New Or Recent Soul Releases And Cool Official Vids

Scotters

this may or May not qualify here, but it was new to me until I visited Soul Brother records yesterday... and a big topic of discussion at a soul do in Birmingham last night with a mate Jason Starr...

If anybody reading this likes Jazz fusion, just buy this... absolutely brilliant....

Carlos Garnett - Anthology / Soul Brother Records

Blurb from the label...

Saxophonist Carlos Garnett was born in Panama in 1938 and moved to Brooklyn NY USA in 1962. He recorded with Freddie Hubbard, Andrew Hill and on Miles Davis influential funky electronic album ‘On the Corner’ in ‘72. He also played on Davis’ ‘Big fun’ and ‘Get up with it’ albums before recording five highly prized albums for the Muse label between 1974-1978. The albums include many Funky and Spiritual jazz tracks which have become Jazz Dance classics.  These albums have become in demand and hard to find collectors items. All have recently been released on CD by Soul Brother Records to critical acclaim.

Jazzwise magazine wrote of his material ‘If John Coltrane had recorded with James Brown this is how it may have sounded’.

For Record Store Day 2015 Soul Brother Records have compiled a Double Vinyl LP featuring 12 of his most in demand tracks. To source all of these tracks on their original vinyl LP’s would cost in the region of £200.

The tracks have been specially selected to include all of Carlos Dance floor classics plus some of his more spiritual Jazz epics. They have been re-mastered to a high standard. New artwork has been specially created for this release to capture the essence of the music.

These tracks feature some of the best New York Jazz musicians of the mid 70’s plus incredible vocalists including a young  Dee Dee Bridgewater on one of her first recordings.

This Double LP will be a limited edition of 500 and is sure to a popular Record Store day release for Jazz fans and collectors who are generally not very well catered for on the day. Check out the SBR page >Here<

post-2025-0-26739500-1429447172_thumb.jp

Edited by Mal C
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

this may or May not qualify here, but it was new to me until I visited Soul Brother records yesterday... and a big topic of discussion at a soul do in Birmingham last night with a mate Jason Starr...

If anybody reading this likes Jazz fusion, just buy this... absolutely brilliant....

Hi Mal. I'm certainly partial to a dash of more jazz oriented sounds when the mood takes me and Ukvibe website is a brilliant for dipping in and out of what's new on that side with some great articles and interviews. Cheers for posting, now I know you'll have some decent new soul to add in here too :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Seeing as Mal has included recent release on the more jazz side of things, this whole cd kept me awake in the car lots last year with some great artists featured like Pete Simpson, N'Dea Davenport, Diviniti. Here's a taster of one of the tracks, great summer sound I think! generally love anything Kyoto Jazz Massive are involved with :)

Edited by 71 Steve
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Last one from me today has been available on Download only since January and now on a limited 45 for Record Store Day, but guessing it will be on her next album...or maybe some left over from RSD hopefully.

The ever wonderful Sharon Jones and the Dap-kings "Little boys with shiny toys". Is she talking about us and cd's?! :D  :thumbsup:

Edited by 71 Steve
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Ola Anabule (out of Bedford !!) has been making great music for at least 20 years.

Lots of his older stuff goes down great on the dance floor (at MS events at least).

Can't recall the title of my fave dance cut by him at the moment (from 10 years or so back) but Rugged Ram put out a limited edition white label remix 12" of it that I gave to our kid (who was a Prestatyn W/Ender Modern Room DJ at the time). This used to go down really well whenever he played it.

Maybe he'll post up what the track title was as my memory is totally shot these days.

Are you thinking of [ "You Better Believe"] ? That was always a big fave of mine…..

Social source share

"Get the money" - a cracking boogaloo release from Amsterdam band The Mighty Typhoons and released as a 45 on the recently formed Tardam record label just a few weeks ago. I played this out at the Amsterdam Soul Club last week and it went down a storm.  :yes: 

The name Tardam combines the names Taranto in Italy and Amsterdam, the respective homes of the label's founders which include collector and DJ Goffredo Santovito.

By the way, the 2nd track on this three track 45 ISN'T that Snake!  :lol: 

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

Cheers everyone for getting on board this last week...it's going well hey! Alan (ajb) reminded me a few days ago about the similar lonnnnng running thread that he started a few years ago on EMS and still going strong, very "upfront" :wink: and some great stuff on there I seem to have missed, as always :D Good to have something similar now running on here too I think.

Anyway time flies as always and can't believe it's already been just over a year since the sad passing of Frankie Knuckles, so whilst not exactly "new" sounds, I'll certainly be ordering this imminent release, charity double cd comp covering much of his great work over the years...Defected presents House Masters Frankie Knuckles :)

https://defected.com/news/house-masters-frankie-knuckles/

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Total class...............................

Thanks again Alan for the heads up on this release...the limited promo release sold out within minutes that same night but the limited run of official release 45's is now open for ordering here, so get in early if anyone interested  :)

https://superdiscoedits.bigcartel.com/product/james-reese-and-the-progressions-feat-rosalyn-taylor-joker-where-did-you-go

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Excellent.  I didn't know this is coming.  They balance classic and new soul production sympathetically.

Giles Peterson played a track off the new album by The Monophonics that was fantastic the other day, think 1970s Buddah such as The Modulations.   Possibly it was 'Too Late' but I can't be sure.

I forgot to mention Soul Talk earlier, very good indeed and I look forward to when  Ralph  gets the Diplomats of Soul debut album done.

Not sure if you found the Monophonics track but might have been "Too Long" from their new album available now digitally and on vinyl from this July. Here's link to the track on Bandcamp where you can also hear the whole album and just buy individual tracks on MP3 if you don't want the whole thing.

https://monophonics.bandcamp.com/track/too-long

Real interesting band/album I think and "Promises" was released on a 45 by Colemine back in January, ahead of the album. :thumbsup:

Edited by 71 Steve
Social source share

The new album by Monophonics is great - Lying Eyes and especially Don't Leave Me Hangin' On could be 60s NS if you didn't know.  Not on Youtube yet, but worth a blind-listening test to see if you knew it's modern.    It's a corking time for new modern soul.   Cool Million album is out today and is wonderful as ever (better than III I think).  Saun & Starr and Tortured Soul next week.   Soul Love 2015 is on repeat.   In next few weeks are Lloyd Bridges, Opolopo album 'Superconductor', Kwabs.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Another current monster..........and coming on a 45 too!

Cheers,

Mark R

We went to see Ola a good few years back in good old Chelters with Dave & Malayka and came away with 4 of his CD's and this track was on one of them. he was excellent live BTW

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Carl Dixon

But I love this, especially written for Diane by UK song writer Ron Roker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeHTCL2p5Zs

"A short snippet of the demo of an original track written especially for Diane by Ron Roker (Dionne Warwick, Tina Charles, First Choice, The Real Thing). From the forthcoming album 'Love, Life & Strings' which can be pre-ordered from https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/d...

Social source share

Guest Dancrgettinspinz

You all might be into a new release I launched today:  Los Stellarians "The Mas Chingon".  Our storefront just went live and you can get our new album in digital format at a discounted price of $7.99 US.  Our vinyl won't be available for a few months but shortly our debut "Cholo Soul" will be available by next week on 140G.  That album was a throwback covers record of the marvel that was the mid-70's.  The new joint is more modern-soul minded with one ruca-ready rola midniter.  Not to mention that the artwork is firme holmes..!  Peep it.. https://holygrailien.merchdirect.com/categories/los-stellarians

post-31109-0-79785500-1432879218_thumb.j

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Yes, I agree Thinksmart, the whole album has a feel good retro sound, but with some fresh new songs and different covers. Diane is a terrific talent performing all over the place. Next Friday at The Hull Soul Club special for example. I will be there hoping to have a dance to 'Good lovin Man' off a 45 no less, just around the corner from where I studied soul and Motown in the 70's lol! 

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!