News: Percy Sledge Rip

Guest GeoffB

My heart sank a little when I saw this.

One of my first introductions to soul music was the atlantic "this is soul" compilation.

Listen to a song like "when a man loves a woman" and you can hear the hurt, feel every word. That is true soul.

You will always live on in music. RIP.

Social source share

Damn!!

Was there ever a man who could turn your knees to water like that.
Was there ever a bigger smile with a mile wide gap in the teeth that made a better sound.
Is there anyone on here who can't remember where they were when they heard When a man .....

There are a few people out there that made several records, most of them good and well worth a play, but if he stopped making anything after WAMLAW, we'd all still remember him and a big stupid grin would come on our faces when we heard it.
Not many you can say that about.

RIP

• Helpful 2
Social source share

another Atlantic great gone,,,,,

he recorded many great tunes on this brilliant label

it tears me up , when a man loves a woman ,,,cover me,,, true love travels on a gravel road amongst many others

RIP Percy - your musical legacy lives on on the records youve left us

Social source share

actually played baby help me as my last record on Saturday at the Montgomery hall soul night must be 15 years since I last gave it a spin out r.i.p percy

Quality track Joe...........also loved his version of "oh how happy" since I woz a kid

brilliant voice.......gone but never will be forgotten

• Helpful 1
Social source share

So so many ignored / forgotten / not on trend sides this southern soul giant cut. One of the southern soul greats who crossed over and gave the wider world a taste of southern/deep and soul ballads. R.I.P Percy and a heartfelt thank you from this soul fan for providing such a fantastic catalogue and moments in soul.  :(

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!