Up Front?

I do get it Pete, the pure northern soul model is a great thing...but things end or change I guess. I was gutted when that whole retro/funk fad ended around 2000, as I was running a big club and loved funk and almost overnight it died a death in the mainstream conciousness and we were uncool.

Good, cos around the same time the r&b was starting to heat up and within 2 years I was playing that at mod dos.

if what I'm doing now ever runs its course, I might do northern more in depth...always fancied being a 70s & modern dj...might start that 90s house revival...or hip hop...keep meaning to get back into graffiti!...come on man, as shit as life is, its full of great stuff

Social source share

So Pete if it was advertised as Northern Soul night you would expect to hear?

NF Porter-Keep on keeping on........funk

Sergio Mendes-Love Music.........Latin

Peggy March-If You Loved Me.....white pop

The Crow-Your Autumn Of Tomorrow.....rock

Ral Donner-Don't Let Him Slip Away.....just shit

The scenes has always played different stuff why should it be different now.

Up Front for me means places/dj's that are trying to play something other then the main tunes that have been hammered over the years.This means the music evolves over the years & has fazes where a certain type of tune will have it's day,at the moment it's the funkier tunes a few years back it had an R n B feel.

I want to hear new stuff & I'll decide if I think it's "Northern" & I don't need anyone to tell me if it is or it isn't?

Cheers

Martyn

Yeah well it's very easy for you to categorise them now Mart 40 years after the event, but the answer to your question is that they are all Northern, first time I ever heard it Nolan Porter was Northern, Sergio Mendes was Northern, all of them...and I bet back in 1976/77 you did exactly the same

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yeah well it's very easy for you to categorise them now Mart 40 years after the event, but the answer to your question is that they are all Northern, first time I ever heard it Nolan Porter was Northern, Sergio Mendes was Northern, all of them...and I bet back in 1976/77 you did exactly the same

Pete

Without a doubt they are all northern tunes to me,even Ral Donner :lol:

The point I was trying to make was all sorts of genres make up "Northern" & it's no different today.

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Upfront was used long before "funky" stuff became more and more accepted.  It was simply a term used by some to describe the more progressive side of the scene who like to listen to music that isn't by and large an established classic/oldie (i.e. top 500).  As said that may be a new release, a new discovery, some Mecca three spin wonder or other venue play that quickly got lost when new discoveries were in an abundance and DJ's could be choosey.  DJ's with an edge and imagination, taking risks as said earlier.

They might not be to everyones taste, when has that ever been the case but those that go to those nights actually CHOOSE to go, no one forces them.  

If you said to me, we're running an upfront soul night, I'd think you were playing new discoveries and top rarities.  Thats what it means isn't it?

Social source share

If you said to me, we're running an upfront soul night, I'd think you were playing new discoveries and top rarities.  Thats what it means isn't it?

Basically at one time yes but rarity and value don't play a part so much today, never has done with some..  You can listen to DJ's digging deep with a seldom heard cheapie (always have done really), many records have risen in value because of so called upfront venues.

We have all these discussions, people practically know what a DJ plays, what a venue's music policy is and yet no one seems to have a clue where they are going or what they are listening to :lol:

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Steve I go to Germany quite a bit and have been to Hamburg etc.They seem to take their influences from the rare soul side of it rather than the northern side.There are a lot of funk and crossover records played along with r&b. If an oldie is played it's usually a rare one.... No Time/Can't Get Over These Memories etc.It is collector driven still over there and bootleg Dave has not got a stranglehold.It is quite refreshing going over there but don't expect northern soul as we know it.The equivalent scene in the uk is the gigs I go to in Dulwich....which beggars the question.Who are the upfront northern soul deejays??

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Steve I go to Germany quite a bit and have been to Hamburg etc.They seem to take their influences from the rare soul side of it rather than the northern side.There are a lot of funk and crossover records played along with r&b. If an oldie is played it's usually a rare one.... No Time/Can't Get Over These Memories etc.It is collector driven still over there and bootleg Dave has not got a stranglehold.It is quite refreshing going over there but don't expect northern soul as we know it.The equivalent scene in the uk is the gigs I go to in Dulwich....which beggars the question.Who are the upfront northern soul deejays??

I don't know anyone who bares the title of "Upfront Dj" There are plenty of "Alternative" Dj's. Not sure if you have ventured to Lifeline Wiggy but you will hear a good cross section of Soul played by familiar names.

Social source share

I have listened to the podcasts that were up and representative of Lifeline a year ago and especially listened to a Karl Heard one but I'm sorry to say I didn't like the music.

Havn't been to Germany myself yet but what you described this morning about going there often, Hamburg, thats a bit on the lines of Lifeline. The Germans regularly invite the likes of Mick H, Dave Thorley, Butch etc

Social source share

Apologies.I think the thread went back to 2010 or 2011.There were a lot of podcasts and I'm guessing it was Karl Heards.

Sorry but there is no Lifeline podcast for Karl Heard. The only Lifeline Dj's I've put a podcast up for is Andy Dyson, Cliff Steele and myself plus a rare 70's one.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry I must be getting confused with Andy Dyson.Hamburg is a great weekend but it is not a northern soul weekend.There seems to be a big divide with that scene on one side and the northern soul oldies scene which gives no time for the hundreds of old style underplayed oldies.What sort of stuff gets played at Longton?

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Sorry I must be getting confused with Andy Dyson.Hamburg is a great weekend but it is not a northern soul weekend.There seems to be a big divide with that scene on one side and the northern soul oldies scene which gives no time for the hundreds of old style underplayed oldies.What sort of stuff gets played at Longton?

The Lifeline room the Dj's play what they want.  We try and avoid records heard on tje mainstream side of the s ene, rare, underplayed, one offs, acetates, 60's, some 70's bit of funky edged stuff.  The venue is probably as good as it has been at any venue Lifeline has used with a great atmosphere and a full floor all night.  Pow Wow, bouncing with the best in R&B, mod, latin, boogaloo and more.  I din't like to blow our own trumpet so hopefully someone who just goes for the music can add something.  Come along, I'm sure you would enjoy it.

Social source share

Lifeline The best nighter in the country by a mile, as I say on many occasions there are all-nighters and then there are oldies nights that run allnight.

That’s a very bold statement.

I understand that is your opinion - I like Life-line, and support what they do there, but saying things like they are better than the others by a mile can come across as a tad disrespectful to all the other All-nighters (I don’t think that was your intension though)

Maybe to rephrase it - “The Life-line All-nighter is my favourite All-nighter in the country by a mile” :wink:

We all know Terry ‘shouts from the roof tops’ with ref The Burnley All-nighter (getting behind an event that he strongly believes in) Great, but I’ve never once heard him say it is the best - The last thing I read of his on the subject was…..”My favourite Nighter”

Most events have good and bad points differentiating between people; this is me (on just a handful I have been to)

Life-line - I like their music policy, but I like second rooms to be Modern Rooms.

Burnley - I enjoyed my trips there for the atmosphere / before you know it, the end of the night arrives - BANG! But I do prefer my lullaby’s to be in there somewhere (It saves me coming out the other end like a ‘Husk’) :huh:

Rugby - A great venue, and nice people behind it (Too friendly if anything) :D Again I like second rooms to be a Modern Room.

If we were to use the wording ‘by a mile’, I think most would agree that The 100 Club is the most respected All-nighter in the country 'by a mile’ :wink:

Ref the thread subject - When I was out this weekend, I picked up a leaflet for The Stateside Soul Club All-nighter (24th May), and do you know what struck me? It was the simple title ‘100% Soul All-nighter’ (Back to basics) I like that.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

P.s - My take on Second rooms being modern rooms comes from my times in the 90’s - I like all the tunes to be in the main room, and I don’t see why some should only have an airing tucked away to the side (Whatever style) :wink: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I take your point Len, but Lifeline has everything that you could want in an All-nighter and all in the one room as you like, I know what you're thinking " lifeline has 2 rooms but it doesn't Pow Wow is a different club run by a different promoter and having the 2 clubs running side by side gives you everything you could want.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I see, and has that advantage of separate promoting of course - I'm not for one moment putting Pow Wow (Or any other second room) down, I know it is very popular :wink: 

All the best,

P.s - It took me a while to reply, I've just been thinking about it that's all, and of I course wouldn't want to offend promoters that work really hard - All good promoters are open to constructive criticism, and don't take it personally (even if they disagree with someone)

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Len, let's not have second rooms as "modern", more "freestyle" for different genre's :thumbsup:

No - The main rooms to be SOUL music, and the Modern Rooms to be run by Gavin Page, supported by Steve G ('cause I think he knows about that 'stuff'), Adam, Brian Goucher, and Cliff Steele.

Ok :D 

P.s - and guests :hatsoff2: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

No - The main rooms to be SOUL music, and the Modern Rooms to be run by Gavin Page, supported by Steve G ('cause I think he knows about that 'stuff'), Adam, Brian Goucher, and Cliff Steele.

Ok :D 

P.s - and guests :hatsoff2: 

No- Modernsoulsucks.... or so i'm lead to believe :yes: I'm talking about different venues cos i thought thats what you've

quoted in your last few posts, unless you mean particular places :)

Social source share

Yeh a lot of it does suck - You wanna hear some of the stuff Brian Goucher forces me to listen to! :rofl: 

It's just the way I remember All-nighters at a great time for the Scene. At Winsford for instance, I always enjoyed popping into the Modern room (ran by Gavin Page) staying a while, thinking....."Mmmmm, not really for me"......then wandering back to the main room - It broke the night up :D 

But these Modern Rooms were 'kicking', and seemed to bring a different crowd to the event (some cool people) :elvis: ..........Not sure if there's a call for these rooms now though - The 'Modern People' will know.

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Yeh a lot of it does suck - You wanna hear some of the stuff Brian Goucher forces me to listen to! :rofl:

Hang on Len, this thread is titled "Up Front?" Brian was the only Up Front DJ at Lenny's.

Apart from a few, the tunes were oldies, good ole midtempo oldies.

Edited by johnmcc
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Hang on Len, this thread is titled "Up Front?" Brian was the only Up Front DJ at Lenny's.

Apart from a few, the tunes were oldies, good ole midtempo oldies.

Was he now John? Below is Brian’s play list from ‘Lennys’ - I’m sure Brian would absolutely agree that there is nothing on there that is ‘Up Front’, they are all pretty well known, well excepted, good tracks (‘good ole oldies’) :wink: 

He didn’t play anything that is ‘Up Front’. You may have not known some, so that would make them ‘Up Front’ to you (as has been discussed), and this is the point I've been trying to make.

This is ‘Up Front’ John - Something Brian has been championing for a while (including reviewing it)

St. Paul & The Broken Bones - Half the City Album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5LQat9_f5U

Brian Goucher’s set from ‘Lennys’ (31st Jan 2015) A great set of records - It would be interesting to know how many of you know most of the tracks.

Will Hatcher “You haven’t seen nothing yet”

Checkmates Ltd “All alone by the telephone”

Ballads “Butterfli” (Balja)

Masters of Soul “Do you really love me”

Clay Brown “Why you want to change”

Walter Jackson “It will be the last time”

James Wayne & The Soul Soothers “I found someone”

Soul Serenaders “Gotta hold onto my baby”

Freddie South “Set me free (to love my woman)

Fabulous Playmates “Don’t turn your back on me”

LIoyd Williams “In love with you”

Kelly & the Soul Explosions “Talking about my baby’s love”

Essex IV “My heart just can’t take it”

Rance Allen Group “I know a man who”

Johnny Cole & The Mondells “No Love”

James Brown “People wake up and live”

Maybe we should all stop complicating things - and just play some Northern Soul! :wink:

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Pardon my ignorance Len, but "Lenny's".... is that your club?

Also, the thread starter asked "are any considered classic up-fronts"?

The list you made above, are they classics because i don't hear any of them on my travels! :)

Hi mate,

Yes the ‘ostentatiously’ named ‘Lennys’ was my club (Named ‘tongue in cheek’ as people that know me are well aware of) It’s now finished due to other commitments (The last night being a great success btw)

The rest of your post clarifies my point again. To answer the thread starter - No, there are no classic Up-front tunes (In my opinion), because as soon as they become ‘classic’, they cease to be ‘Up-front’…….You said you don’t hear many from that list on your travels, so presuming you don’t know them all, this makes them Up-front to you.

John insinuated that the Mid-tempo tunes I champion are ‘good ole oldies’, which (to be fair to John) to some people they are. But a lot of people I have D.Jed to don’t know all the tunes I play (so are Up-front to them)

I think I prefer the word ‘New’ - It’s so much simpler!

If interested, this the link to the last ‘Lennys’ event

To me, the comments about the music say ‘Up-front’ (in comparison to a Classic Oldies night) SKEGSOUL last post states that they played two ‘first plays’.

I hope that helps! :wink:

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Pardon my ignorance Len, but "Lenny's".... is that your club?

Also, the thread starter asked "are any considered classic up-fronts"?

The list you made above, are they classics because i don't hear any of them on my travels! :)

Hello,

I have been a staunch supporter of Lennies as they always try to play alternative music at a well attended venue, these are becoming a harder to find as you are aware. At the opening event I was in the record bar selling, to my surprise even Mr Manship asked what a couple of the records were that were being played.

At the event on January 31st I was asked to spin a few records, but never got around to putting up a play list, just to give you some idea here are a few that I played, not new but different.

Willie Batchelor I know she loves me.

Charles Simmons. You got it all

Talmadge Armstrong. Gigi

Ascots. A few feet from the gutter

Donnel Brown. its not too late

Felony Theft

Tim Jacob. Mercy Baby

Tory Winter. Real True voices

Willie Jay

Richard Caiton. I see love girl

Idris Muhammed. Im a believer

Tiny Watkins. Run run

Just to give an idea of what the room is about, always supported by the right people and well attended, another reason why we don't mind putting the miles in.

Thanks for all you have done Len and Nina.

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi mate,

Yes the ‘ostentatiously’ named ‘Lennys’ was my club (Named ‘tongue in cheek’ as people that know me are well aware of) It’s now finished due to other commitments (The last night being a great success btw)

The rest of your post clarifies my point again. To answer the thread starter - No, there are no classic Up-front tunes (In my opinion), because as soon as they become ‘classic’, they cease to be ‘Up-front’…….You said you don’t hear many from that list on your travels, so presuming you don’t know them all, this makes them Up-front to you.

John insinuated that the Mid-tempo tunes I champion are ‘good ole oldies’, which (to be fair to John) to some people they are. But a lot of people I have D.Jed to don’t know all the tunes I play (so are Up-front to them)

I think I prefer the word ‘New’ - It’s so much simpler!

If interested, this the link to the last ‘Lennys’ event

To me, the comments about the music say ‘Up-front’ (in comparison to a Classic Oldies night) SKEGSOUL last post states that they played two ‘first plays’.

I hope that helps! :wink:

Thanks Len. You are right, i don't know most of them..... but i can only decide if they are "up-front" after hearing em' :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hello,

I have been a staunch supporter of Lennies as they always try to play alternative music at a well attended venue, these are becoming a harder to find as you are aware. At the opening event I was in the record bar selling, to my surprise even Mr Manship asked what a couple of the records were that were being played.

At the event on January 31st I was asked to spin a few records, but never got around to putting up a play list, just to give you some idea here are a few that I played, not new but different.

Willie Batchelor I know she loves me.

Charles Simmons. You got it all

Talmadge Armstrong. Gigi

Ascots. A few feet from the gutter

Donnel Brown. its not too late

Felony Theft

Tim Jacob. Mercy Baby

Tory Winter. Real True voices

Willie Jay

Richard Caiton. I see love girl

Idris Muhammed. Im a believer

Tiny Watkins. Run run

Just to give an idea of what the room is about, always supported by the right people and well attended, another reason why we don't mind putting the miles in.

Thanks for all you have done Len and Nina.

Dave

Thanks. I confess to only knowing the Ascots track and Richard Caiton..... I must do my homework!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks. I confess to only knowing the Ascots track and Richard Caiton..... I must do my homework!

You don't need to use the word 'confess' - Or do any homework! :D 

The whole point is that there are so many tunes out there that are new to so many people - 'Up-front' meaning 'New'

It's all healthy :wink: ..........Oh, and should be fun (If any of you 'out there' need reminding) :excl: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

The whole point is that there are so many tunes out there that are new to so many people - 'Up-front' meaning 'New'

It's all healthy :wink: ..........Oh, and should be fun (If any of you 'out there' need reminding) :excl: 

There you go again Len.Making out its fun. :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

And heres me thinking all Mick H's "up-fronts" were "oldish". I would'nt know if they were 70's 80's or 90's really

Social source share

I trawled through the whole topic and by the time I got to the end, after reading all the comments, I got that confused as to what the original question was, I had to go back to the beginning to refresh my memory lol

I took it or take it as just venues that are trying to keep it fresh and not play the same old same old, week in week out.

I've heard loads of great records that I've not heard out before, at smaller venues and clubs,too many to keep up with to be honest.

They sound great in the right place and that's all that matters to me and thone who also enjoy them.

So banging on about this is dirge, that's crap, it's too funky or even that the examples given were played 20-30 yrs back... They are not big room or dare I say it " Northern soul " floorfillers, but imho, the people playing them don't care what you think.

They are not seeking your approval, don't care if you hate them or that they'll never be big in the main room.

I first heard Wayne Carter played by Karl Rhodes at. D.D.A and love it, Joseph Webster is superb to my ears, just as Foreign blue renaisance is, which is more funk than J.W or northern soul, some hathe it,but it's in the hands of Mick H and Ted Massey amongst other top indemand dj's and being played to the masses too.

They aren't new but are greatly appreciated in those little clubs too, played amongst lesser known but good uptempo dancers.

The scene has changed so much in the last 5yr, let alone 40 yr, but we are still at the same place, discussing the merits of genres, styles,tempo's,quality of records, but in truth wasting a lot of time because as I said, the people who are going to different venues to the ones you prefer, don't care, nor ever want to be in your venue and ironically, probably think your music is old and dated!

Upfront, at the back, in the middle... Its all out there to be sampled, so enjoy where you go and try not to worry about the things that don't float your boat :)

What he said........... :thumbsup:

Edited by markw
Social source share

The new release forum on the Essential Modern Soul site is called 'UPFRONT'.

Think that about covers it for me.

It should do, but to most Upfront means, non northen (mod, latin, R and b, ect) 60's Dancers, Ok you get the odd earlly 7ts funk thing thrown in, but lets be honest here, the upfront and apparantly open minded crowd, dont want to hear anything that sounds like modern soul. When you going to hear a Boggie record at one of these events? or even a 9ts garage record?. honest answers please.    

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!