New Or Recent Soul Releases And Cool Official Vids

Funnily enough Steve, I'd been ruminating on doing a post around this for a fair while.   I've been in the soul dance scene for 33 years (how time flies!) and as I get older I find I'm increasingly interested in contemporary music being made in the style.   As much as I enjoy Northern Soul and Modern Soul (and R&B, mod jazz, funk, soulful disco etc), it's great to hear new music.   The issue for the northern soul-originated scene is as you say, the lack of rarity.   The Prestatyn/Ralph Tee/Togetherness type events don't really seem to worry about that as it's the finding of the uptempo dance soul gems is where the reward comes in.   It's obviously something different to Northern Soul (or is it) but doesn't really have (or perhaps need) a name.   It was always true - an album or compilation with a load of average tracks then one or two wonderful anthems waiting for plays.   I'm just glad to be enjoying new music and to have the odd track that my kids enjoy.   

Great couple of posts thanks and yes we're not alone but just case of trying to find a good night where we can hear and dance to a bit if everything. I'm more than lucky to have a choice of most things locally, including a night or two where brand new releases get played alongside the classics here and there. Or just go to and out and out Northern night if we fancy it.

So yes as well as new vinyl releases on the other running thread, I'm looking forward to seeing what gets posted on this thread for new cd and MP3 only things...and I'm a sucker for great music videos too but generally bored with what I see on TV or when I see what my own kids have stumbled across on various devices around the house :facepalm:  :D

Social source share

Another current monster..........and coming on a 45 too!

Cheers,

Mark R

Another monster from the same camp & due on vinyl soon, not that that really matters.

Here's the link to the vinyl release with the mix for the flip that is a nice alternative mix.

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/samuel-d-sanders-make-you-mine/570526-01/?ref=mukat&hc_location=ufi

Edited by Cunnie
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Excellent.  I didn't know this is coming.  They balance classic and new soul production sympathetically.

Giles Peterson played a track off the new album by The Monophonics that was fantastic the other day, think 1970s Buddah such as The Modulations.   Possibly it was 'Too Late' but I can't be sure.

I forgot to mention Soul Talk earlier, very good indeed and I look forward to when  Ralph  gets the Diplomats of Soul debut album done.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Getting hammered on Solar Radio at the moment.

Yes that can be a problem with new releases when a track gets popular, but great for the artists I guess. So long as they then make some decent obscure recordings for us to dig deeper into, off air so to speak.

Social source share

Talented guy Anthony Hamilton. This is a lovely track.

I'd highly recommend two outstanding female singers, Lizz Wright and Ruthie Foster. They dont do dance tracks but they can sing and I'd say are very soulful ladies.

Good call and that whole Booker T album from last year or two is superb. Hopefully another project like that soon blending legendary artists with new talent.

Social source share

Not wanting to cram this thread with you tube clips and such, one recent album I keep playing over and over since Christmas is Shirma Rouse "Shout it out loud" and the brilliant L-O-V-E track amongst others. Not on vinyl yet as far as I know but then so what :)

Edited by 71 Steve
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

A few more recent great contemporary dance soul selections:

Myles Sanko - Forever Dreaming     

(one of the best albums of recent years, every song is wonderful and seems to have been recorded live in the studio)

Robin McKelle & The Flytones - Baby You're The Best    

Leon Bridges - Better Man    

The Revelations - Why When The Love Is Gone (yes the old soul hit)   

Jo Stance - Hey Girl  

(in case anyone missed it a couple of years ago)

All of these carry the original Northern Soul soul sound naturally into this time.

cheers

Mark

Edited by ThinkSmart
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Not wanting to cram this thread with you tube clips and such, one recent album I keep playing over and over since Christmas is Shirma Rouse "Shout it out loud" and the brilliant L-O-V-E track amongst others. Not on vinyl yet as far as I know but then so what :)

Shirma Rouse 'L-O-V-E' is wonderful.  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ola Anabule (out of Bedford !!) has been making great music for at least 20 years.

Lots of his older stuff goes down great on the dance floor (at MS events at least).

Can't recall the title of my fave dance cut by him at the moment (from 10 years or so back) but Rugged Ram put out a limited edition white label remix 12" of it that I gave to our kid (who was a Prestatyn W/Ender Modern Room DJ at the time). This used to go down really well whenever he played it.

Maybe he'll post up what the track title was as my memory is totally shot these days.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Another Ola Anabule fave of mine is one of his early cuts. His cover of "Every Kind of People" which he cut for Warners (before he went out on his own label).

I believe this only escaped on vinyl in France (on a 12" single with mixes that excluded the rap which is on the above version). Think it was put out on vinyl in France after his tune was used on a TV ad there. 

Social source share

Ola Anabule (out of Bedford !!) has been making great music for at least 20 years.

Lots of his older stuff goes down great on the dance floor (at MS events at least).

Can't recall the title of my fave dance cut by him at the moment (from 10 years or so back) but Rugged Ram put out a limited edition white label remix 12" of it that I gave to our kid (who was a Prestatyn W/Ender Modern Room DJ at the time). This used to go down really well whenever he played it.

Maybe he'll post up what the track title was as my memory is totally shot these days.

Was it "You'd better believe"? Great albums, superb voice and pretty sure I have this somewhere from new back in 1994/5...so a proper "oldie" now :D and looks quite rare when I have a quick search on the web for any.

Edited by 71 Steve
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

I appreciate I go on about my stuff, but in case you missed it, it is retro. New melodies/productions in an old style.  Here are a few things I am doing/have done which, in some cases, have been played on Beach stations in the US, the odd internet radio/FM station in the US and UK;

'There I go falling in love again' by Chiquita Green. Philly. Available digitally only. Written in Philly by myself, Bobby Eli and Chiquita Green. Recorded at Bobby's studio, featuring Earl Young on drums, Bobby Eli/Dennis Harris on guitars, Rikki Hicks (congas - he played on The O Jays 'I Love music'), Jimmie Williams on bass (Ain't no stopin us now), T G Conway on keyboards (Ten percent/Double Exposure):

'Soul Recession' by Double Exposure. Philly. As above, the original mixes digital only, but the Philly Re grooved 3 version available digital/CD/AND vinyl!

'Good Lovin' Man' by Diane Shaw. I am the co writer. Available digitally, CD and 7" Vinyl/LP I beleive:-

'Loving you always came easy' by The Delgonives - Vibe teaser. Blue eyed. Written and produced by myself due for release soon:

'Loving you always came easy' by The Delgonives - Organ teaser. Blue eyed. As above:

'Loving you always came easy' by The Delgonives - Hand clap vocal version. Blue eyed. As above:

'Festival of Love' by Bandtraxs. Written and produced by myself and available for sale digitally only. This is 'a la Philly/Salsoul/MFSB' in style:

'Caesars Reply'/Bandtraxs. Written and produced myself a la Philly again. The drums are actually Philly. Not released yet but will be.

'Latte Straight' by Bandtraxs. Written and produced myself a la Philly again. The drums are actually Philly. Not released yet but will be.

'Make Five' by Bandtraxs. Written and produced myself a la Philly again. Available digitally:

'Never should have kissed you' by The Delgonives. Written and produced by myself. Blue eyed. Digital only.

'Libby, let's leave it at that' by The Delgonives. As above, but more 'Beach Boys':

There are loads of other demos on soundcloud and youtube as 55motown. Things that will never be released (as of yet), like 'Trouble O soul' I wrote for Edwin Star's new album that never happened of course!

Please forward the links to anybody you feel they may enjoy, especially on air talent etc. It would be nice to get some airplay of 'Festival of Love' in the UK, and indeed 'Libby, let's leave it at that'. And yes, I guess this is a massive advert for me...and also the musicians, co writers, musicians, labels, producers, singers etc...

And I forgot about this!!

'No one else will do' by Spyder Turner. Lyric co writer with Hitsville Chalky and Spyder:

https://www.mixcloud.com/mayfairmenthol/spyder-turner-no-one-else-will-do-clip

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!