Carnival Records

45cellar

Just reading the brilliant "There's That Beat!" magazine got me wondering how many Carnival Records were issued in the U.K.

I have two, but were there more, or were there any that came close to release in the U.K. but didn't make it.

Carnival_CAR_100a.jpgCarnival_CAR_101a.jpg

Looking at the Matrix (& the tri centre) they look similar if not identical to a Philips / Fontana press. Reminds me of a U.K. Blue Stax or Red Atlantic, if you know what I mean

I bought these at the same time, from a second hand shop they were both together in a pile of records.

I know the numbers don't help, because they don't follow the U.S.A. numbering system and being;

CAR 100, CAR 101 doesn't offer any clue's

Manship has 2 copies of CAR 101

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/d/58418/MANHATTANS

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/d/133958/MANHATTANS

Described as extremely scarce, SURELY the label didn't stop after just 2 issues.

To get the "Carnival Records" Logo on a U.K. RECORD. Something that not very many U.S.A. companies achieved in the sixties.

Normally Stateside, London, Fontana etc would have been used.

It just struck me as unusual for an American Label to be used in U.K. format and then shelved when most others were issued in the U.K. on Labels like Sue or the others I've already mentioned

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Just reading the brilliant "There's That Beat!" magazine got me wondering how many Carnival Records were issued in the U.K.

I have two, but were there more, or were there any that came close to release in the U.K. but didn't make it.

Carnival_CAR_100a.jpgCarnival_CAR_101a.jpg

Looking at the Matrix (& the tri centre) they look similar if not identical to a Philips / Fontana press. Reminds me of a U.K. Blue Stax or Red Atlantic, if you know what I mean

I bought these at the same time, from a second hand shop they were both together in a pile of records.

I know the numbers don't help, because they don't follow the U.S.A. numbering system and being;

CAR 100, CAR 101 doesn't offer any clue's

Manship has 2 copies of CAR 101

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/d/58418/MANHATTANS

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/d/133958/MANHATTANS

Described as extremely scarce, SURELY the label didn't stop after just 2 issues.

To get the "Carnival Records" Logo on a U.K. RECORD. Something that not very many U.S.A. companies achieved in the sixties.

Normally Stateside, London, Fontana etc would have been used.

It just struck me as unusual for an American Label to be used in U.K. format and then shelved when most others were issued in the U.K. on Labels like Sue or the others I've already mentioned

As far as UK Carnival releases go, this was the sum total. There's another UK Carnival label, of course, but it features only UK-recorded Ska. Funnily enough, though, I think that both labels were operated over here by Rita and Benny King, who also had the famous (in reggae collector circles, anyway) R & B Discs shop in London's Stamford Hill and on whose other labels, R & B and Ska Beat, some of the best original Studio One Ska tunes were first released in the UK..

Rita and Benny are both long dead and the shop closed more than 25 years ago, so I'm afraid I'm unable to confirm what their deal was with Carnival's Joe Evans and why it only ran to two 45s.

Incidentally, scarce these might be now, but I can recall a time when they were two of the most easily 'junked' UK pressings, certainly in the London area and particularly in shops where you would always find a nice stack of vinatge Jamaican 45s....

TONE :)

Social source share

As far as UK Carnival releases go, this was the sum total. There's another UK Carnival label, of course, but it features only UK-recorded Ska. Funnily enough, though, I think that both labels were operated over here by Rita and Benny King, who also had the famous (in reggae collector circles, anyway) R & B Discs shop in London's Stamford Hill and on whose other labels, R & B and Ska Beat, some of the best original Studio One Ska tunes were first released in the UK..

Rita and Benny are both long dead and the shop closed more than 25 years ago, so I'm afraid I'm unable to confirm what their deal was with Carnival's Joe Evans and why it only ran to two 45s.

Incidentally, scarce these might be now, but I can recall a time when they were two of the most easily 'junked' UK pressings, certainly in the London area and particularly in shops where you would always find a nice stack of vinatge Jamaican 45s....

Got em` both,pain in the arse to sell,posted "can i",off the uk issue,a bit bakc :)

Edited by ken
Social source share

Hi Tone

Thanks for the swift and once again Informative reply, Rita and Benny - Joe Evans, I wonder who first contacted who about these Carnival releases, a lot easier today, with emails, cheaper air travel etc.

We owe such a lot to the people who brought recordings such as these to our shores, such a shame it wasn't as successful at the time as it should have been.

Thanks again

Social source share

Another Carnival UK release...

Was just about to post this one myself. This is the first Carnival recording i ever bought owned. I seem to recall that The New jersey Connection record is very average 80's recording!

Edited by noss
Social source share

Anyone know anything about the people credited on the disc? This is obviously way after Joe's production heyday but it'd be interesting to tie up the loose ends a little. 15 years between the Manhattans 45s and this one? What happened in between I wonder as far as UK "product" was concerned? Label "resurrected" with leased in work maybe?

Any help/details appreciated.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Actually this is not really a UK Carnival release - it's on Ace's short-lived dance subsidiary Nite Life, even though it also has a Carnival logo on the label.

This track is actually considerably better than "very average" - it was a massive floorfiller in the hipper southern clubs of its day, which is probably what prompted my employers to release it here! I wan't working at Ace then, so I can neither remember nor say for sure how many Nite Life releases there were, but I'm pretty certain that the fantastic "Times Are Tight" by Jimmy Young (from elther Pendulum or Delerium records) also came out on the logo.

So, this notwithstanding, there are still really only two records released here, from US Carnival, on the UK Carnival label!

Social source share

The three Kent Carnival CD's have extensive sleevenotes and might answer a few questions.

Wasn't there a 12" by James Perry-April Lady ?

Yes and I'm pretty sure NJC came out on US Carnival too. There's a pretty good discog in the booklet of vol 3, but I'm not near it for a while.

It's not Joe Evans who lectures, he used to go to a class of a lecturer who found out who he was and wrote a book about him. Joe is VERY old and wouldn't be up to lecturing. Terrific bloke though.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Yes and I'm pretty sure NJC came out on US Carnival too.

...It did come out in the States on Carnival on the 'clown' label design, firstly on 12" and then - considerably after the event - on an extremely hard to find, blue vinyl 7". I think "April Lady" might have been a 12" only release, though....

TONE :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!