Beatin Rhythm Issues

• 3 weeks later...

During the late 80's well respected and knowledgeable soul man Pete Smith produced a fanzine documenting British releases of Northern soul records. 

The fanzines proved to be a very interesting read (imo) and with kind permission Pete has agreed that they be uploaded for your pleasure.

I realise that not everyone is into English releases of American records, however, I'm sure that you will find them an interesting read.

I have uploaded issue 1 and hope to upload further issues in the near future.

Regards Bob

Looks great Bob - thanks for this! I had collected Blackbeat and Shades of Soul and moved onto Voices from the Shadows, and hadn't really explored all of the others. Look forward to reading this.

Sean

Social source share

I can use a CD and DVD player, a computer, operate a centre lathe, etc

Can I use a scanner correctly, can I !!!!

or another spin could be:-

Another IT lesson - Simply open the PDF, Right Click on PDF when open and select Rotate Clockwise.

Beatin Rhythm #3

Hope you enjoy reading this one, I think it is especially good.

ATB Bob

Beatin Rhythm #3.pdf

Social source share

Looks great Bob - thanks for this! I had collected Blackbeat and Shades of Soul and moved onto Voices from the Shadows, and hadn't really explored all of the others. Look forward to reading this.

Sean

I'd like to see Blackbeat PDF'ed as I never had that mag either  :thumbsup:  Once you've done with SOS that is  :rofl:

Social source share

Thanks for posting. Really enjoyed this, these are a proper snapshot of a moment in time for the NS scene. Pete's pre-internet era knowledge of the details of label releases was brilliant!

The knowledge back then, Pete's mag, Shades of Soul, Blackbeat and others was pretty fantastic considering everything was learnt the hard way, no clicking a mouse and getting the info the easy way.  Much of the label articles were complete or pretty complete.

It is good to see these magazines preserved as you say they really were a snap shot in time.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

What I love about these is that you see statements like "I Feel So Bad" has always been rare, on some occasions it's sold for over £20!

Many today just don't realise what was around for sale back then and have no real idea of rarity.  Great reading these and SOS again.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

THANKS guys for these.Fantastic reading the work and passion that went into the production of these must have been immense.I remember reading a couple at the time and getting frustrated at not being able to hear the many tracks i didnt know.So different now when its al just a you tube click away.

Social source share

how many of these did you do pete? i seem to think it was around 20. i think i have them all tucked away. remember buying them of you when you where based in the south of england in the early nineties

Social source share

how many of these did you do pete? i seem to think it was around 20. i think i have them all tucked away. remember buying them of you when you where based in the south of england in the early nineties

I think there's 16 - maybe 15 - I know the last one is super rare as I only did them for subscribers and didn't sell any elsewhere.  I'll send Bob all of them to post up, but I need to change the editorial in one of them 

Social source share

I just read issue 3 again for the first time in many years and I can't believe my enthusiasm and all that stuff I knew - before we had the internet - makes me a bit sad really that I know much less than I knew then because I've forgotten it all, and I don't get enthusiastic about anything much nowadays.  Also had to smile at the review of Patron Of The Arts some 20 years before it went big LOL

Bob can I just ask you not to post any more up until I have read them again, I'd be very grateful.

Social source share

Ive still got them all they ran from july 89 until autumn 97 the last issue was No 16 . All were A4 size apart from Nos 12 and 16 which were A5. To me a british collector it was the best magazine of its type by a mile. I also purchased a number of rare british singles from Pete who was always a pleasure to deal with(though i could never get him to part with his Chubby Checker You Just Dont Know Cameo Parkway)

Edited by tobytyke
Social source share

I just read issue 3 again for the first time in many years and I can't believe my enthusiasm and all that stuff I knew - before we had the internet - makes me a bit sad really that I know much less than I knew then because I've forgotten it all, and I don't get enthusiastic about anything much nowadays.  Also had to smile at the review of Patron Of The Arts some 20 years before it went big LOL

Bob can I just ask you not to post any more up until I have read them again, I'd be very grateful.

Pete I think you should be incredibly proud, as with all of the others who took the initiative to produce these magazines.

I never knew much in the first place, and despite the many years and magazines, books and records I've bought in the time, can't say I'm any the wiser now. You may think you've forgotten a lot, but I'll bet that you still remember/konw way more than most of us could ever hope to!

Hope you give Bob permission to publish more once you've checked them over.....

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Been a while, but boy is this worth the wait. I defy anyone who says that the UK record companies did not cater for Soul music in the UK, as they would source American soul records for release in the UK (remember back in the 60's imports were illegal and only gained access into the UK via ports, most notably in the North West and South East and also the USA based soldiers who bought their own way of life here, as they did wherever they were based, hence the finds to be made in Germany). This also lead to independents such as Deep Soul and Soul City releasing tracks that were sought after by the now emerging NS movement.

That's my soap box moment, take it as you like, but more importantly enjoy the read.

NB - As per usual all credit goes to Pete Smith for contributing/compiling/producing and also all contributors to the mag

R E Gards Bob 

Beatin Rhythm Issue Number 4.pdf

Beatin Rhythm Issue Number 5.pdf

Edited by theothertosspot
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

That issue 4 is brilliant. Even if I do say so myself. Look at those prices, especially liked the Jimmy James - I Feel Alright demo at £5.

Absolutely SPOT ON. and them Demo's where are they now? (please don't reply "in collections" thanks)

Social source share

"Ah" issue 5 that discussed Polydor releases that included a wide range of records from the US of A, and also cover versions mostly played at the Torch in SoT."

Polydor was also responsible for other labels including Track, that as well as releasing stuff by Jimi Hendricks also released "If this is the Love" by the Precisions on Drew.

Info for new to the scene, apologies to them that know already.

ATB Bob

Social source share

Just to top off "this beautiful day" (no pun intended), here's issue six of Beatin Rhythm.

Another excellent issue (IMO) including excellent pics of discs being reviewed and also the Stateside listings (inc American label source)

Enjoy the read.

R E Gards Bob

Beatin Rhythm Issue Number 6.pdf

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!