Is Jack Montgomery The Most Auctioned Record?

ruby andrews.. just loving you and garland green.. girl i love you on revue are others... what quality tho

That answers a little question I was going to ask ages ago as to why most copies of the above and Jack Montgomery are usually trashed , never thought it could be that there were loads out there in normal collections and were hammered lol  :thumbsup:

Swifty 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That answers a little question I was going to ask ages ago as to why most copies of the above and Jack Montgomery are usually trashed , never thought it could be that there were loads out there in normal collections and were hammered lol :thumbsup:

Swifty

Swifty. My old Garland Green revue demo was a minter mate

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Begs the question why so many keep paying so much for a record when in comparison to others is pretty common.  It should be in the 30/40 quid bracket.

Belita Woods 'Magic corner was another one , used to be on ebay every week, usually trashed from the same old stocks with no sleeves. and yet people still keep shelling out for them. Maybe some folks only look on an occasional basis or just don't get it!.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

That answers a little question I was going to ask ages ago as to why most copies of the above and Jack Montgomery are usually trashed , never thought it could be that there were loads out there in normal collections and were hammered lol  :thumbsup:

Swifty 

May well have been a party record back in the day. Lots of Chicago collections coming to market show considerable ring-wear suggesting the records were spread out on the floor around the record player and were swirled around as punters picked the next play. I'm in Texas at present, in and out of antique malls, and seeing plenty of those old wire toast-rack type record holders that must have damaged so many records filed without sleeves.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Currently three copies of Dearly Beloved in the most viewed listing. Countless copies, amongst his other releases, spanning nearly 20 pages on Popsike. Could this be the most frequently auctioned Northern record or are there others that have been put up for bids more often?

Eddie Holman "I surrender" has got to be up there. Must be something like three copies a week going through eBay for the last year or more and the price just keeps going higher and higher.

Thought it expensive at £30 a couple of years ago but in recent times it's going for triple that - and that's the ABC issue!  :dash2: 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Thing to bear in mind with the Scepter 45 is that mint copies were priced at ten quid on Soul Bowl when not much else around in that quantity was. It seemed to be priced on quality rather than availability—it's a stone classic and will always sell.

Also worth noting that there are a few variants. Demos from at least three plants plus issues from at least as many sources plus the variations of the title.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Absolutely fantastic record! Used to be about £15 really well spent.

Don't Turn your back is absolute magic but one of the many great, downbeat things there doesn't appear to be a real place on 'the scene' for nowadays it seems; its poorer for that too IMHO.

I still play Don't Turn Your Back Phil out and about occassionally, usually my last record but leaves it difficult for someone to follow lol

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thing to bear in mind with the Scepter 45 is that mint copies were priced at ten quid on Soul Bowl when not much else around in that quantity was. It seemed to be priced on quality rather than availability—it's a stone classic and will always sell.

Also worth noting that there are a few variants. Demos from at least three plants plus issues from at least as many sources plus the variations of the title.

I don't think or I haven't seen anyone knocking the quality, Jack Montgomery hasn't done a bad record really.  I can think  of quality records that sell for less that are just as if not rarer than JM.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

By Jack? "Baby, Baby take A Chance On Me"?  That is what I was playing late 80's early 90's at Tracky, Hollingwood etc.

Sorry, i actually meant "any" record, just about heard it everywhere (scepter)

Edited by Labeat
Social source share

Thanks for all the comments.. Keep'em coming. Just about to fly from Austin to Chicago with a small box of goodies so looking forward to picking up on this in London tomorrow.

You go to the record fair? it got cancelled last year. Do let us know how it went, what was available, dealers etc

Social source share

I don't think or I haven't seen anyone knocking the quality, Jack Montgomery hasn't done a bad record really.  I can think  of quality records that sell for less that are just as if not rarer than JM.

the only one I've let go was 'Beauty Isn't Born', remember getting very excited about it, only to decide it's his worst record, its nice and all that, but its a forgettable song.. that said the bar was always right at the top wasn't it...

always thought of him on a par with Bobby reed, both didnt relase much, but 3/4 45's they did are right up there... and both have a lesser track here and there.....I wonder, somebody must have discovered other tracks he (JM) recorded but never came out?

mal

Edited by Mal C
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Belita Woods 'Magic corner was another one , used to be on ebay every week, usually trashed from the same old stocks with no sleeves. and yet people still keep shelling out for them. Maybe some folks only look on an occasional basis or just don't get it!.

Funny that, thought about Belita Woods when reading down this thread before I seen your post.

Always seemed to be trashed too.

Great tune though.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

the only one I've let go was 'Beauty Isn't Born', remember getting very excited about it, only to decide it's his worst record, its nice and all that, but its a forgettable song.. that said the bar was always right at the top wasn't it...

always thought of him on a par with Bobby reed, both didnt relase much, but 3/4 45's they did are right up there... and both have a lesser track here and there.....I wonder, somebody must have discovered other tracks he (JM) recorded but never came out?

mal

Beauty Isn't Born has been a big fave at Soul Essence for its sheer Soul quality, it doesn't have to be 100 miles an hour to be ranked as good surely ?

I have a recording in the same style as "Beauty isn't Born" titled "It's just a miracle" that was credited to JM but I  have never been able to qualify that, but whenever I have played it's been well recieved just like "Beauty"

In my opinion all JMs releases are quality!

to to my knowledge he only had 4 releases and there must be something somewhere.....we can live in hope.

Dave

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Nice copy on auction with 7 hours to go and nudging $300 - looks a beaut in it's company sleeve, mint and unplayed until sampled for the soundbite. Sadly for Jack, the drill hole goes through his name - would this put buyers off? Weird that this release sold plenty of copies, but this one was consigned to the fate of the BB gun. Hope it finds a good home.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!