John Lennon's Jukebox

Legend has it that at the time of his murder John Lennon kept a juke-box in his NY apartment that was stocked with nothing but Arthur Alexander singles.

If you listen to Arthur Alexander Dot recordings from the early sixties such as 'Where Have You Been' and 'Soldier of Love' the similarity to that sound and the early sound of the Beatles is remarkable. And of course the Beatles did record Arthur penned tunes such as 'Anna', as did the Rolling Stones with 'Better Move On.'

How many people out there have spent miuch time listening to this great country soul performer?

post-1904-1100146021_thumb.jpg

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Keep Her Guessing  :P

link

Yes. That seems to be the one that everyone on the NS scene seems to know. But there really is a lot more to Arthur Alexander than 'Keep her Guessing'. Ace put out an album of 60s stuff sometime in the 80s ( which included KHG ) - I think it was called 'A Shot of Rhythm & Soul'. And then there was a later LP iof 70s stuff. I can't remember who did that. But there were some very good notes by Clive R, the Radio dj who also posts on here I think, on it.

Social source share

Lennon and and a whole load of other sixties bands played Arthur Alexander songs. A few years ago Record Collector did a survey on what Merseybeat bands performed live and recorded. After I(I think) Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly, Arthur Alexander was the third most popular source of songs. Johnny Kidd and the Pirates must have been the first UK group to do a cover of "A Shot of Rhythm and Blues".

As you said the Beatles and the Rolling Stones covered his songs along with The Bee Gees.

Lennon did have a portable juke box which he carted about with him on tour and there was a film about it on The South Bank Show earlier this year. Unfortunately Arthur did not make the cut for the accompanying album probably because no film existed of him which they could have used in the documentary.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=samples#disc_1.

FrankM

Social source share

Yes. That seems to be the one that everyone on the NS scene seems to know. But there really is a lot more to Arthur Alexander than 'Keep her Guessing'. Ace put out an album of 60s stuff sometime in the 80s ( which included KHG ) - I think it was called  'A Shot of  Rhythm & Soul'. And then there was a later LP iof 70s stuff. I can't remember who did that. But there were some very good notes by Clive R, the Radio dj who also posts on here I think, on it.

link

I really like his version of Rainbow Road, supposed to be about him, think I have this on album but not listened to it for a while, I am a fan of country soul so do like his stuff I have heard, although not actually heard as much as I should probably.

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!