Betty Swanne C/u For Sale £2,250

Jim G

Guest ruppy

Its legendary in the Carolinas as hardly anyone there has it. Known copies are mostly over here…First heard this mid 90s, Sam had a copy and sold it….very hard record.

yes  Steve ,I got Sam that copy was shocked when he sold it, i think he regrets it today,

Social source share

It's hardly surprising that some don't venture any further than their armchairs when 45's like this are lauded as 'great' new discovery's . Not any where near the same league as the true 'greats' of NS history .

:sleep3:  :sleep3:  :sleep3:  Not THAT old "chestnut, please???................... :sleep3:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

ain't the trick to post your own view of any track being discussed , respect others views and thats that

2 or 3 day drawn out slug fests over the musical qualities of just one track is never going to go well

have you say and move on..... now!  :D

Social source share

Phil, i,am not saying its as good as this or that,the point is it a great new 45 to the rare Nighter scene goes,down well every where myself,Butch ,Andy ,& Steve play it,and has a lot of miles in it,

Now i aint going to slag off the Jimmy bo hornes of this world a great oldie it  is  ,but if i turned up a a rare nighter every week

having to listen to Jimmy bo horne it would piss me right off,not just me but all the rare Nighter scene crowd who travel far a field to listen to something new

now as a dj who does both upfront  and oldies Allnighters , i know what to play and listen to at both, allnighters different tastes for different people,

and regardless of the price its up for its what the buyers are prepared to pay for a 45

funny enough one of my discovery,s from 14 year ago is on ebay at the moment,Dynamics Lonely man on Dyno

first copy ever to come up for sale on ebay,now a lot of you on here who dont do the rare  nighter scene wont know it

you will in ten mins when you listen to the sound clip.a good few of you Like pete,will say its trash,your opinion

but i tell you this it will fetch over $5000 us ,that proves there is a demand for new tunes ,and people who appreciate

rare 45s from all over the world will pay what ever to get a copy of rare 45s they are chasing

and nice to know the rare scene is healthy and alive,and may it continue

Mick there's no sound clip so we can't comment.

No bids yet.

Social source share

each to their own and all that but i cant believe people are slagging off the dynamics lonely man ! its a fookin incredible piece of soul music,not northern i know but its drenched in pure soul in my opinion

jason

No but I only ever look at things from a Northern perspective if people say they are being played 'out'

Social source share

No but I only ever look at things from a Northern perspective if people say they are being played 'out'

Think too many view records from a straight down the middle "Northern" prospective, compare them to classics if you like when in theory the all-nighter scene hasn't been northern for a long long time.  It is a mix of everything, a real melting pot of styles and tempos.  Not everything will please everyone, it never has and nor will ones taste be catered for all night or even for the large majority of the night but it is the diversity that has contributed to the longevity and health of the scene.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Think too many view records from a straight down the middle "Northern" prospective, compare them to classics if you like when in theory the all-nighter scene hasn't been northern for a long long time.  It is a mix of everything, a real melting pot of styles and tempos.  Not everything will please everyone, it never has and nor will ones taste be catered for all night or even for the large majority of the night but it is the diversity that has contributed to the longevity and health of the scene.

A diversity which saw the numbers of people attending allnighters drop by over 50% when Modern Soul was introduced big time at the end of the 70's

Social source share

A diversity which saw the numbers of people attending allnighters drop by over 50% when Modern Soul was introduced big time at the end of the 70's

And the scene has probably been better for it and without them, I know I enjoy a range of styles and tempos. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

You see that is it in one, which is why you can never understand where I'm coming from!

I fully understand where you are coming from but the all-nighter scene moved on from that view decades ago.  That is why it is pointless even debating the merits of records like this with the likes of those on this topic who continually compare records to those of the mid 70's or who are not or haven't been involved in the all-nighter scene for some time.  I get that some don't have a broad spectrum of taste and like a particular record but it would seem some don't understand that others have a varied tastes.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Vocally it's really good. A proper soul record at least. Judging it by a set of criteria which basically set the parameters to 'would it have been massive at Wigan precisely 40 years ago' is pointless.

You know those people who won't watch football on Sky nowadays because it's just not like how it was in the 60's and 70's?

Social source share

I fully understand where you are coming from but the all-nighter scene moved on from that view decades ago.  That is why it is pointless even debating the merits of records like this with the likes of those on this topic who continually compare records to those of the mid 70's or who are not or haven't been involved in the all-nighter scene for some time.  I get that some don't have a broad spectrum of taste and like a particular record but it would seem some don't understand that others have a varied tastes.

No I understand that people have varied tastes, Jesus Chalky if you ever hear any of my mixed genre podcasts, I just don't, never have, and never will like, other styles of music which are plainly not "Northern Soul" being played at "Northern Soul" venues, you might as well play country and western...oh hang on...

Social source share

You see that is it in one, which is why you can never understand where I'm coming from!

yes but I have A past Pete, covering everything from jazz to jungle; and that past had its soundtrack, its anthems and its good times.

but I'm not stuck in it, or fixated on the music that went with it.

As great as anything ever is I'm just hungry for something new.

Social source share

No I understand that people have varied tastes, Jesus Chalky if you ever hear any of my mixed genre podcasts, I just don't, never have, and never will like, other styles of music which are plainly not "Northern Soul" being played at "Northern Soul" venues, you might as well play country and western...oh hang on...

But these are played at "Northern Soul" venues so it must make them Northern Soul.  As I said pretty pointless debating this.

Social source share

But these are played at "Northern Soul" venues so it must make them Northern Soul.  As I said pretty pointless debating this.

As an aside Chalky,"Tastes sour don't it" ,Barbara Jean English (?),was played in the freestyle room,a similar feel to BS.

Social source share

yes but I have A past Pete, covering everything from jazz to jungle; and that past had its soundtrack, its anthems and its good times.

but I'm not stuck in it, or fixated on the music that went with it.

As great as anything ever is I'm just hungry for something new.

But I love jungle, early jungle - but can't stand drum & bass which it morphed into...

Social source share

Thank-you all you promoters who provide us with 2 & 3 room venues, variety of music is essential. There are a few exceptions like Burnley and 100 club, but by now everyone ought to know their policies before paying a visit. I never use the term now.... Northern Soul, it is, to me..... SOUL.... with added tags of different genre's

• Helpful 1
Social source share

northern soul doesnt really mean owt though, except that which is played at northern soul venues!

Had this same thing about early r&b or later soul being played on the mod scene and people coming up with weird theories about why it wasn't mod, none of which made any sense.

if it got played by mod djs and went down well at a mod do, then it's mod music.

I guess northern soul is pretty much like that isnt it?

things change, you cant rage at it too much. If you think the up front soul scene is too different from the traditional northern soul scene to use the term, then I wouldnt worry about it ; I dont think anyone cares about the term any more, except the nostalgia folks, and bootleg sellers.

Maybe by the same standard, i couldnt call my night a mod night....oh well...

Social source share

But I love jungle, early jungle - but can't stand drum & bass which it morphed into...

I just loved it for about 2 years, not sure nowadays what style you'd call it but it was known as 'jump up' then - very antisocial gangster sounding stuff, love it.

Still got a pile of 12s, hard to imagine music ever getting that badass again.

sorry for off topic

Social source share

Have to admit love opening this site's latest list to have a laugh at the comedy descriptions and prices - the current one has a personal fave, a totally cheap as chips Hal Blaine 45 we've used for 7 years now as the intro music for our live acts for sale priced at uk200 and described as an unknown, at least if the records aren't priceless the entertainment value is close.  This c/u is pretty crap though.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

The critics can say what they like, it always gets people up and dancing.

Don't know it, not heard it, so just an observation here........but you are one of the last people I would expect to think that danceability and quality are always bedfellows! ;-)

Cheers,

Mark R

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Bettye Swann and Dynamics both spun at Soul Essence, OK it's not a northern soul niter, but these aren't old style northern soul records. Both had a good reaction. 

That's good to read Steve, no doubt right records at the right time.

The "Bettye c/up" also went down very well at Rugby in the middle of a set which included Hopkins Brothers, United Sound and Eddie Parker (I'm Gone).

Maybe set selection, time and place are important!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!