Betty Swanne C/u For Sale £2,250

Jim G

I know who it is and I can assure you it is rare.  Andy Dyson discovered it, at least he was the first to play it, then Butch who I think got his copy from Andy.  Don't know who Lee/Steve are selling this one for or if they got it from Andy? 

Social source share

Pathetic to cover up a record

£2250 for this is a joke

Average sounding record nothing immediate nothing memorable

Sounds like an album filler

Just because its rare doesnt mean its any good

Very true indeed, although its probably NOT a joke for the person trying to off load it as potentially it may be discovered on its true label now or in the future in hand fulls as most are ......... :)

Social source share

It is known, as one or two have played it uncovered. I got mine from Butch and it's still covered. Goes down well, played it at Filthy last night. It's not an average album filler either…. It might be Sams copy for sale.

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Makes me want to play a game of "who would I cover this up as?" aka "It sounds a lot more more like ??? than it does Bettye Swann" (as her name is actually spelled...).

Butch covered it as Bettye Swann, Andy had it covered as Lorraine Rudolph I think.

Social source share

So, cover it up, sell for £2K, even though it might be rare. It gets 'uncovered' then someone finds a few cos we all know what it is price drops, buyer peed off. I am all for market supply/ demand etc. But this reeks of deceit to me. (if that offends anyone, then so be it, I am just stating my opinion!)

We are not 17 anymore FFS.

Some serious record finders know what it is and it has not turned up.  As for the practice of covering up been debated loads of times so no point adding to it.  As for selling it covered up couldn't give a toss either way, out of my price range anyway, between the buyer and the seller at the end of the day, same as anything so I keep getting told.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

So, cover it up, sell for £2K, even though it might be rare. It gets 'uncovered' then someone finds a few cos we all know what it is price drops, buyer peed off. I am all for market supply/ demand etc. But this reeks of deceit to me. (if that offends anyone, then so be it, I am just stating my opinion!)

We are not 17 anymore FFS.

Jim, The cats out of the bag.... post 7, Steve G.... Quote- "one or two have played it uncovered"

Walls have ears, talk of the grapevine.... word travels fast on this scene mate  :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

So what is it and who by? !

Doesn't sound anything like Bettye Swann to me, her voice is so distinctive isn't it. This track sounds more like Shirley Johnson "Too Big To Cry" on Lashawn

Social source share

Some serious record finders know what it is and it has not turned up.  As for the practice of covering up been debated loads of times so no point adding to it.  As for selling it covered up couldn't give a toss either way, out of my price range anyway, between the buyer and the seller at the end of the day, same as anything so I keep getting told.

YES CHALKY..............WE'LL NEVER BE THIS YOUNG AGAIN !!

Social source share

Steve

I wasnt being critical of the record

I was critical of the nonsensical use of covering up artists identities and promoting egos

There are no serious djs there are serious collectors who can throw a tune on in my view

Djs are for the dance scene

Its a contradiction in terms a collector finding a great record acknowledging it and then covering it up is disrespectful to that artist

This record imho is nice but not something id pay £2200 mel britt on the other hand well maybe

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Steve

I wasnt being critical of the record

I was critical of the nonsensical use of covering up artists identities and promoting egos

There are no serious djs there are serious collectors who can throw a tune on in my view

Djs are for the dance scene

Its a contradiction in terms a collector finding a great record acknowledging it and then covering it up is disrespectful to that artist

This record imho is nice but not something id pay £2200 mel britt on the other hand well maybe

Sorry Ockers, not being personal but it's you being contradictory, in your post 5.... "average sounding, nothing

memorable, album filler"??? now it's "nice"? :)

Social source share

Hi labeat

No i want being horrid about the record its pleasant but not worth £2200

And steve ha ha i think i saw one for sale yesterday £1250

Out of my league lol

Right, i will let you off because you seem a nice bloke :)

Incidentally, these figures i keep seeing... are they the contact phone numbers :elvis:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Cryptic telephone numbers lol

Could be.....ha ha

I do find it interesting how people set prices for records like these and expect someone to buy it at that price without knowing if its truly rare or not

Another reason why egos should stop doing this practice

Social source share

Hi labeat

No i want being horrid about the record its pleasant but not worth £2200

And steve ha ha i think i saw one for sale yesterday £1250

Out of my league lol

I, you or any seasoned collector only have to see whose site it is listed on to begin questoning the value.  Many items he lists are considered overpriced by the majority.  As said he will either sell it or not.

I'm not sure what it is worth or what the few copies in circulation have sold for, maybe Steve will tell you but I do know it is rare.  Will it turn up, who knows that is the risk any one takes when buying expensive or indemand records.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

"Obviously some people still don't get how difficult it is to find genuinely unknown records and break them. Just maybe then they should stick to "discovering" underplayed Luther Vandross and Teddy Pendergrass tracks. I am sure they'll find some if they look….. " a quote from steve G

I find this consescending and patronising

Collectors collect not to impress by discovering unknown tracks thats just good luck if they do but to find sounds they like irrespective of value

Soul junction records do a great job by making unknown tracks available to us all with some fab tracks from oliver cheatham elbowed out and bill spoon to name but a few and not withold so as a few egos can impress by putting wallpaper in records to disguise them thank you dave and john

I can think of many TP and Vandross records better than this "unknown"

Some people need to see that

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Good morning Ockers.

I for one am not smart enough to "cover-up" discs as some wise lads would recognize the said tune,

but i do understand the reasoning of this in that if all was revealed then other DJ's would be on a

mission to track them down and therefore they all have similar sets to play.... nothing exclusive.

I like to hear when out stand out tracks that only one or two DJ's have and not so much run-of-the-mill

overexposed usuals. Whether we like it or not cover-ups are part and parcel of the Soul scene.  :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Good morning labeat

Its funny but some of the best sets ive heard mix up their sounds to create a good vibe on the night

Its in the grooves that counts

Best £3 i spent about 6/7 years ago maxine weldon i want sunday back again 45 from manship

Cover ups are ludicrous and unnecessary

Its intention was always "ive got something you havent" and some people just need to grow up

Nothing aimed at you sir......

Social source share

Steve

Youre right people di want to hear fresh sounds whether 2015 releases and i enjoy listening to mark merry mick odonnell and yourself for pushing new sounds

Theres a wealth of sounds to hear

I dont like to hear anthem fests but i like to hear well thought out sets with old new and the familiar

I just hate the idea of covering up artists records and some djs used to do this to new records generally those djs who progressed from the northern scene bringing this practice with them

Check out issue 14 voices we went through this back then!!!!

Social source share

One example of a cover-up that is now exposed would be Johnny Praye "Can't get too much love"

This tune now seems to have died a death, i never hear this on the circuit, was it a case of here

today gone tomorrow?

Hardly here today gone tomorrow, it's been played since the early 90's by Butch.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!