billywhizz

Mayweather V Pacquiao

My head would love to see Pacman knock the smarmy head off his shoulders although my heart says he's 5 yrs too late and i think Pretty Boy does it....

Both fighters have avoided each other for the fear of hurting their bank accounts.  This fight should have happened years ago.

But I fear Pacman is that little bit further over the hill than Mayweather.

Both fighters have avoided each other for the fear of hurting their bank accounts.  This fight should have happened years ago.

But I fear Pacman is that little bit further over the hill than Mayweather.

Dito for me Chalky, its 30 years ago this month when a prime time Marvin Hagler fought a prime time Tommy Hearns that produced 3 rounds of absolute  mayhem, now that was what you call a SUPER FIGHT, like Chalky says, for one reason or the other, they have avoided it to the point where both are on the slope, doesn't hold a candle to Hagler-Hearns and the like, oh for those great days, never to happen again

Kev

I want Pacman to win but I just can't see it happening.  He hasn't been the same since he was obliterated by Juan Manuel Marquez in their fourth meeting, two and a half years ago.

lets just hope the ref doesnt spoil it like he did in the hatton fight , they knew he was an inside fighter but every opportunity hatton got inside it got broke up, i hope manny knock him out cold

This obviously has the potential to be an all-time classic fight and I have a feeling it will live up to the hype.  If i was a betting man I'd have to go with Mayweather although Pacquiao is obviously one of the few fighters on the planet who has the potential to beat him   The other is Khan who, in my opinion has the best chance of any boxer around  today. Probably why Mayweather hasn't fought him yet and probably never will do.

It's funny talking about these two all-time greats being "on the slope". When there are only a handful of fighter on the planet who have a reasonable chance of beating either  then talk of being "on the slope" really is academic.  Rolling downhill from where to where exactly? :)

As for  the "golden ages" of the past: My favourite fighter was Hearns. He still is one of my favourite fighters of all time.. Even so back in the 70s and 80s some still looked back to the golden age of the 40s and 50s. Nothing ever changes. We're in a boxing golden age right now. This is as good as it gets.

Edited by maslar

This obviously has the potential to be an all-time classic fight and I have a feeling it will live up to the hype.  If i was a betting man I'd have to go with Mayweather although Pacquiao is obviously one of the few fighters on the planet who has the potential to beat him   The other is Khan who, in my opinion has the best chance of any boxer around  today. Probably why Mayweather hasn't fought him yet and probably never will do.

It's funny talking about these two all-time greats being "on the slope". When there are only a handful of fighter on the planet who have a reasonable chance of beating either  then talk of being "on the slope" really is academic.  Rolling downhill from where to where exactly? :)

As for  the "golden ages" of the past: My favourite fighter was Hearns. He still is one of my favourite fighters of all time.. Even so back in the 70s and 80s some still looked back to the golden age of the 40s and 50s. Nothing ever changes. We're in a boxing golden age right now. This is as good as it gets.

Agree Maslar that its as good as it gets as far as today goes, the point I was making in my post was that Hagler and Hearns didn't fuck about with politics etc, until they had run out of credible opponents, they were prime time, in the prime and peak of their powers and no man or organisation was going to stop these two magnificent fighters from getting it on, I honestly think they would have done it for nowt, they wanted to knock each others heads off and didn't disappoint. This can hardly be said of these two, perhaps its the sign of the times, and both are hardly at the peak of their powers. For what its worth, Mayweather can't and won't get involved in a dust up, really hope I am wrong but "Money" will find a way (messing Pacman about) and win a predictable points verdict. Admire your allegiance to Khan, but seriously, do you think the American market (which is what this is all about) will ever go rushing to buy a Khan fight, truth is, Mayweather doesn't and never has needed Khan, it would be a no win fight for him. Agree about Tommy Hearns, but for the fact Hagler got him into a war that night, Hearns could have boxed his way to victory, but the alure of knocking Marvin out was too much to resist

Kev

Shocking to hear that only 1000 tickets have been made available to the general public at the venue for this fight, the rest going to corporate bigwigs and the fighters' mates.

Khan :lol:   You're havin a laugh Maslar :lol:

the fight will be fixed, no dust up, very cagey and it will be very close.  We will then have a mulit million dollar rematch which will then make it 1-1 between them.  Then we will have an even bigger rematch for a decider.

Khan :lol:   You're havin a laugh Maslar :lol:

the fight will be fixed, no dust up, very cagey and it will be very close.  We will then have a mulit million dollar rematch which will then make it 1-1 between them.  Then we will have an even bigger rematch for a decider.

No, of all all the boxers out here right now who could claim a fight with Mayweather I believe that Khan poses the greatest threat to him.  You either see it or you don't. I read an article a few months ago where Freddie Roach said that Mayweather would probably try to avoid Khan because Khan's speed would worry him. I too believe this to be true. Also, despite what his knockers say, Khan can take punishment and Mayweather must know he has little more than the standard boxers chance of knocking him out. It would probably be a full 12 rounds and that would suit Khan down to the ground.  Of course a betting man would probably still put money on Mayweather but a sensible man would keep it in his pocket

Then again Freddie Roach is probably having a laugh too? I mean, wtf does he know? 

As  for talk of a fix? In what fight? Who's having laughing  now? Does anyone really think that Mayweather will end his twenty year unbeaten professional career with a loss just to set up a three fight saga? Now that really is cutting edge humour if ever I saw it. :):g::thumbsup:

I know you're all fight fans, but doesn't the constant hype irritate you? Heard on Friday one boxer saying it's the biggest fight ever to have been made, may have been Degale, but I might be doing him a disservice, but one of them said it. So this fight is bigger than Ali - Frazier, Ali -Foreman? 

I know you're all fight fans, but doesn't the constant hype irritate you? Heard on Friday one boxer saying it's the biggest fight ever to have been made, may have been Degale, but I might be doing him a disservice, but one of them said it. So this fight is bigger than Ali - Frazier, Ali -Foreman? 

personally I don't think there's been enough hype. This is a massive fight that has the potential to be an all-time classic. Whether it will be or not is another matter but  I think it will live up to expectations.

Mayweather; Undefeated over 20 years. Currently ranked Number One  Pound-For-Pound boxer by Ring Mag. A Five- weight world champion. Never been knocked down in 20 years of pro fights.  Would be  in many boxing fan's all-time top 5 list.

Pacquiao: Only a handful of losses over a 20 years pro-career. Only two loses in the last ten years - one a blatant fix. An EIGHT-weight world champion. Voted WBO fighter of the decade. Currently ranked Number Three PFP fighter in the world by Ring.

Pour that hype on. :)

my mate at work told me he's had £1000 online on mayweather to get £1480 back , i said u are F****N mental , he said if i had ten grand id av put it on....ok everyone expects him to win , but this is boxing and all it takes is just one punch...

Don't know who'll win, but Sky certainly won't be a loser, charging domestic users £20 for pay-per-view.  Christ knows what they'll be charging pubs and clubs to screen it.

Its $99 for home viewing in the states  -  We got off light

Paid my £20 and cant wait.

I want to see pretty boy on his arse  

greatest fight ever my arse , back in the day everybody and their dogs were enthralled by the ali-frazier -foreman fights and many millions including myself and most of those I knew would party round any of the above fights and wouldn't blink during the rounds , don't think I have heard it mentioned apart from on here and in the papers ,basically its a none event nationwide ,in fact cant think I have watched a full bout of either boxer fighting , just the highlights ,

greatest fight ever my arse , back in the day everybody and their dogs were enthralled by the ali-frazier -foreman fights and many millions including myself and most of those I knew would party round any of the above fights and wouldn't blink during the rounds , don't think I have heard it mentioned apart from on here and in the papers ,basically its a none event nationwide ,in fact cant think I have watched a full bout of either boxer fighting , just the highlights ,

I have to agree mate.  This fight doesn't come close to some of the fights from the 60's, 70's and even the 80's.  They aren't in the same class as Hearns, Hagler, Sugar Ray (Leonard or Robinson) and Roberto Duran IMO.  There has been some great fighters over the years who all fought each other in their prime.  They fought the best to be the best, not like these two who have avoided each other and others for fear of ruining reputations and bank accounts.  There is little wonder why boxing is in decline.

I have to agree mate.  This fight doesn't come close to some of the fights from the 60's, 70's and even the 80's.  They aren't in the same class as Hearns, Hagler, Sugar Ray (Leonard or Robinson) and Roberto Duran IMO.  There has been some great fighters over the years who all fought each other in their prime.  They fought the best to be the best, not like these two who have avoided each other and others for fear of ruining reputations and bank accounts.  There is little wonder why boxing is in decline.

Yes,a proper list of fighters there Chalky. I'm not going to watch the fight live.Probably slip Raging Bull on instead.

Duran, hearns, hagler, roldan, leonard , etc.   them were the days.  

Hearns v roldan.     A million for hearns, 1/4 million for roldan.  Pocket money compared to tonight, but I've yet to see such an exciting and edge of seat fight.   Glory days !

If tonight  is half as exciting, it will be a belter!  

Duran, hearns, hagler, roldan, leonard , etc.   them were the days.  

Hearns v roldan.     A million for hearns, 1/4 million for roldan.  Pocket money compared to tonight, but I've yet to see such an exciting and edge of seat fight.   Glory days !

If tonight  is half as exciting, it will be a belter!  

Remember it well Ian, Tommy was battering him, but Roldan was as hard as they came, Tommy must have thought "what do I have to do to get rid of this guy" then Roldan rocked Tommy, then when he got his head clear he knocked him out, unforgettable, like all Hearns fights, remember, this was 2 years after the Hagler SUPERFIGHT, what a warrior, but boy could he box aswell when he wanted to

Kev

Mayweather was the winner without doubt but he was spoiling far too much in the first four or five rounds, the ref should've stopped it straight away, we might have got a better fight then.

But Mayweather didn't have to do much, in fact he did very little with regards to fighting, stayed out of reach and hit him with the counter, don't think he threw one that would've knocked Pacman out?

Packman threw loads of punches but to little effect. Yes caught him three or four times, two good ones at least but never followed them up. He wasn't his busy nuisance of a boxer he was in the past.

​Far from a classic and on this showing neither would have troubled some of the greats mentioned earlier in the topic.

So glad I didn't stay up or better still, pay good money to watch it. But it sounds like it went exactly as I expected it to, fully distance,points win for Mayweather.

Once again, two fighters past thier prime and a big payday display.

But that said, Mayweather is too classy and to be fair on him, he has been in with plenty of bangers and non have managed to battler him.

People hate him for being arrogant, but Ali, Sugar Ray were arrogant, bit they were likeable because they also have charisma and charm,sadly Floyd missed out on that lesson :)

You need an ego and arrogance of some degree to succeed at the very top.  But at the end of the day top sports stars aren't there to be liked, they are there to win.  Many feed off the dislike or hatred shown to them, many it is just an act and are probably more than likeable away from the sporting arena.

But it was a rubbish fight really Nev, spoiled in the first few rounds by Mayweather's pulling down and holding but he did a job in stopping Pacman getting at him or finding any Rhythm.  Manny probably threw more punches that Mayweather threw but very few connected.  Mayweather knew he couldn't get involved in a dust up as he would probably have lost and simply stayed out of reach and hitting on the counter. 

Edited by chalky

Surprised to see Mayweather threw more punches.  I knew what he threw were more effective.....

Mayweather  -  Pacquiao

Punches thrown

435  -  429

Punches landed

148  -  81

Jabs thrown

267  -  193

Jabs landed

67  -  18

Says it all really.

Edited by chalky

Wasn't the best fight I've ever watched.

FM too much class. Although he went out not to get beat rather than go out & win it, but his class showed in the end.

Two guys both at the end of their career, FM get his 50 unbeaten & retire.

FM has been by far the best of his entire generation & some, no one will touch his record.

I wanted Manny because he's charismatic, he tried but he could do what was needed, FM just too good.

I don't think I'd pay to watch that again, I've seen better fights in Warrington town centre on a Saturday night to be honest.

Disgraceful and farcical the money that some people can afford to throw around just so they can be seen at a fight.

I read this morning that Manny had an injury that required an injection painkiller so he could fight. That the governing bodies wouldn't allow it so he fought one handed.

That just sums up the fight game. It's a bloody dodgy business and the sums of money involved just make that inevitable.

The older I get the more cynical I get. Sorry, just my personal opinion.

I don't know what fight some people were watching but that was a great fight. Not a classic but certainly not as bad as I'd been expecting reading some of the comments flying around  internet land today. Mayweather gives a boxing masterclass and the crowd boo him. I think Froch summed it up at the end: It was a boxing purists fight. Brilliant performance from Mayweather. 

It's pretty funny when you see some trying to insinuate FM is somehow near the end. He's only retiring becasue he wants to not becasue physically or mentally he has to. Big difference. I have no doubt whatsoever that if he wanted to he could fight at the very top for at least another 4 or 5 years. Look at his movement and speed he showed last night. It was unbelievable. No wonder Froch said he was "mesmerised".  There are world class boxers half his age who can't move like that. 

I don't know what fight some people were watching but that was a great fight. Not a classic but certainly not as bad as I'd been expecting reading some of the comments flying around  internet land today. Mayweather gives a boxing masterclass and the crowd boo him. I think Froch summed it up at the end: It was a boxing purists fight. Brilliant performance from Mayweather. 

It's pretty funny when you see some trying to insinuate FM is somehow near the end. He's only retiring becasue he wants to not becasue physically or mentally he has to. Big difference. I have no doubt whatsoever that if he wanted to he could fight at the very top for at least another 4 or 5 years. Look at his movement and speed he showed last night. It was unbelievable. No wonder Froch said he was "mesmerised".  There are world class boxers half his age who can't move like that. 

Why fight again he's a bloody millionaire now?

He gave a masterclass in running and counter punching, punches which had little effect yet scored.  Hard.y a boxing masterclass as he didn't box.  And the only reason he can stay at the top is because of the state boxing is in.

If Pacman had boxed how he normally does, with both hands, and Mayweather mixed it up it would have been totally different.  Maybe if the ref had got to grips with Mayweathers fouling early on it might have been different.

Great quote earlier in one report, " If that was the fight of the century, it's a good job there are another 85 years left".

Was pretty much as expected mayweather was never going to mix it up with pacman,he fought his planned fight.Dont know if the pacman injury is fact, but was a a very forgettable fight.Never liked mayweather but he has been an excellent boxer over the years,have loved following pacmans career over the years fantastic guttsy talented fighter. 

Disgraceful and farcical the money that some people can afford to throw around just so they can be seen with a certain record.

Ain't that the truth.

Derek

Forgive me it's my twisted sense of humour.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.