Soul With Jazzy Elements

With a thread on The Contemplations and the excellent Alone With No Love got me thinking that the record has some jazz flute element to it.Off the top of my head there are the obvious tracks with Jazzy elements Philly Dog by Herbie Mann,The Bottle,Karmello Brooks, Sonny Cravers I'm No Fool.I can always remember Gilles Peterson playing Elsie Mae and thinking this is mid tempo northern.Can anyone recommend any more.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Nancy Wilson End of Our love immediately springs to mind only coz shes such a great jazz vocalist anyway, always thought Rita DaCosta leaned a little towards the jazz side of things too. 

As for flutes they do crop up quite often although oft hidden within the orchestrations Darrow Fletchers What Have I got Now features flutes , creating a quite haunting sound.

Social source share

00191eba_medium.jpeg Some of the funk brothers moonlighted on jazz sessions its believed that elements of these sessions led to the richness of the Motown sound here's evidence of one such session Fred Jackson's 1962 Hootin' and Tootin' for Blue Note spot the well known organ player.

Edited by sjclement
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!