The Gaylettes On Black Jack

Quinvy

As said it has been known about for a long time but it's rare, but pretty poor IMO, just too girlie for some and is it good enough for the dancer floor?  It has had plays but nothing what you would consider substantial.  Probably not worked for those who have had a copy and they have either moved it on for something better or put it on the shelf.

Social source share

very rare...but a really average record and probably the worst track on that millionaires cd

edit;.. just revisited that cd and theres a few more ropey tunes on there..the epitome of rarity over quality and the worst out of the 4 goldmine millionaire cds

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

This record is proof in point that rarity does not equate to quality in any way, shape or form. Absolute bobbins lol

Ey up Joan.  I went to Welshpool t'other day and went through a village called Pant and I immediately thought of you :lol:  I nearly stopped, got out and was gonna draw an "S" on the end :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just shows how rare it is when all the knowledgable people on here don't know anything about it.  :yes:

I love it. It was written in 1966/7 by Jesse James, he of 'Love is alright' Northern fame. He persuaded the Philadelphia DJ Sonny Hopson to to form the Black Jack label with him. Not only couldn't they get it promoted, but they shortly afterwards had a big local hit with 'Boogaloo Down Broadway' by The Fantastic Johnny C (Corely).  I presume the stock of the Gaylettes was then forgotten about and/or trashed.  Love is Alright was also released (Cliff Nobles) but after a couple of months radio play got nowhere so they flipped it and 'The Horse' was played,  leading to a huge hit that sold 2 million copies. I'd like to think the lead of the Gaylettes was Shirley Turner.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I love it. It was written in 1966/7 by Jesse James, he of 'Love is alright' Northern fame. He persuaded the Philadelphia DJ Sonny Hopson to to form the Black Jack label with him. Not only couldn't they get it promoted, but they shortly afterwards had a big local hit with 'Boogaloo Down Broadway' by The Fantastic Johnny C (Corely).  I presume the stock of the Gaylettes was then forgotten about and/or trashed.  Love is Alright was also released (Cliff Nobles) but after a couple of months radio play got nowhere so they flipped it and 'The Horse' was played,  leading to a huge hit that sold 2 million copies. I'd like to think the lead of the Gaylettes was Shirley Turner.

I like it too Simon. At least it's northern.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!