simon t

Speed Awareness Course?

Has anyone been on one of these? Who runs them?

My neighbour went on one this morning, £90, but no points. Guess what happens about a mile from home on his way back!

Yep. Been on one of these :( Run by a private company ithink on behalf of the police. Sunday morning, 10am, 35 miles per hour in 30 mile zone. Told everyone else on course it was 100mph plus on M6 :thumbsup:

Been on 2 of them, got done at 34 and 35 mph.  You can only do one in 3 years. You are only offered the choice of the course, if you are less than 10mph over the speed limit, it's a very boring half a day.  But it does keep 3 points off your licence.

Guest sharmo 1

went on one the other week run by Leicestershire council , bit boring really but came away with a free copy of the highway code plus nicked all the pens and biscuits. Regards speedy gonzalis.

Serious money making business now - someone I know got done for doing 75 in a 50mph temporary slow down on the M25 (overhead gantries). 6 Points and £2k fine apparently…..You'd certainly be aware of your speed  if you were on the end of that one!

Serious money making business now - someone I know got done for doing 75 in a 50mph temporary slow down on the M25 (overhead gantries). 6 Points and £2k fine apparently…..You'd certainly be aware of your speed  if you were on the end of that one!

Thats not a speeding ticket Steve, that's a prosecution, he must have seriously pissed the judge off, to receive that.

Thats not a speeding ticket Steve, that's a prosecution, he must have seriously pissed the judge off, to receive that.

Nope it was a "ticket" through the post I believe Pete. Long gone are the days of a £40 fine on the M25.

My course cost me an extra £100+ :( .   Was informed that the course would include an eyesight test (reading a Reg plate) and didn't think I'd pass without a prior visit to Specsavers.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

I went on one, I found it really interesting to be honest. It wasn't a telling off and it saved 3 points.

The only problem was twat biker sitting next to me who thought he knew it all. Typical. :lol:

Edited by Matt Male

I went on one thinking it would be boring but actually learnt something. I'm more aware of the speed limit and tend to pull over if someone is tail gating me; where once I'd go over the limit to try and shake them off. I'm an assertive driver and never dawdle but value my licence more than getting caught speeding.

I went on one, I found it really interesting to be honest. It wasn't a telling off and it saved 3 points.

The only problem was twat biker sitting next to me who thought he knew it all. Typical. :lol:

never believe a biker Matt lol

Nope it was a "ticket" through the post I believe Pete. Long gone are the days of a £40 fine on the M25.

Maximum fine you can get on a ticket is £100 and 3 points. 

Maximum fine you can get on a ticket is £100 and 3 points.

That is the minimum not the maximum.

have a read here http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road_traffic_offences_guidance_on_fixed_penalty_notices/#fixed

doing £75 in a 50 he probably got a summons, I doubt very much it was a fixed penalty as it does seem a bit excessive.  

Not been on a speed awareness course but attended a driving awareness course a few years ago, organised by the company I worked for at the time.  The guy presenting the course was an ex police accident investigator.  Lots of top tips for safer driving, most of it common sense stuff, but presented in a way that made it sink in.

Did one a few years ago.

Saved the 3 points on the licence but from this year it does put your insurance up as it's now one of the questions asked on the renewal form.

Went on one a couple of years back. Run by the local authority I think. Actually found it very interesting and worthwhile. Certainly made me aware of my speed and to adhere to the limit.

They bare usually run by an independent "expert" on behalf of the police force.  Our lass has done one, bored to death she was, can't leave either or you don't get a "pass".

As for having to declare on insurance, you should get a discount if you have done one as in theory you should be a better driver for it, unless you live next door to Simon :D

Quite possibly the most boring 4 hours I've ever spent. Yes it was interesting and informative but the 4 hours was just punitive for the sake of it, 2 hours was ample.  Takes about a month before you start nudging over the speed limit again.

Quite possibly the most boring 4 hours I've ever spent. Yes it was interesting and informative but the 4 hours was just punitive for the sake of it, 2 hours was ample.  Takes about a month before you start nudging over the speed limit again.

4 hours? You were lucky, many are the full 8 hours, especially around us. 

4 hours? You were lucky, many are the full 8 hours, especially around us. 

They are making up their own rules then, it's supposed to be 4 hours or 5 hours maximum - unless this:

If you were caught speeding in a different county to where you live, your NIP will come from the local police authority and the regional rules will apply. Not all areas (such as those listed above) offer the speed awareness course .

They are making up their own rules then, it's supposed to be 4 hours or 5 hours maximum - unless this:

If you were caught speeding in a different county to where you live, your NIP will come from the local police authority and the regional rules will apply. Not all areas (such as those listed above) offer the speed awareness course .

Our lass 10 while 6pm. Couldn't leave early or didn't get the pass.  It was in same county as where she was nicked on the M18, South Yorkshire.  I had to make my own tea :lol:

Edited by chalky

I've been thinking about this, whether it did me any good or not.  I've just done about 8 miles round the village and surrounding areas, on all 30mph roads I never went above 30mph, and I realise I've been driving like this since the course, I was never a fast driver, maybe 34/35 in a clear 30 mph road but I definitely stay on the limit now.  So it does work...

I've been thinking about this, whether it did me any good or not.  I've just done about 8 miles round the village and surrounding areas, on all 30mph roads I never went above 30mph, and I realise I've been driving like this since the course, I was never a fast driver, maybe 34/35 in a clear 30 mph road but I definitely stay on the limit now.  So it does work...

30mph. Wish you could do 10 mph half the time on the Manchester roads, there's that much traffic

Steve

The cameras on the gantries were put there just to raise revenue!..............the amount of times i`ve been over the M66 when it`s been clear and they have the sodding speed restrictions up, really hacks me off!!!

Our lass 10 while 6pm. Couldn't leave early or didn't get the pass.  It was in same county as where she was nicked on the M18, South Yorkshire.  I had to make my own tea :lol:

should have rang her mobile (when she was driving) and told her to put her foot down. as you was peckish

Arrrrgh! Just been invited on another one of these! 38mph in Merseyside, 8.15am Sunday morning :(  Can't remember if its been three years since the last one! Might have to take 3 points and £100 fine  :ohmy:

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.