Record Prices

Tezza

John's book needs updating as it's a while since the last edition was published. That said, what he actually sells records for is one price in comparison to eBay where prices fluctuate quite drastically at times. Because the soul market is so volatile at times with latest in-sounds being chased by a small number of highly competitive bidders, the latest price guide would be inaccurate within a few moths. Nevertheless, a new guide would be most welcome, especially a variation on the fifth edition complete with a bootleg catalogue and label scans.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest turntableterra

the weight of the suggested book would be too much. 2.5 kg almost for 5th and poss 3 with the boot guide.  I know to import a book was the same price as the actual book 3 years ago, I actually ordered 35 to make it viable. you will probably see an app on the p.c. next.

Social source share

Agree with you Tezza about prices at the moment.Seems like a lot of people just pluck daft sums out of the air at times and chance their luck that the buyer has more money than sense.It does appear to be worse now than normal with the usual 50 quid records being priced double the amount.Some of the dealers must have records unsold for years.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Personally I am of the opinion that a record is worth what you want to pay for it and not the price any guides say, the proof is that prices vary all over the place so who can really say what the real value is - except the buyer - feel free to shoot me down.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Personally I am of the opinion that a record is worth what you want to pay for it and not the price any guides say, the proof is that prices vary all over the place so who can really say what the real value is - except the buyer - feel free to shoot me down.

You are absolutely spot on-and this is why the prices are generally so high!

Recession-what recession?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think the worst is still to come for the perceived ott prices. Over the coming months there will be 1000's of  collectors or returnees who will be taking advantage of the new pension rules and will be determined to take probably  their last chance of owning that record that they have always wanted.

This is when we will see once and for all that prices are determined by buyers and not sellers.

Social source share

The record's worth what the individual with the deepest pockets is prepared to pay for it , not what you're prepared to pay .

If an Auction is started and the price rockets off to an astronomical level then sobeit.  Trouble is that people are putting things on at a ridiculously high Starting Price or Buy It Now Price.  Make an enquiry about a record someone has for sale and they ask big monies.  Obviously not every record or every seller but it is starting to become the norm. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!