Sheet Music..?

Guest the dukester

Guest the dukester

My mate is after sheet music for..... wait for it..... Frank Wilson Do I Love You... his wife's fave.

Your help appreciated.

Social source share

Forget it, a record would have to be selling pretty well to be issued on sheet music. I am a sheet music collector you will find not many northern soul records made it to sheet but there are surprises this could be a good topic to find what did get printed a couple that surprised me that i have found are Darrell Banks open the door and N F Porter  keep on keeping on, be interested to hear what others have....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Very much doubt this song ever made it to sheet music, in the US or UK.

Forget it, a record would have to be selling pretty well to be issued on sheet music. I am a sheet music collector you will find not many northern soul records made it to sheet but there are surprises this could be a good topic to find what did get printed a couple that surprised me that i have found are Darrell Banks open the door and N F Porter  keep on keeping on, be interested to hear what others have....

I have Edwin Starr "Stop On Sight" and Tony Clarke's "The Entertainer" both on U.K. sheets.

Social source share

I have Edwin Starr "Stop On Sight" and Tony Clarke's "The Entertainer" both on U.K. sheets.

Yes, but back in the 60's (& then into the 70's) sheet music was published even for songs that didn't become hits.

After that period, officially printed sheet music dropped away quickly as less & less people were buying it.

By the early 80's (when the FW 45 was first released) I believe it was only Top 10 hits that the sheet music was usually printed up for (here in the UK at least). 

I also have loads of soul related sheet music, both US & UK. A posting on this topic could prove interesting.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

I've not been collecting long but have some very nice ones, to answer the question of unexpected Northern ones I have a very nice Gloria Taylor You Gotta Pay the Price, a signed Percy Sledge When a Man Loves a Woman, quite a few Motown, a couple of Wilson Picketts,Eddie Floyds Knock on Wood. Searching on American Ebay can be quite time consuming but worthwhile, I've found that not all titles come up on searches and to find the real gems you have to trawl through pages and pages of sheet music. One other Northern related one I've seen a couple of times is Jackie Lee the Duck.Not being blessed with a large bank account when you put the postage on top it can be quite expensive though nothing compared to record prices but still cost prohibitive for me personally.  

Edited by Twoshoes
Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest JonKeys

I don't think they've got Do I Love You yet, but Horn Scores is a pretty good site to check out for Soul and Motown related charts. They're mainly sax, trumpet parts etc. but they also provide detailed back line lead sheets. Worth a look. Horn Scores

Social source share

Does anyone have sheet music to Open The Door To Your Heart ? (I've tried ric-tic, whose copy has gone).

Just need a couple of bits copied from it for potential use as a tattoo incorporating my heart surgery scar.

Please PM me if you can help.

:hatsoff2:- Kev

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!