" become worth £800.00 :ohmy:

So what value would a Gentlemen Four command ? :thumbsup:

Come on Butch dig your "Can't Keep A Good Man Down" and spin it, then let's watch the great and the good run around like headless chicken's to get one :lol:

Stop press Milton Wright on Saitron has just gone for £265.00 when a month ago it was hitting the dizzy heights of £450.00 someone's gonna be pissed :yes:

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

When did a common record like "Do You Love Me" become worth £800.00 :ohmy:

So what value would a Gentlemen Four command ? :thumbsup:

Come on Butch dig your "Can't Keep A Good Man Down" and spin it, then let's watch the great and the good run around like headless chicken's to get one :lol:

Stop press Milton Wright on Saitron has just gone for £265.00 when a month ago it was hitting the dizzy heights of £450.00 someone's gonna be pissed :yes:

Dave

Thing is though Dave, Do you love me is a fantastic record. Gentlemen Four is a Marmite record. I'm pretty sure Do you love me has been going for big money for a while now. A minty one especially. There are a lot with cue burn about.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thing is though Dave, Do you love me is a fantastic record. Gentlemen Four is a Marmite record. I'm pretty sure Do you love me has been going for big money for a while now. A minty one especially. There are a lot with cue burn about.

Hey Phil

I hate Marmite, but love the Gentlemen Four both sides, that's the trouble wih this scene too many people being critical of records, if the Gentlemen Four doesn't ignite the dance floor as easily as the Masqueraders so what, that's there loss.

Mind you the Gentlemen Four has had it's moments down the years, for those who have never taken a sabbatical.

Dave

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Hey Phil

I hate Marmite, but love the Gentlemen Four both sides, that's the trouble wih this scene too many people being critical of records, if the Gentlemen Four doesn't ignite the dance floor as easily as the Masqueraders so what, that's there loss.

Mind you the Gentlemen Four has had it's moments down the years, for those who have never taken a sabbatical.

Dave

Never taken drugs Dave.

Social source share

Never taken drugs Dave.

What a lame duck reply Phil, but if you must know plenty in the past. But what has this to do with the quality of the Gentlemen Four ?,unless you mean you need to take drugs to judge a record if so, this would explain the garbage you latter rediscovered as the Burnley Sound ( known records that everyone else with taste, knew and had previously disgarded).

Dave

Edited by Louise
Social source share

Used to think that JM's Book Prices were the top prices for Minters but people are realising that there is a lot of interest out there and asking stupid amounts.  To be honest, this one didn't start out at big Money but it shows how much people are willing to spend.  There is no wonder that the OV argument has got out of control again.

Social source share

What a lame duck reply Phil, but if you must know plenty in the past. But what has this to do with the quality of the Gentlemen Four ?,unless you mean you need to take drugs to judge a record if so, this would explain the garbage you latter rediscovered as the Burnley Sound ( known records that everyone else with taste, knew and had previously disgarded).

Dave

Dave I was trying to make a joke. You said I had taken a sabbatical. :D 

Lighten up. We never claimed to have discovered anything new at Burnley, and it was the punters that called it the Burnley sound. We never claimed to be anything special.

We all have different tastes at the end of the day. Personally the Gentleman Four does nothing for me, but I don't like Marmite either.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't like Do You Love Me Baby or Gentlemen Four much.

At least with The Masqueraders you've got half a dozen records to fall back on, How, Thats The Same Thing, actually you only need those two, both utterly perfect Northern Soul records.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't like Do You Love Me Baby or Gentlemen Four much.

At least with The Masqueraders you've got half a dozen records to fall back on, How, Thats The Same Thing, actually you only need those two, both utterly perfect Northern Soul records.

How is one of my fav ever. Don't know That's the same thing yet

Social source share

No mention of "I aint gonna stop" probably the cheapest one of theirs, argueably the best?

was chuffed to bits when i bought do you love me baby from Brian Phillips for three quid!

Would agree it became more popular after it was on the album.

Steve

Yep! Steve and the flip "I'm Just An Average Guy" which is a fantastic record and one of their most popular stateside, so much so that it got booted in Pittsburgh on a AGP lookalike label with The Whispers "I Mean't To Feet My Feet"  (again due to it's popularity)on the flip. While were having a Masqueraders fest why not chuck their classic "I Ain't Got Nobody Else " in for good measure. There's so much more to this group than a couple of now percieved rare and expensive northern sounding releases. In 'Ye Days Of Old" when that now most rarest of spieces existed 'The Record Collector' they would have a shelf full of Masquraders 45's and their related releases from Lee Jones and Sam Hutchins etc.

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Dave I was trying to make a joke. You said I had taken a sabbatical. :D 

Lighten up. We never claimed to have discovered anything new at Burnley, and it was the punters that called it the Burnley sound. We never claimed to be anything special.

We all have different tastes at the end of the day. Personally the Gentleman Four does nothing for me, but I don't like Marmite either.

Hi Phil

I'm glad we can agree on something even if it is only 'Marmite' !

Mind you I have been known to have nibbled on the occasional twiglet from time to time :ohmy:

Dave :hatsoff2:

Edited by Louise
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!