Betty Swanne C/u For Sale £2,250

Jim G

Guest son of stan

Nice but but sounds like it is building to a killer chorus and when the chorus comes it's rather a letdown...

Social source share

One example of a cover-up that is now exposed would be Johnny Praye "Can't get too much love"

This tune now seems to have died a death, i never hear this on the circuit, was it a case of here

today gone tomorrow?

Neil,wasn't that exposed years back.? Time to let it lie as Vic and Bob say. :thumbsup:

Social source share

It's a sad state of affairs that we have come to this and Sir Joe etc as the best new discoveries. 

Time me to call it a day?

Two different animals Phil. One soft and cuddly. :) Sir Joe isn't new either. :thumbsup:

Edited by KevH
Social source share

And cover ups are all about going to venues. And its always ironic when second hand record buyers moan about bits of the scene being disrespectful to artists, when its all about their greed for vinyl.

How many people moaning about cover ups actually go to up front venues?

Another example of the Northern scene being  anodynised and sanitised into something it never was.

There are very few on this scene who actually do anything for artists, for the vast majority when it comes to second hand records it is about themselves, their event and as you say mate their greed for vinyl.  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

There are very few on this scene who actually do anything for artists, for the vast majority when it comes to second hand records it is about themselves, their event and as you say mate their greed for vinyl.  

Hard to actually do something for the artist though unless you mean attending live events.My way of saying thanks is by keeping the records,enjoying playing them,and hopefully keeping their memory alive. Most people who collect become greedy at some stage and would trample over folks at times to get a certain want.

There are some good people around who do great things for the artists who are still with us,and their memories.

Sorry off topic. 

Social source share

If i get the opportunity to attend a soul event i just want to hear music that makes me happy tap my feet and feel good

Sadly with having cancer thats a rare event for me

But in good health the above applies

Its still whats in the grooves that matters

We all have a different ear for a tune and thats good but im usually drawn to an event where i know the people who play the music and agree with my ear

Whether a record is £3 £30 £300 or even £3000

Social source share

One example of a cover-up that is now exposed would be Johnny Praye "Can't get too much love"

This tune now seems to have died a death, i never hear this on the circuit, was it a case of here

today gone tomorrow?

Thing is with records like Johnny Praye ..just using this as an example..they are indeed rare records..not many people have them..so when the likes of Butch who plays upfront drops them from the playlist there aren't that many who are capable of playing them...cos the haven't got them..they do come around again..just need to look at some of the records played at Stafford for example..

With reference the Bettye Swann c/up..it.s ok..but doesnt really do it for me...personal taste

Edited by john parker
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Like i said, i don't hear it on the circuit, was it or was it not covered up by Andy during the Middleton era?

Andy got a copy early Lifeline's. Up util then it had been and still was a cover up for Butch, JJ Jackson.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Fair comments re; Johnny Praye. If Butch did play this in the 90's was it covered up back then?

And why then after about a 15 year gap did it get covered, all of a sudden it got plenty of air time.

Posted just b4 reading Chalky's responce

Edited by Labeat
Social source share

To a certain degree your right LA but most people in the majority of venues are not 'collectors' - they just like the music  . Being a 'top collector' definitely does not make someone a 'top DJ' . Also [as has been said before] there are legions of collectors that never set foot in a venue . 'Newies' like the 45 in question seem to have far more interest because they are 'rare' - rather than any musical quality .

Yes, lot's of unassuming collectors out there with records to die for no doubt.

A man in your next village may have a stamp collection worth thousands

• Helpful 1
Social source share

. 'Newies' like the 45 in question seem to have far more interest because they are 'rare' - rather than any musical quality .

In your opinion, obviously, to many people they obviously think it has musical merit. And in all honesty I think Andy D and Steve G have a pretty good record on their taste, so maybe you need to step back from insulting all and sundry, just because you want to prove a point..

Personally its a pretty decent Denise La-Salle type Southern mover I would pay attention to. Its no Larry Clinton on Northern stakes, but then neither are 99% of the cheap records or expensive records that have been played on the scene.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I'm all in favour of cover up's, but they need to be worth covering. Otherwise who cares? 

Again that is your personal taste, others think different otherwise they wouldn't cover it or any record up and play it.  There has been many cover ups not to my taste but I respect the DJ who has covered it and his reasons. It is nigh on impossible to get an unknown today.  And one wonders why many of those at the sharp end offer no information on here when you read topics like this and previously Tommy and the Derby's. 

Social source share

I'm all in favour of cover up's, but they need to be worth covering. Otherwise who cares? 

Ah ha, this is where it is debatable, half of Butch's cover up's a person could like, his other half disliked.

I too am in favour whether i like a tune or not

Social source share

Exactly Phil. Once a c/u is played ,it raises its profile,if a well known dj plays it. All the hounds are out to find it,nothing wrong with that. Interesting that you say "needs to be worth covering". That is indeed a big debate.

Social source share

Ive just listened to Betty Swanne again,and it reminded me of a record i sold on here to a very discerning collector.

Margo and the Soul Trio - "There is no one" on Soul World.

I'd put this record up against BSwann if you're looking for a southern soul feel.

Social source share

Guest ruppy

Any of you attended Go Go Children last Saturday Night,will know it i played it out and packed the floor

now did i play it covered up yes or no, only the Go Go people will know, :shhh:  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

Now back to me Pruning  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

Mick H

Social source share

Ive just listened to Betty Swanne again,and it reminded me of a record i sold on here to a very discerning collector.

Margo and the Soul Trio - "There is no one" on Soul World.

I'd put this record up against BSwann if you're looking for a southern soul feel.

I have that Kev, came out on two label designs too.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have that too and plenty of others will have too since it was a soul pack record, and that's the point….Mar-Go is a known sound whereas Bettye Swann wasn't.

I'll put BS down as a "grower" Steve. :thumbsup: It didn't have the same impact as Mar-go on first hearing,soul pack or not.

Edited by KevH
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Any of you attended Go Go Children last Saturday Night,will know it i played it out and packed the floor

now did i play it covered up yes or no, only the Go Go people will know, :shhh:  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

Now back to me Pruning  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

Mick H

Great minds think alike Mick

I've just come in to take a break from the pruning..Soul Source 'cup of tea and a Twix....

Social source share

Best £3 i spent about 6/7 years ago maxine weldon i want sunday back again 45 from manship

And this is where I think you are missing the point Sean. Finding an "unknown" for the rare soul scene is not about going on JM's site and spending £3 on a decent AND KNOWN ballad / floater / front room soul pack record many of us got years ago…... I just can't imagine Maxine Weldon getting spins at Niters and upfront venues somehow. But I'll let the Soul Source Juke Box Jury make their own minds up about this one….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwwA-TJ17kY

Social source share

You miss my point steve

A mate noticed the 45 and tipped me it was there because its a fantastic tune not to play anywhere other than at home or on radio

Im not interested in breaking records unlike others on here

when attending events or playing music at events its the music that counts for me

Simple as

Social source share

Maybe if those who only hear it through a computer heard it out "Live" they would have a different opinion,

and that can be said for many a mediocre tune.... volume enhances a record

Now that is very true, and I have had to hold my hand up on a few occasions in the past.

However in my defence I have got some very decent quality speakers plugged into my computer these days, and am able to ratchet the volume up to get a better "feel" of any sound file.

Social source share

Guest ruppy

Same reaction at Skeggy and Filthy Soul Mick  :thumbsup:

Like you say Steve the ones slagging this don,t venture any further than there armchair ,a great new discovery

going down dam well at the upfront venues of  the uk & Europe

Edited by ruppy
Social source share

Like you say Steve the ones slagging this don,t venture any further than there armchair ,a great new discovery

going down dam well at the upfront venues of  the uk & Europe

You can't use that old line, I don't have to go out anywhere to hear that it's substandard filler material which would have been laughed out of the place 20 years ago, and of course none of you would play it if it was £20 and on the Stax label anyway.  Upfront...step back more like.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest ruppy

I remember certain average  Jimmy bo Horne on Dade ,Bobby Kline ending up in   Soul Bowl packs

say no more

Edited by ruppy
Social source share

And this is where I think you are missing the point Sean. Finding an "unknown" for the rare soul scene is not about going on JM's site and spending £3 on a decent AND KNOWN ballad / floater / front room soul pack record many of us got years ago…... I just can't imagine Maxine Weldon getting spins at Niters and upfront venues somehow. But I'll let the Soul Source Juke Box Jury make their own minds up about this one….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwwA-TJ17kY

Is that part aimed at my "Margo" post Steve.?

"spending £3 on a decent AND KNOWN ballad / floater / front room soul pack record many of us got years ago"…... 

Its up for sale on CM's for 175$,and has sold anywhere from 36$ to £100,even JM's got 200 on it.So,not that well known i'd imagine or hanging about in everyone's collection .Half a dozen on popsike going back to 2010.

Social source share

Is that part aimed at my "Margo" post Steve.?

"spending £3 on a decent AND KNOWN ballad / floater / front room soul pack record many of us got years ago"…... 

Its up for sale on CM's for 175$,and has sold anywhere from 36$ to £100,even JM's got 200 on it.So,not that well known i'd imagine or hanging about in everyone's collection .Half a dozen on popsike going back to 2010.

No it was a response to Sean. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest ruppy

Phil, i,am not saying its as good as this or that,the point is it a great new 45 to the rare Nighter scene goes,down well every where myself,Butch ,Andy ,& Steve play it,and has a lot of miles in it,

Now i aint going to slag off the Jimmy bo hornes of this world a great oldie it  is  ,but if i turned up a a rare nighter every week

having to listen to Jimmy bo horne it would piss me right off,not just me but all the rare Nighter scene crowd who travel far a field to listen to something new

now as a dj who does both upfront  and oldies Allnighters , i know what to play and listen to at both, allnighters different tastes for different people,

and regardless of the price its up for its what the buyers are prepared to pay for a 45

funny enough one of my discovery,s from 14 year ago is on ebay at the moment,Dynamics Lonely man on Dyno

first copy ever to come up for sale on ebay,now a lot of you on here who dont do the rare  nighter scene wont know it

you will in ten mins when you listen to the sound clip.a good few of you Like pete,will say its trash,your opinion

but i tell you this it will fetch over $5000 us ,that proves there is a demand for new tunes ,and people who appreciate

rare 45s from all over the world will pay what ever to get a copy of rare 45s they are chasing

and nice to know the rare scene is healthy and alive,and may it continue

Social source share

I remember certain average  Jimmy bo Horne on Dade ,Bobby Kline ending up in   Soul Bowl packs

say no more

Sorry, had to laugh at that because I can't stand those two either, but I also can't stand that Buddy Smith record either so it probably says more about my taste than the actual records.  I just never got anything from them, listening wise.

Social source share

funny enough one of my discovery,s from 14 year ago is on ebay at the moment,Dynamics Lonely man on Dyno

first copy ever to come up for sale on ebay,now a lot of you on here who dont do the rare  nighter scene wont know it

you will in ten mins when you listen to the sound clip.a good few of you Like pete,will say its trash,your opinion

Oh come on Mick, you should know by now I speak my mind about things, if it's bad I'll say it's bad, if it's good I'll say it's good, but one thing I won't do is say it's bad just for the sake of it.  I don't really like any crossover records so I was obviously not going to like this 'new' one.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Phil, i,am not saying its as good as this or that,the point is it a great new 45 to the rare Nighter scene goes,down well every where myself,Butch ,Andy ,& Steve play it,and has a lot of miles in it,

Now i aint going to slag off the Jimmy bo hornes of this world a great oldie it  is  ,but if i turned up a a rare nighter every week

having to listen to Jimmy bo horne it would piss me right off,not just me but all the rare Nighter scene crowd who travel far a field to listen to something new

now as a dj who does both upfront  and oldies Allnighters , i know what to play and listen to at both, allnighters different tastes for different people,

and regardless of the price its up for its what the buyers are prepared to pay for a 45

but i tell you this it will fetch over $5000 us ,that proves there is a demand for new tunes ,and people who appreciate

rare 45s from all over the world will pay what ever to get a copy of rare 45s they are chasing

Dynamics - now you're talking quality Mick.!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Dynamics is a Carolionas legendary 45, but mine is vg so I am selective when it comes out :lol:  Agree on the rare scene.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!