Discogs Fees

Kjw

got one too.

luckily the prices you can achieve on discogs are much higher than most places, ive found, especially on the under 250 quid tunes, so for me anyway its not going to matter much. suck it up. 

Kev - getting your own website is not really an answer ive been down the route myself. you simply dont get anywhere near the same amount of coverage. good to have as an additional tool but not a replacement for discogs.  people use discogs as a library/reference book as well as to buy so the coverage is major. 

you can get off the shelf sales sites for a monthly fee - you may already know that. 

https://www.bigcartel.com/ i used these guys but this was 4 or so years back. there are uk based people now im sure.

Edited by JNixon
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I got one too.

Its not charged on the actual sale price is it ?.

I read it as only being charged on their fees so its 20% on the 8% fee,

as opposed to 20% of an item's value.

Is this how others see it ?.

its a 20 pc addition to your fees bill. if you sell lots its a major thing i guess. just minor aggravation for your average joe seller.

and of course, this may well increase again after the election - discogs fees to be a major issue at the polling booth.

no wait. the Tories wont ever put up vat when they get back in as they've no history of that kind of behaviour. can all sleep well tonight. 

Edited by JNixon
Social source share

Sleep well? Isn't this part of the clamp down on "corporate tax evasion" nice Mr Millionaireband keeps telling us is a good thing?  :lol:

Was thinking of opening a discogs account, as have a load of 12s but the problem for me is a lot of them aren't in their database and I think they have to be in a format before you can post them.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Record shops who are VAT registered will avoid the discog fee increase but simple souls selling a few bits will have to take what is in reality a fee increase by stealth.

PS. as a person whos put on many 'not known to the data base' and incurred the wrath of the Discog Nazi Librarians [Contributor Improvement Program ban three times but I'm out now] it can be tricky.My advice is to keep it simple so they can't find fault.

dean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sleep well? Isn't this part of the clamp down on "corporate tax evasion" nice Mr Millionaireband keeps telling us is a good thing?  :lol:

Was thinking of opening a discogs account, as have a load of 12s but the problem for me is a lot of them aren't in their database and I think they have to be in a format before you can post them.

Steve - if not in their format you have to submit the release with loads of information duration , title , composer , label , ident number blah blah  and await acceptance - This normally happens quickly but only worthwhile exercise if you have the time and the sale value of the record makes the time worthwhile .....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Its a shame right enough but its a pretty good well organized site .

I've picked up some great tunes there for next to nothing when dealers were looking considerably more .

Anything less than £100 is worth searching out on Discogs  

Social source share

You don't have to put in all the info such as producer, songwriter, matrix numbers etc - just the basics to get it on the site and allow you to list the item for sale.

Some sad person will come along afterwards and edit the listing with all the bits missing

I was selling a few bits and bobs a while back and it kept kicking it back to me telling me to add producers etc , year issued etc .

Its handy enough if someone has already posted the same record as the info is there already to copy but if its something new then it can be complicated in the end I just gave up , I didn't have the time or energy any more .

• Helpful 2
Social source share

its a pain if they are not on the database. but you do get the kudos of being the first. I kid you not ive seen many people bragg about it

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!