Easter Treat - My Auction List From May 1975

Guest Bearsy

Can you remember how much you raised for this lot back then Ian.  Would be worth a good few quid today that's for sure some real Bertie's in that lot. 

Social source share

Can you remember how much you raised for this lot back then Ian.  Would be worth a good few quid today that's for sure some real Bertie's in that lot. 

I think I raised about £2,500 from memory but that was quite a lot of money back then (the average wage was probably £50 a week then). 

I haven't had the heart to add 'em up at today's prices!  :lol:

Ian D  :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think I raised about £2,500 from memory but that was quite a lot of money back then (the average wage was probably £50 a week then). 

I haven't had the heart to add 'em up at today's prices!  :lol:

Ian

WOW!! What a list.

£2,500 =23,291.73 in today's money :D

Calculator is here if you want to have a play..........

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

That is one mental list of rare soul……and, in 1976 ! 

Have you still got Billy Woods & the Del Larks ….. :)

Social source share

So all these crazy auction prices are down to you, you started it all :lol:

You know what Chalky? I never even thought of that. It could be that it was the first ever Northern Soul auction list, now I think about it. I can't remember any that pre-date 1975. Most lists up to then were fixed-price. Oh my God. What did I start....?  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thank heavens your spelling's improved since then though! :lol:

Hey have you ever tried using a manual typewriter from the early 70s? Plus I couldn't type either. I was self-taught so the amount of f*ck-ups to even get it to that stuff was huge. If you look at the first page of records, there was even a bit of physical cut and pasting going on. I'm not sure if Tippex had even been invented back then........ :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You know what Chalky? I never even thought of that. It could be that it was the first ever Northern Soul auction list, now I think about it. I can't remember any that pre-date 1975. Most lists up to then were fixed-price. Oh my God. What did I start....?  :lol:

:D seriously great list though.

Social source share

Ian

WOW!! What a list.

£2,500 =23,291.73 in today's money :D

Calculator is here if you want to have a play..........

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html

Cheers

Martyn

Sounds about right. I lived a very-full life in the second-half of 1976. New York, L.A., Frisco, and Philly were all done in a certain amount of style. I was out most nights checking the clubs and I spent most of my time in Beverly Hills trying to pull Diana Ross lol. Plus hanging out with Soussan and Ike Turner required back-up 'cos I never knew where I might end-up. I got stranded in San Diego, East L.A., San Franciso and Redondo Beach to think of a few places and different situations. I always had enough back-up to crawl back to my Hollywood pad though........

I had nights-out over there that cost me at least a Billy Woods or Del-Larks!  :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I remember getting lists from somebody who called themselves 'Soul Control' in 1971, they used to auction records but I don't think anything went for more than about £2.

Social source share

Sounds about right. I lived a very-full life in the second-half of 1976. New York, L.A., Frisco, and Philly were all done in a certain amount of style. I was out most nights checking the clubs and I spent most of my time in Beverly Hills trying to pull Diana Ross lol. Plus hanging out with Soussan and Ike Turner required back-up 'cos I never knew where I might end-up. I got stranded in San Diego, East L.A., San Franciso and Redondo Beach to think of a few places and different situations. I always had enough back-up to crawl back to my Hollywood pad though........

I had nights-out over there that cost me at least a Billy Woods or Del-Larks!  :lol:

Ian

There must be a book in there surely :D

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ian

Can you remember any of the prices you either bought them for or sold them for please?

I understand that might be asking too much after 40 years :(

Cheers

Martyn

Well, the most I ever remember paying for a record back then was £40 which was for the Tomangoes. Most of the records on that list were bought from 10p to probably £5 or £10 quid. Prices were beginning to rise and I was finding it increasingly more expensive to even buy 'unknowns'. I was doing Wigan, Sams, Cleethorpes and the Central most weeks plus all-dayers every Sunday and other spots dotted around, so I was fairly high-profile so that always added a premium if I wanted a record badly enough. I bought Al De Lory as an unknown in Peterborough and that cost me £12 which I thought was expensive at the time.

I remember selling Lada Edmund Jr for £90.00, I think, to a guy who'd never even heard the record and who drove up from Milton Keynes and insisted in looking at it alone in my kitchen. Plain weird.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just gotta get time to write the sucker..... 

This Northern Soul resurgence is keeping me too busy in the day job..... :lol:

hope this happens, as i never tire of reading your stories, and memories  :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I kept re-reading the list - Diane Jenkins and Bobby Womack - May 75?  Then I read the intro on the actual list - 3 May '76!!

Mike

ps Ian - I pm'ed you on another matter but I don't think you have read it!

Hi Mike,

I did read it and I'm checking it out this week mate! New one on me and I may have to do some digging.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Remember the list well Ian, particularly the first page

As a kid at the time, i used it as a bit of a bible for a bit.

I'm sure i made some bids but didn't get owt off you, i think my paper round wasn't paying quite that much back then LOL

Remember finding quantity of Heinsight a few years later (third on the list and as you said a complete one-off at the time?) and thought i'd struck gold....................

Many thanks for posting this up, great memories

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve Plumb
Social source share

Also the Intrepids as an unknown,what a record ,still underplayed?

Steve

ps i thought i had the Fabulous Downbeats off you in a swap at Cleethorpes for the Chaumonts?(or you had another) :g:

I'd completely forgotten about that Intrepids track until I re-read the list. Just reminded myself of it on You Tube and stunned to see it on a pre-Cotillion label.......great name for a label though!

The Intrepids - To Make You Love Me  Nite Beat

And the Chaumonts sounds feasible as I did have that for a while......

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Remember the list well Ian, particularly the first page

As a kid at the time, i used it as a bit of a bible for a bit.

I'm sure i made some bids but didn't get owt off you, i think my paper round wasn't paying quite that much back then LOL

Remember finding quantity of Heinsight a few years later (third on the list and as you said a complete one-off at the time?) and thought i'd struck gold....................

Many thanks for posting this up, great memories

Cheers

Steve

Actually, that Heinsight record sounds better now then it did back then. A nice funky approach to an all-time classic which would probably sort today's audience more than the mid 70s one.

I wish someone would dig out my Vinyl Junky record list/book. That was 60+ pages from memory.........

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Hey have you ever tried using a manual typewriter from the early 70s? Plus I couldn't type either. I was self-taught so the amount of f*ck-ups to even get it to that stuff was huge. If you look at the first page of records, there was even a bit of physical cut and pasting going on. I'm not sure if Tippex had even been invented back then........ :lol:

I swallowed a whole bottle of Tippex last night Frank....woke up with a massive correction

Social source share

Actually, that Heinsight record sounds better now then it did back then. A nice funky approach to an all-time classic which would probably sort today's audience more than the mid 70s one.

I wish someone would dig out my Vinyl Junky record list/book. That was 60+ pages from memory.........

Now the vinyl junkie list was a work of art Ian - listed records in that a5 booklet size blue colour paper on the front if memory serves right. A plethora of 70 's unknowns in there - Sy Hightower ? and lots of 70 's indie 45's that were not on any one's radar at that time. Remember studying the titles for hours amazed at the quantity of unknowns.  Am i right in thinking it was all up for sale due to pending financial problems .....Vinyl junkie an apt title Ian - doubt you were the only one  in that predicament .....

Social source share

Now the vinyl junkie list was a work of art Ian - listed records in that a5 booklet size blue colour paper on the front if memory serves right. A plethora of 70 's unknowns in there - Sy Hightower ? and lots of 70 's indie 45's that were not on any one's radar at that time. Remember studying the titles for hours amazed at the quantity of unknowns.  Am i right in thinking it was all up for sale due to pending financial problems .....Vinyl junkie an apt title Ian - doubt you were the only one  in that predicament .....

It wasn't particularly financial problems as I've had those all my life lol. It was lack of space problems morr than anything. I had to climb over 3 rows of albums to get into bed and 1000s of 45s were stacked in the cupboard under the stairs (much like now). I was a vinyl junky for a long long time.....

Ian D :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!