'send Him Back' On Radio 2 Drivetime

My Mrs has the irritating habit of switching the car radio on and off using the ignition key rather than the on/off switch.  However, this evening this turned out to be a good thing as when I jumped in the car just before 6 pm Liza Tarbuck (standing in for Simon Mayo) played the Pointer Sisters' Send Him Back.

Liza simply introduced the track by saying 'here are The Pointer Sisters' (I was expecting Jump or Slow Hand or something similar) but she never name-checked the track or explained why she was playing it.

Weird hearing such a great track on mainstream radio.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Like I said in the other thread, she rather spoilt it by fading it out for the news.

So you think a radio DJ should go on playing tunes when the news are due to be aired? No matter what tune the DJ plays, he's obligated to fade out for the news. Any station. Any time.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

In the 1980s', before Brian Matthew presented Sounds Of The 60's on Radio 2, her dad, Jimmy Tarbuck used to present it and he played loads of obscure American pop and Northern Soul. Maybe some of her influences come from there?

It was a far more enjoyable programme in those days. When Brian Matthew took over, it became a bit dreary, too much Donovan, Lonnie Donegan and Val Doonican.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

In the 1980s', before Brian Matthew presented Sounds Of The 60's on Radio 2, her dad, Jimmy Tarbuck used to present it and he played loads of obscure American pop and Northern Soul. Maybe some of her influences come from there?

It was a far more enjoyable programme in those days. When Brian Matthew took over, it became a bit dreary, too much Donovan, Lonnie Donegan and Val Doonican.

Loads of people presented SOTS before Brian Mathew, including Simon Dee.

Social source share

So you think a radio DJ should go on playing tunes when the news are due to be aired? No matter what tune the DJ plays, he's obligated to fade out for the news. Any station. Any time.

Hi Benji

I think when the DJ is playing a decent tune then let the news wait and let the public enjoy the music. Another 30 seconds isn't going to impact on the outcome of the news. That'll be why I'm not a radio station producer, I would put the audience and music first and the politicians last (and news nearly always starts with a political story).  :hatsoff2:

Atb 

Stu

Social source share

I remember Liza hosting the afternoon show on R2 with Mark Radcliffe many years ago (filling in for the cretinous Steve Wright) and it was cracking fun. The music was generally tripe but occasionally they would play something good which they would obviously enjoy.

Surprised they weren't teamed up for a regular show. They definitely had something.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!