Aston Clinton Pressing Plant

Guest 50box

Just been through hundreds of records from an old biddies loft all unplayed. She used to work at the Aston Clinton press & sez no-ones touched them for 40 years. Loads of Embassy rubbish but about half were Oriole & I didn`t find a sausage.

What I want to know is, was the Motown stuff pressed there or somewhere else?

Would they have pressed anything at all worth looking for?

Wondering if it`s worth asking if any of her old workmates were also thieves.

Tom.

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest martinsbox

Just been through hundreds of records from an old biddies loft all unplayed. She used to work at the Aston Clinton press & sez no-ones touched them for 40 years. Loads of Embassy rubbish but about half were Oriole & I didn`t find a sausage.

Tom.

That's not the same Aston Clinton as in near Dunstable??

Martin

Social source share

Tom.

I thought this was later owned by CBS, if so then yes

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tom.

...Lots of that Embassy stuff is pretty collectable now on non-soul circles. Instrumental fans go for Bud Ashton in quite a big way, and there are interesting records on there by girl singers like Maureen Evans.

One Embassy 45 I've always wanted to hear is "What Do You Want" - the big Adam Faith hit, sung on Embassy by its composer Johnny Worth. Don't suppose you found that up there, did you?

I hope, too that you didn't pass over too many copies of things like the Flairs, Bertha Tillman, Rusty & Doug and other rare US releases on the regular Oriole label in your quest to find a Mike and the Modifiers :D

BTW Mr. Thorley's right, CBS did buy Oriole in 1964, specifically for that very same pressing plant and also for the old Oriole Studios in London's New Bond Street. They kept virtually none of the Oriole artists, just the aforementioned Maureen Evans and the instrumental group the Ted Taylor Four (nothing to do with theOkeh/Ronn etc artist...)

TONE :lol:

Social source share

...Lots of that Embassy stuff is pretty collectable now on non-soul circles. Instrumental fans go for Bud Ashton in quite a big way, and there are interesting records on there by girl singers like Maureen Evans.

One Embassy 45 I've always wanted to hear is "What Do You Want" - the big Adam Faith hit, sung on Embassy by its composer Johnny Worth. Don't suppose you found that up there, did you?

I hope, too that you didn't pass over too many copies of things like the Flairs, Bertha Tillman, Rusty & Doug and other rare US releases on the regular Oriole label in your quest to find a Mike and the Modifiers :lol:

BTW Mr. Thorley's right, CBS did buy Oriole in 1964, specifically for that very same pressing plant and also for the old Oriole Studios in London's New Bond Street. They kept virtually none of the Oriole artists, just the aforementioned Maureen Evans and the instrumental group the Ted Taylor Four (nothing to do with theOkeh/Ronn etc artist...)

TONE :unsure:

:thumbsup: Fraid I may well have passed on those titles Tone as I`ve never heard of any of them.

What sort of music are the Oriole ones you mention?

I`ve printed them out for another look, any more you can think of?

Cheers, Tom.

Edited by 50box
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!