Up Front?

Genuine question. I’ve seen the term ‘up front’ in a few threads and presume it’s used like oldies, modern, crossover etc. Are there specific venues and DJ’s? What tunes would be classed as examples of this genre and are any of them considered as ‘classic’ up front sounds or would that be an oxymoron?

Social source share

Guest Soulsurfer

To keep with the question posed by the thread originator, here are some examples of tunes getting spins on the upfront scene:

Wayne Carter - Mad Mouth Woman (Mootreys)

Sir Henry Ivy - He Left You Standing There (Future Dimension)

Joseph Webster - My Love Is So Strong (Crow)

Rich Ward - My Baby She's Gone (Hit)

Social source share

The past, present & future.... Soul is Soul. You can drive a brand new discovery but collect 60's oldies, others buy vinyl newish discovery's but drive a banger. The term "up-front" most certainly applies to the current crop of early 70's that

is constantly being found. It is what a minority have chosen as their leash of life.

Actually, it can be a cause of debate.... The Ravins & The Parliaments are definitely "Northern" as both are 60's

productions but both were 2000's+ "Newcomers", so what are their description.... oldies, newies, up-front?

Social source share

'Oxymoron' a figure of speech that combines two apparently contradictory ideas i.e northern soul :wicked:

Dave

Or good R'n'B :wicked: :wicked: 

Have a good week folks :D

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

10 years or so ago, and in the case of at least one 25 years, maybe, but these would more than likey be played at Kings Hall  today.  Jospeh Webster and Henry Ivy especially so have crossed over to the oldies nights, both been around since the mid to late 80's.

Upfront?  Just another pigeon hole used by some to differentiate one kind of night from those that are basically oldies and classics only. F*** all to do with OVO as many oldies nights advertise as this, again another useless term.  We do like to complicate things on this scene.

Or "Real Deal" Chalky?

Whatever description you use to promote an event, someone will pull it to pieces. 

Social source share

I had a bash at explaining it here, albeit in a specific context (£25.00 records) though the premise of the article was to challenge the perceived idea of the term "up front".

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/articles/soul-articles/£2500-and-under-the-challenge-r2929

In a broad sense, I think the notion of up-front culture within the soul scene, and I say culture because it extends beyond genre for me, is the overall approach to the music /  venue / aesthetic. 

For example, you wouldn't have an upfront night with loads of baggies, and you wouldn't really want to hold it in a damp working mans club. So i'd argue that its part of a shift in the scene on the whole - more city centre based, free entry (doing away with old promotion cartels and the bullying that goes on about 'someones patch'). I wouldn't say its a largely younger movement though...but I od think it has a lot to do with the space thats used!

N.B. Sorry for the typos in the attached link, i'd written the article on the train, on my phone. 

Edited by TailorMade Gaz B
Social source share

To keep with the question posed by the thread originator, here are some examples of tunes getting spins on the upfront scene:

If thats the future then give me the past, liked the Sir Henry thing, the rest are cack especially that last one, it's like a joke record with that out of tune wah wah effect

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don;t wish to sound disrespectful, as NS these days is very much each to their own...but if these 4 were played consecutively at an event/venue classed as a NS nighrt I would be saying " one more like that love and we're off!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Mad mouth woman is oldie

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Mad mouth woman is oldie

They all are. :lol:

It's when you are dancing at the back of the room and your mate wants to dance by the stage he says, 'Are you going up front?' and a good record comes on and you join him. That's an 'up front' record. That's where the saying comes from. Honest. :thumbsup:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Up front, Y front, back to front, what does it really matter? Just go out and enjoy yourselves with an open mind.

All venues are established now in all parts of the country so take note of the dj's, if you dislike their material then

don't go

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

So if you go to the back of the room when a record comes on their must be an "Up Back" scene.

I think the term is 'outback', and if you drift to the back of the room and then you wander to the stage again, you are 'back to front'. :)  

Up back is a different scene altogether...

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

They will indeed Phil, it is simply Lifeline Rare Soul Club these days.  I've never liked the term upfront or even Northern Soul.  It was usually rare Soul in the 80's.  But today every aspect of the scene has to have a tag or term and be picked apart, why we just can't simply "get on with it" is beyond me.  Things were much easier with everything in one room.

Better with 2 rooms isn't it now at Lifeline..... added variety. During the course of an evening the R&B room can have slightly more folk in, so i think it's good you can drift in and out.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sir Henry Ivy is a reactivated oldie.I'm sure it was played by Soul Sam as was the Rufus Wood 2001 record at the end of Wigan.I heard James Pogson play the Sir Henry Ivy and eventually got one...am I upfront.No I think I like a good record.Im with Pete though I don't rate the other records.

Social source share

I think the term is 'outback', and if you drift to the back of the room and then you wander to the stage again, you are 'back to front'. :)  

Up back is a different scene altogether...

And I still haven't figured out what 'tittyshakers' are.

I don't stand a bloody chance of keeping up with the current trends...........

Social source share

i've been into northern soul for almost 40 years and i have never heard any of these tracks before (and i've djed for 25 years) show me somewhere close to me playing this type of our music (due to circumstances i can't now travel too far) and i would be there in a heartbeat.

Social source share

i've been into northern soul for almost 40 years and i have never heard any of these tracks before (and i've djed for 25 years) show me somewhere close to me playing this type of our music (due to circumstances i can't now travel too far) and i would be there in a heartbeat.

Funny how tastes change?

25 years ago when Henry Ivy and Joseph Webster were being played in the modern room all the 60s guys used to turn their noses up and go straight to the northern room.

Rock City being a classic example.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Soulsurfer

If thats the future then give me the past, liked the Sir Henry thing, the rest are cack especially that last one, it's like a joke record with that out of tune wah wah effect

I love the Rich Ward - in fact, I've just bought one Pete  :thumbup:  :shhh:

Social source share

Upfront ffs lol

Going by venues using this term it would appear to be the not good enough 'funky edged' stuff they're referring to? Absolutely not for me, no way no how. Total bobbins

My new year's resolution is to be less tolerant ... it's going well :lol:

I may disagree with you on some of these, but love the way you say it, proper 80's girl :-)

And yes 2 out of the 4 arent very good!

Social source share

Always took it to mean leading or cutting edge in terms of soul music, a progressive mindset from promoter and djs he/she selects.............

By default that would exclude most well known tunes - least place them in the minority of tunes played.    No oldies night can be upfront.................

These days seems to sit with the funky edged crowd or the more mellow 70ts and crossover types................

All "just" labels - but many use them, don't seem to do any harm........

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Mine hasn't. Three of em are still total and utter bobbins and t'other is ordinary at best and, as you suggest, none of those would constitute pushing anything anywhere new and exciting would they (apart from me over the edge)  :lol:

I feel a a bit for the person who posted them as examples to be honest as that was a genuine attempt to be helpful I think but the choices and any attempt to 'categorise' them was always gonna get panned wasn't it. Realistically, in 2015 how many real quality, new [60s / crossover] things are left out there? Fair play to anyone who is at least actively looking for em though!

I tend to agree with those folk who've already suggested that 'upfront', like all the other labels and sub genres, is pretty meaningless and unhelpful. I just look at who's dj-Ing and decide from there really.

We can argue endlessly [come to think of it we do] on this forum. But the paragraph above says it all. 

Hats off to those trying to keep it going. But if I'm not constantly thinking "wow what is this" when I go out, then what's the point?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!