Up Front?

15 years ago a Modern event was considered Up-front if it played predominantly Soulful House.

Seems that you Northern punters have stolen yet another thing from the Modern scene.

But Cunnie, Up-front (for want of a better word) is not Northern, and no-one has stolen anything.

Northern Soul, correct me if i'm wrong, is records made from 1965-1969. Anything made after

that period i prefer to call just.... Soul  :)

• Helpful 3
Social source share

We can argue endlessly [come to think of it we do] on this forum. But the paragraph above says it all. 

Hats off to those trying to keep it going. But if I'm not constantly thinking "wow what is this" when I go out, then what's the point?

Tbh Phil I gave that level of expectation up several years ago mate, never gonna happen and you just set yourself up to be disappointed and disillusioned. That said, you do still hear the odd thing which fires you up as of old and like nothing else but, I think most of us would agree, they're fewer and farther between, inevitably.

What's the point then? For me, hearing what I think are quality soul records - whatever anyone wants to call em on top of that - from around 1965-70, well put together, consistently and a bit creatively, over the course of a night, by people who know what they're doing, on a decent sound system, preferably not in an absolute sh*thole.

Still get a buzz out of that I've not found anywhere or doing anything else. 

Edited by PhilT
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Upfront promoters and Upfront DJ,s means they just like the missionary position  no excitement, they've all got fed up with Crossover another excuse for  the Boffins of Ballyhoo music.Where everybody can pretend they are experts. come on Guys lets tell it like it is.

Mick L

Social source share

Upfront promoters and Upfront DJ,s means they just like the missionary position  no excitement, they've all got fed up with Crossover another excuse for  the Boffins of Ballyhoo music.Where everybody can pretend they are experts. come on Guys lets tell it like it is.

Mick L

Mick, think of the Empires.....??? surely thats exciting. It's all Soul at the end of the day.... be happy  :rofl:

Social source share

But Cunnie, Up-front (for want of a better word) is not Northern, and no-one has stolen anything.

Northern Soul, correct me if i'm wrong, is records made from 1965-1969. Anything made after

that period i prefer to call just.... Soul  :)

Neil. Why quote northern soul as just been from 1965-1969. Yes I understand that plenty of soul records where released in those years, but many if not even more where released after that time.

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

" Up Front " is a totally meaningless term, just another daft label ,promoters like to use  :shhh:

Bazza

I don't think they're daft - I see them as a way of letting folk know what a venue is about, and most of us get the gist from these descriptions (Even the 'well known' term 'Philosophical') :D 

I haven't been (yet) but 'Pure Soul' kinda gives me 'an inkling' that I will be hearing 'Pure Soul' if I decide to go - It is an attraction to me at least, whereas some other descriptions may lead me to decide not to go (meaning, ok a particular event is not for me)

Point being, I do think these descriptions can be helpful, especially if you like to try lots of different venues (which is a trend with some folk nowadays)

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Neil. Why quote northern soul as just been from 1965-1969. Yes I understand that plenty of soul records where released in those years, but many if not even more where released after that time.

Steve

I agree Steve, most of the 70's oldies are Northern Soul if that is the term people wish to use.  There's plenty of 80-'s and 90's, the odd 00's track that is Northern Soul as well, Drizabone, Angie Stone etc.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I Don't for one moment think that that new discoveries  shouldn't be looked for and played at NS nights and all biters I run at present probably one of the most exciting promotions along with Andy Mcabe in the country where the best of the old is played with the best of the new if it stopped being exciting I'd change things because I will always listen to the punters because it's them what matter I've been involved with music over 50 years of soul and dance I've DJ,d MC,d and danced and done security for a lot of the artists who we admire on this scene.ive been in the clubs all over the USA and danced with the brothers and am proud to say have been told by the same brothers hey man you've got it.Ive always ran proper biters proper raves full on with quality music. forget Upfront or crossover what the word should be is the best at what your doing. if you don't  you should be open to criticism and change your format.Always striving for the right Balance so most people go home happy instead of a few.I am always looking to re activate quality oldies.There are by the way no handbag gers or Beer monsters at Stateside just good soulies who love a good time whatever their reasons are listening, dancing or memories and Nostalgia it all adds up to make a great night and that's all you can do.So I if what your saying is upfront Stateside must be upfront with all the rest

Peace Love n Tranquility ML.      Excuse the biters I meant Niters :yes:

SOLD! See ya Sat bite :wink: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Steve

Well Steve, i can't call it Northern 1970 onwards. Isn't x-over/modern/soul? Northern will always be 60's soul to me.

A.T.B mate

Neil

Social source share

I wonder, how many of the people adding to this thread are Dj's? quite a few I think, your all certainly hard core collectors... I bet you lot wont ever agree on what 'Up Front' actually is, so how do you expect the people that come to your do's to make anything of the term? 

They cant, Its a bull shit term used to describe an imaginary selection of tracks, probably currently of the so called  'Funky' variety, played by a minority... as a collector I have to say I'm now bored shirtless with the term...

But looking at the bigger picture from my little house here on the Chiltern Hills, I think the Soul scene is at a very big cross roads just now, there is a shift of ownership of 45's like no other, and I bet in years to come, the 'Northern' room and all the old 6ts / 7ts stuff will be the one at the back, and the stuff thats filling the main rooms will be predominantly new releases... and they will drop old tracks in to spice it up...that will be your 'Up front'...

food for thought..

Mal.C :huh:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest the fifer

I agree Steve, most of the 70's oldies are Northern Soul if that is the term people wish to use.  There's plenty of 80-'s and 90's, the odd 00's track that is Northern Soul as well, Drizabone, Angie Stone etc.

Drizabone , Angie Stone , Tribute to Betty  et al..... i tend to call Normodden 

Derek

Social source share

I can still remember going to all-niters and hearing tracks that i had never heard before and loving it. i don't want to hear the same tracks every time that i get out, i don't care what you want to label it as if i can dance to it i will.

Social source share

I wonder, how many of the people adding to this thread are Dj's? quite a few I think, your all certainly hard core collectors... I bet you lot wont ever agree on what 'Up Front' actually is, so how do you expect the people that come to your do's to make anything of the term? 

They cant, Its a bull shit term used to describe an imaginary selection of tracks, probably currently of the so called  'Funky' variety, played by a minority... as a collector I have to say I'm now bored shirtless with the term...

But looking at the bigger picture from my little house here on the Chiltern Hills, I think the Soul scene is at a very big cross roads just now, there is a shift of ownership of 45's like no other, and I bet in years to come, the 'Northern' room and all the old 6ts / 7ts stuff will be the one at the back, and the stuff thats filling the main rooms will be predominantly new releases... and they will drop old tracks in to spice it up...that will be your 'Up front'...

food for thought..

Mal.C :huh:

That'll do me then....anything that will keep it exciting, interesting, soulful & danceable.....Mecca, Wigan, Stafford, to name but 3, always played new & relatively new releases, as have the best Nighters over the course of our history....

Best Russ 

Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

15 years ago a Modern event was considered Up-front if it played predominantly Soulful House.

Seems that you Northern punters have stolen yet another thing from the Modern scene.

30 years ago most on the the Northern were listening to and some even dancing to recent release stuff,  before the "modern" boys broke away from All Nighters to their soul night based scene. Upfront was just a given on the Northern scene, you are rewriting history. Give it back.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It appears yet again 40 years of Northern scene being redifined by a few years when people could be assed going out. Hilarous.

Thank f**k I only listen to tibetan pan music soul now, the scene is much friendlier.

Edited by jocko
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

30 years ago most on the the Northern were listening to and some even dancing to recent release stuff,  before the "modern" boys broke away from All Nighters to their soul night based scene. Upfront was just a given on the Northern scene, you are rewriting history. Give it back.

And most of these Modern boys are back on the Northern scene now interestingly enough. Arthur Im looking right at you :D  :D

Social source share

If certain people have decided that "the soul scene" is their preferred social life, then that's fine and dandy. It's just the same as any other club / pastime / social scene. But to try and make out that it is still a cool, underground and cutting edge music scene is just nonsense.

Most of the people who throughout the years have been at the cutting edge, or who have really lived for the music, have long since realised there isn't any fresh material, and have moved on.

There's nothing wrong with loving "the scene" and wanting to keep it going. 

But for "upfront" we should probably be using that other well used description, "underplayed / lesser known" but even this can be very contentious. 

I've said earlier Phil new stuff is still out there.  What do you base the above on? It isn't experience is it! I agree there is not an abundance of it but what there is and some imaginative DJing from those with knowledge and experience to a fall back on is keeping the scene somewhat fresh.  Many of those I have know since the mid 80's are still about in some way.

there are plenty of clubs trying to do somethg different with healthy numbers through the door.  Yes they are a minority when compared to Kings Hall attendances but they are still alive and kicking.

Again there are too many knocking one particular aspect of the scene with little or no knowledge of what is really happening.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I've said earlier Phil new stuff is still out there.  What do you base the above on? It isn't experience is it! I agree there is not an abundance of it but what there is and some imaginative DJing from those with knowledge and experience to a fall back on is keeping the scene somewhat fresh.  Many of those I have know since the mid 80's are still about in some way.

there are plenty of clubs trying to do somethg different with healthy numbers through the door.  Yes they are a minority when compared to Kings Hall attendances but they are still alive and kicking.

Again there are too many knocking one particular aspect of the scene with little or no knowledge of what is really happening.

When you find yourself singing along to most of what's being played. :lol: 

Au contraire. I went out for years, and was bored ****less for a lot of that time. But then again, I only went for the music. I've never been interested in all the "other things"  :shhh:  :D

Like I said, respect to all who want to keep it going, I'm probably just bitter that I missed the 80's when it was fresh and cool again.  :P

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Genuine question. I’ve seen the term ‘up front’ in a few threads and presume it’s used like oldies, modern, crossover etc. Are there specific venues and DJ’s? What tunes would be classed as examples of this genre and are any of them considered as ‘classic’ up front sounds or would that be an oxymoron?

Up Front is a description of a venue where most of the people in the place wouldn’t know a noticeable amount of the records - There is of course Good Up Front records, and Bad Up Front records (Individual taste)

My event last Sat night was just this (Most, if not all the people there not knowing half the records) BUT if I was to list them all, Chalky (or whoever) could immediately come on here saying most had been done (I don’t deny that) But it was a cracking fresh night (This isn’t a plug for the venue btw - It’s now finished)

So my understanding of Up Front, is somewhere that plays a large percentage of tunes that you most probably won’t know (or remember) in comparison to an Oldies night.

‘Up Front’ for some can be ‘Old Hat’ to others (but not many others)

I like ‘Up Hat’ - JUST GOOD SOUL MUSIC!

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Up Front is a description of a venue where most of the people in the place wouldn’t know a noticeable amount of the records - There is of course Good Up Front records, and Bad Up Front Records (Individual taste)

My event last Sat night was just this (Most if not all the people there not knowing half the records) BUT if I was to list them all, Chalky (or whoever) could immediately come on here saying most had been done (I don’t deny that) But it was a cracking fresh night (This isn’t a plug for the venue btw - It’s now finished)

So my understanding of Up Front, is somewhere that plays a large percentage of tunes that you most probably won’t know (or remember) in comparison to an Oldies night.

All the best,

Sorry Len..... Good up front, bad up front, i'm in stiches here  :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry Len..... Good up front, bad up front, i'm in stiches here  :D

Don't be sorry mate - The whole thing is now hilarious (I was trying to give a serious answer to a serious question on very serious matter) :D As Phil says above, I think we can all agree it so isn't Cool anymore - Cool is for young people (Maybe The 100 Club has a bit of that 'Cool' still) :wink: 

That said, it shouldn't stop any of us enjoying 'not being cool', and talking utter shite for years to come - It's the way backwards! :excl: 

I still plan on 'doing it' for quite some time, before I become a 'Gin Stroker' at home (I'm looking straight at you Jocko on Arthurs' behalf) :D 

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Up Front is a description of a venue where most of the people in the place wouldn’t know a noticeable amount of the records - There is of course Good Up Front records, and Bad Up Front Records (Individual taste)

My event last Sat night was just this (Most if not all the people there not knowing half the records) BUT if I was to list them all, Chalky (or whoever) could immediately come on here saying most had been done (I don’t deny that) But it was a cracking fresh night (This isn’t a plug for the venue btw - It’s now finished)

All the best,

Isn't the tag "Upfront" another way of saying "taking a risk" with the music policy.? Which when you think back ,as always happened.

On the subject of lack of discoveries,isn't that why funky tunes are being heard more and more.? If they have a certain,dare i say,northern feel to them,all well and good. 

I dont think i go a week without hearing something new.

Viva UP Hat.!! LOL.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Isn't the tag "Upfront" another way of saying "taking a risk" with the music policy.? Which when you think back ,as always happened.

On the subject of lack of discoveries,isn't that why funky tunes are being heard more and more.? If they have a certain,dare i say,northern feel to them,all well and good. 

I dont think i go a week without hearing something new.

Viva UP Hat.!! LOL.

Yeh that's what I meant :D A place that tries to be creative......"taking a risk"........'Risk' is the word - But please think (listen properly) before taking that 'risk', because sometimes a damn good Oldie is um.........'Damn Good'!!! :wink:

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Exactly the point I made earlier - upfront was taking a risk playing new discoveries ala Cats, Wheel, Wigan, Stafford, 100 club etc etc. That kind of stopped a few years ago as a mass wanted to hear circa 100 records.

Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

Played at a northern soul night by a northern soul Dj must be northern soul :)

Just like that Bob Sinclar - Tribute bollocks?  :thumbup:

Social source share

If I walked in a venue and they were playing Rudy Love - Suffering Wrath I would think I was in an upfront ( at least to me ) venue . If they were playing the champion I would,nt   its that simple to me if its rare or underplayed and just that bit different then its good .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

offtopic posts removed

nothing wrong with the odd one liner or ''joke' now and again

but when get 4 or 5 offtopic posts  in a row it drags the topic down

so ask/remind  all to try and keep things both enjoyable and worthwhile

thanks

mike

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Still Grappling with "upfront" try these;  "Underplayed","Overplayed" "Newies" "Oldies", "Soulful House","Soulful Garage","Shufflers", "Strollers", " 1 Steppers", 2 Steppers"," Swayers", "Sister Soul", "Funky Modern","Funky Edge""Phsyc", "Rare Groove", "Boogaloo", "Latinos", "60ts","70ts","Noughties","Gospel Dance", "Rare Soul Dance", "Nu-Soul", "Nu- Skuul","Beach", "Mod","Teeners", "Soul Anthems", "Soul Essence" "Herbal Essence" All genuine adjectives used To clarify Things ,,Gracias .My descriptors are 1 "Slowie" 2 "Uptempo" 3 "Sit Down Before You Fall Down" [eg,Jewels "We Got Togetherness", "DIzzy" Lester Lanin {Both Kev Roberts Faves]!

Social source share

Speak for yourself!

Some places I've djed over the years are undoubtedly cool as f@%k and I'm pretty sure some of the places I'll go to in the future will be too - pretty much any soul club in continental Europe, for example.

may not be the NORTHERN soul scene as you recognise it, but its probably time that some people accepted that that particular angle isnt and never has been where soul music starts and ends.

in fact, I think the worldwide soul scene would be a fair bit better off without people with parameters of taste set 30+ years ago imposing 30+ year old parameters on it.

as for the term 'up front' ; I'd not use it on a flyer or anything but I think it does have meaning. I take it to mean any dj or night that follows the evolution of the vintage music scene - whether thats with new releases, new discoveries, or just currently popular records or styles; and that being opposed to djs or nights where nostalgia is the primary principle.

I think that its a wrong approach if used to force feed unknown after unknown track on people; I dont think people want that and I know I dont as a dancer; its more of an outlook where you take into account trends of the scene and wider culture - an outlook true to the spirit of the original scene imo.

I think you could do an 'upfront' set of 70s oldies, by playing ones that have a currently hip sound or reviving neglected ones for example. That may be a contradiction in terms but I expect that you all know what I mean nevertheless.

its about being part of the evolution of the scene - breaking newies, trying new things, not getting stuck in a musical rut.

There are djs and clubs doing exactly this, I guess that they are 'upfront', relatively at least, and some of them are pretty cool.

lastly, I should point out the paradox that is someone who doesnt appreciate any deviation from a traditional northern sound describing the scene as uncool ; as that attitude is exactly the part of it which IS uncool.

Cool is evolving and keeping a broad mind and open ears.

I am speaking for myself Mik, I'm not qualified to speak for anyone else.  :thumbsup:

I'm pleased to hear that you are having a good time, and good luck to everyone who is. I am obviously a fossil and should be put out of my misery.  :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I am speaking for myself Mik, I'm not qualified to speak for anyone else.  :thumbsup:

I'm pleased to hear that you are having a good time, and good luck to everyone who is. I am obviously a fossil and should be put out of my misery.  :lol:

I just like Northern Soul

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I think there's a lot of fear on here in defending the term upfront. Only Mik so far has made an eloquent defence of it. I'll put my neck on the line and admit I've used the term upfront before now, usually to differentiate from the oldies/nostalgia scene and because there was no other description available. As many have already rightly said, upfront probably doesn't mean playing anything new or even newly discovered, but to me it always meant giving the forgotten, the underplayed and the less appreciated records a chance. We know we aren't playing newly discovered 60s and 70s, but that's not the point.

Many people have a bit of joke and say, 'It's been forgotten/underplayed for a reason...', but there have been many others who might say, 'Not heard this in years,' 'This deserves more recognition,' 'I've got this, never heard it played out.' 'Not heard this version.' 'Imaginative set...' etc... etc...

I don't think upfront means rare either, in fact the opposite is probably true as most underplayed records are often cheapies that big DJs won't entertain in their sets because they think everyone plays them. The irony is, because that's the general opinion, no one ever does play them. So upfront isn't about rare, or newly discovered, it's about imagination and balls to play stuff that's been ignored. I hope.

My twopennuth. :)

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

It sounds like all that 'upfront' people want to do is tear the Northern scene apart for their own means so that they can inflict the music that they want people to hear on everyone instead of playing what the punters want to hear.  If you're into Northern Soul, surely it's not beyond reason to expect to actually hear Northern Soul when you go to a venue which advertises itself as a Northern Soul venue.  Not funk or blues or sweet soul.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It sounds like all that 'upfront' people want to do is tear the Northern scene apart for their own means so that they can inflict the music that they want people to hear on everyone instead of playing what the punters want to hear.  If you're into Northern Soul, surely it's not beyond reason to expect to actually hear Northern Soul when you go to a venue which advertises itself as a Northern Soul venue.  Not funk or blues or sweet soul.

The upfront crowd as you call it are tearing nothing apart, they just get on with it as they always have done.  It is everyone else who isn't involved, some not even involved in any part of the scene who are doing the knocking and critiscing. 

I don't know where you get the impression the so called upfront scene is made up of funk, blues and sweet soul?  Seems to be quite a few ill informed opinions on here. 

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

The upfront crowd as you call it are tearing nothing apart, they just get on with it as they always have done.  It is everyone else who isn't involved, some not even involved in any part of the scene who are doing the knocking and critiscing. 

I don't know where you get the impression the so called upfront scene is made up of funk, blues and sweet soul?  Seems to be quite a few ill informed opinions on here. 

Because thats what people post up Chalky!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well you're really well catered for Pete! Everybody should be happy.

if you're only into one narrow style, and that style's been hammered for 40 years, then yes maybe you have heard the best of it. Strikes me as a strange complaint though, as by this time you've had 40 years of fun out of just that one style, and plenty more if you just want to stay in that groove - in fact, theres a huge scene dedicated to just that!

to those of us who like music generally though, it feels like the opposite situation: I hear new music at a rate that is overwhelming and my main worry is that I'll never get it all, get to dance to it all in a club, or even hear it all in my lifetime.

Not trying to plug my club, but at it we have definite parameters that range from 50s r&b at one end to early 70s soul & funk at the other. The vast majority of soul records wouldnt suit our sound yet still there are 1000s of records we could play there, 1000s that we havent got yet or havent played. if we do run out of new things that fit within those parameters to play in our lifetimes, then good - might then get around to hearing all the soul, ska, reggae, house, hip hop, modern, disco etc that I havent heard yet!

point I'm making is : there's an almost infinite amount of great soulful music out there, enough to keep you busy for years to come - if you've chosen to focus on one particular style only, then thats a limitation of you, not of music and not of the scene.

it seems to be wantonly negative to only focus on what there isnt (great 60s northern newies) instead of on what there is

Aaaah it's making my head explode not being able to explain properly, so I'm going to give up.  Nothing against anyone or anything, I just like what I like and the more you dilute something, the less interesting it gets for me.

Social source share

I posted that 'upfront' venues appear to be ones that play 'funky edged' stuff because that's how it appears to me. Northern / soul venues don't use the term as far as I'm aware? Could be wrong of course
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!