Never Mind Simon Soussan. Who Was Bob Cataneo?

I used to buy and trade records with him in the seventies, and I heard stories about him being involved in bootlegging some northern records.

Anyone know his story?

I had some stuff off him late 70's , early 80's I think , must have seen an advert in something and think I got a list (sorry was that long ago :hypo: ) but remember getting a couple or three copies of the Cassanova Two - Early Bird White demos - Mint (suspect I believe :unsure: ) looked good then though. Sorry not much help I know :lol:

Was he based in California ?

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

Got loads of stuff from Bob including the first copy in the UK of The Inspirations "No One Else Can Take Your Place", the first copies of Marvin Holmes "You Better Keep Her", quantity of Celeste Hardie "You're Gone" and 100's of Don Thomas "Come On Train" and many I copy only of various originals. Oh and quantity of the Johnny Baker 45's too. Went to visit him in Daly City in between seeing Soussan in LA. 

Social source share

great dealer & nice guy, had super stuf off him in the mid 70's inc the first real Four Perfections ( $5 ). I'm sure all the tracks he did were legit tho, big buddie with JA

not so sure they were all legit...i bought a copy of the Jades via his postal address in Daly City..supposedly original, $35 on REE..which i sent him via an international money order,he also listed Danny Monday also a boot i believe, plus others of the time..probably just before Ian D went to the US as he put me onto him...

Social source share

Wasn't he responsible for the Carstairs Red Coach issues. Just something I remember from back then.

Paul

Paul

No, I was . Posted the story on a previous Carstairs thread some years back.

I dealt with Bob and got some great stuff from him including a Carstairs demo just after Ian L started playing it. Still got some of his letters  and  lists , will dig them out .

Accused him of bootlegging Casanova Two and he was very indignant so he may have got it done legit .

Rick

Social source share

Paul

No, I was . Posted the story on a previous Carstairs thread some years back.

I dealt with Bob and got some great stuff from him including a Carstairs demo just after Ian L started playing it. Still got some of his letters  and  lists , will dig them out .

Accused him of bootlegging Casanova Two and he was very indignant so he may have got it done legit .

Rick

Sorry about that Rick. I was either told it or remembered it incorrectly. Was that when you were at Global?

Paul

Social source share

Sorry about that Rick. I was either told it or remembered it incorrectly. Was that when you were at Global?

Paul

Paul

Yes, at Global.

Bob Cataneo  may have been blamed for the Carstairs demo bootleg but I have never heard that and wouldn't suggest he did them.

Someone once told me Bob was obsessed with security at his home and had installed heavy doors and multiple locks, anyone confirm this?

Rick

Social source share

Paul

Yes, at Global.

Bob Cataneo  may have been blamed for the Carstairs demo bootleg but I have never heard that and wouldn't suggest he did them.

Someone once told me Bob was obsessed with security at his home and had installed heavy doors and multiple locks, anyone confirm this?

Rick

I went round to his place in '76 but didn't notice any undue security. Nice guy who they called 'Disco Bob' over there. He did seem to disappear from view quite quickly, so I always wondered what happened to him....?

Ian D  :D

Social source share

Wasn't he responsible for the Carstairs Red Coach issues. Just something I remember from back then.

Paul

Paul

Just found this letter from Bob Cattaneo which explains your Carstairs bootleg memory.

He seems to think it was OK to sell the Carstairs and Servicemen boots as long as he didn't actually arrange the pressings.

The Casanova Two record he claims were not boots were the very thin demos which he possibly could have got done by Early Bird, but who knows.

Rick

post-16601-0-68140200-1429215017_thumb.j

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Here are some of Bob's lists

post-16601-0-16144100-1429215437_thumb.j

post-16601-0-48669300-1429215365_thumb.j

post-16601-0-36791400-1429215324_thumb.j

When I first bought from him he got records from my wants list but later stopped this and issued his sales lists. I think he must have built up quite a big stock and knew what prices to ask.

Later on he had to get rid of his bulk titles and issued a sale list. I got some of these from him but I think Neil Rushton bought a lot from him.

The "C Hardie" is Celeste Hardie and were 50p each.

post-16601-0-81619400-1429216013_thumb.j

Rick

post-16601-0-89724800-1429215400_thumb.j

Social source share

Paul

Yes, at Global.

Rick

I went to his house many times, and don't remember any special security.

His name is spelt : "Cattaneo" (Italian).

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Paul

Just found this letter from Bob Cattaneo which explains your Carstairs bootleg memory.

He seems to think it was OK to sell the Carstairs and Servicemen boots as long as he didn't actually arrange the pressings.

The Casanova Two record he claims were not boots were the very thin demos which he possibly could have got done by Early Bird, but who knows.

Rick

attachicon.gifbob c letter 001.jpg

Thanks for that Rick. It's amazing what I can remember from 40 years ago. The rumour was certainly a strong one.

Paul

Social source share

No I don't remember telling you that Rick but I did go there with Mark Edmund in 1980 and it could be that I did notice that and told you but have forgotten since.

What I do remember is arriving with Mark [who knew him better than I did] and chatting generally in front room. Then a knock on the door.  He came back with two "heavies" and looking agitated. I just thought they looked like the "mob".

He ushered us downstairs to large basement and remained upstairs with them for quite a while.

Once he rejoined us, him and Mark went off out of my sight whilst I looked.  I could hear them and picked up on a lot of snuffling and snorting.  I was familiar obviously with speed but had not come across cocaine use up until then.

From talking to Mark afterward, I concluded he was into coke and maybe owed the guys who turned up. So maybe he did have security that I've now forgotten about.

I did hear he disappeared for a while some time after.

ROD

Social source share

No I don't remember telling you that Rick but I did go there with Mark Edmund in 1980 and it could be that I did notice that and told you but have forgotten since.

What I do remember is arriving with Mark [who knew him better than I did] and chatting generally in front room. Then a knock on the door.  He came back with two "heavies" and looking agitated. I just thought they looked like the "mob".

He ushered us downstairs to large basement and remained upstairs with them for quite a while.

Once he rejoined us, him and Mark went off out of my sight whilst I looked.  I could hear them and picked up on a lot of snuffling and snorting.  I was familiar obviously with speed but had not come across cocaine use up until then.

From talking to Mark afterward, I concluded he was into coke and maybe owed the guys who turned up. So maybe he did have security that I've now forgotten about.

I did hear he disappeared for a while some time after.

ROD

Rod

Thanks for that , so I've not completely lost the plot even if the details are a little hazy now.

The letters I got from Bob did go on at length not unlike some all nighter patrons !

Rick

Social source share

When I was studying at Berkeley in 76, I used to visit him every week to buy 45s and LPs.  His girl friend, Rita and her son, Steve were living with him at the time.  After I came back to Japan, Bob was sending me about 200 copies of new released 45s to me every month.  He had to give up a dealer/collector due to the fact that someone stole his inventories on the shelves while he was in a trip to buy records.  At that time, his girl friend and son had already left him, so no one was in his house. He wrote a letter to me like that.  After he gave up the dealer/collector, he became a track driver.  I only know of his story until this and do not know where he is now.

As far as I remember, there was no such special security at that time.

Edited by picky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I remember Bob having a shit load of The California Playboys LP, back in the day, late 70's must have got 10 from him to sell on. He also had a fair few Ty Karim - Lightin' up, which I bought 10 of also, only to receive them and find it was the 70's version. Ended up giving most of them away, as no one wanted them then.

I had a Ty Karim off you at Stafford for £5 , resold it though for same price after realising it wasn't the faster version .How the hell could I have done that ,I must be mad...

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!