Rappers Unlimited

Brotherly Love (on Music Merchant)

But my fave kiddie soul record must be:

Jackson 5 "big boy" (Steeltown)

Truly soulful although Michael must be about 3 or 2 or something :P

best

Leo

Social source share

Doh! Can't remember his name ... Little something.... (have to look at the video when I get home tonight) but he was the most awesome kid performer I've ever seen and his footwork were wicked... He sang a couple of songs on "The Beat" tv series from 1966. Bugger - I'll find out his name and get back to you....

------------------------------------

On the subject of "The Beat" - if anyone hasn't seen it yet - you're badly missing out. Around 25 episodes were filmed by a Texan TV station in 1966.

The number of AND quality of artists was phenomenal - Little Milton, Esther Phillips, Carla Thomas, Barbara Lynn, Johnie Taylor.... and the kid.

I know most of the stuff was lip synched but the house band (Clarence Gatemouth Brown and the Beat Boys), when they did play, was superb - oh and the backing dancers were a joy!

Right - i'll let you get back onto the subject of kids ....

Social source share

Doh! Can't remember his name ... Little something.... (have to look at the video when I get home tonight)  but he was the most awesome kid performer I've ever seen and his footwork were wicked...  He sang a couple of songs on "The Beat" tv series from 1966.    Bugger - I'll find out his name and get back to you....

------------------------------------

On the subject of "The Beat" - if anyone hasn't seen it yet - you're badly missing out.  Around  25 episodes were filmed by a Texan TV station in 1966. 

The number of AND quality of artists was phenomenal  - Little Milton, Esther Phillips, Carla Thomas, Barbara Lynn, Johnie Taylor.... and the kid.

I know most of the stuff was lip synched but the house band (Clarence Gatemouth Brown and the Beat Boys), when they did play, was superb - oh and the backing dancers were a joy! 

Right - i'll let you get back onto the subject of kids ....

link

Little...Ferguson...whats his name...

Social source share

Little Gary Ferguson...for anyone interested please see below..

6) Best Of The Beat

THIS FOOTAGE FROM THE BEAT IS ALL TAKEN FROM THE FANTASTIC LOCAL TEXAS TV SHOW BROADCAST FROM 1965 TO EARLY 1967. IN MANY CASES IT IS THE ONLY FOOTAGE AVAILABLE OF THESE ARTISTS. MY ORIGINAL COMPILATION HAD TO BE DUBBED FROM A MASTER VHS COPY WHICH IN TURN WAS RECORDED FROM THE SEPARATE ORIGINALS, THEREFORE YOU WERE AUTOMATICALLY TWO AWAY FROM THE MASTER TAPE. THIS TIME I'VE RECORDED IT STRAIGHT FROM THE MASTER ONTO DVD, AND THEN COPIED THE DVD, LOSING NO QUALITY WHATSOEVER.

NOTE THAT A TIME CODE RUNS THROUGHOUT THESE CLIPS, AFTER A WHILE YOU GET USED TO IT AND DON'T NOTICE IT. THE QUALITY IS VG. VERY FEW PICTURE BREAKS AND FULL COLOUR, BUT DUE TO THE SOURCE AND THE FACT IT WAS TRANSFERRED OVER FROM NTSC, DO NOT EXPECT DIGITAL QUALITY. IT IS PERFECTLY GOOD THOUGH AND IF ANYONE HAD TOLD ME THAT I WOULD BE ABLE TO WATCH THE LIKES OF MAMIE GALORE, GERRI HALL, JAMO THOMAS AND THE DOLLS PERFORMING THEIR NORTHERN CLASSICS ON MY OWN TV, I'D HAVE SAID THEY WERE MAD!

Little Milton - We're Gonna Make It / Frank Howard & The Commanders - Shotgun / Little Milton - Who's Cheating Who / Esther Phillips - Just Say Goodbye / Etta James - Something Gotta Hold On Me / Latimore Brown - I Feel Good / Lee Shot Williams & Gerri Taylor - Tighten Up Your Game / Cleo Randle - Big City Lights / Mighty Joe Young - Sufferin' Soul / Carla Thomas - Move On Drifter / Jimmy Church - The Duck / Frank Howard & The Commanders - Land Of 1000 Dances / Joe Tex - Fresh Out Of Tears / Carla Thomas - Baby Let Me Be Good To You / Jimmy Church - I Can't Turn You Loose / Gerri Taylor - Empty Arms And Bitter Tears / Jimmy Church - Uptight / Barbara Lynn - What'd I Say / Little Gary Ferguson - I Feel Good / Barbara Lynn - You'll Lose A Good Thing / Kelly Brothers - I'd Rather Have You / Joe Tex - If Sugar Was As Sweet As You / Charles Hodges - My Half A Heart / Mighty Hannibal - Jerking The Dog / Wanda Rouzen - Come See About Me / Dolls - And That Reminds Me Of You / The Dolls - The Reason Why / Johnny Taylor - Changes / Rodge Martin - Respect / Rodge Martin - They Say / Maurice & The Radiants - Voice Your Choice / Maurice & The Radiants - Baby You Got It / Johnny Taylor - Rome Wasn't Built In A Day / Maurice & The Radiants - You've Been Cheating / Maurice & The Radiants - Shotgun / Poppies - Lullaby Of Love / Les Watson & The Panthers - Beg Me / Gwen Davis - I Can't Be Your Part Time Baby / Robert Parker - Barefootin' / Latimore Brown - You Can't Sit Down / Gwen Davis - My Man Don't Think I Know / Mamie Galore - It Ain't Necessary / Jamo Thomas - I Spy For The Fbi / Robert Parker - Just A Little Bit / Chuck Bernard - Talkin' Bout My Baby / Mamie Galore - Special Agent 34-24-38 / Robert Parker - Let's Go Baby (Where The Action Is) / Jamo Thomas - Arrest Me / Latimore Brown - Your Bag Of Tricks / Frank Howard & The Commanders - I'm Glad I Found You / Rodge Martin - Lovin' Machine / Gerri Hall - Who Can I Run To / Bobby Hebb - Sunny / Tammy Mcknight - Take Away These Chains / Eva Larch - Bye Bye Baby / Four M's - The Monkey Time / Joe Simon - Long Hot Summer / Vernice Stalks - Everything He Needs / Willie Mitchell - 24-75 / Don Bryant - That Sweet Baby Talk / Mitty Collier - I'm Having A Party / Otis Redding - Mr. Pitiful / Garnet Mimms - I'll Take Good Care Of You / Percy Sledge - When A Man Loves A Woman

IF YOU LIKE THE LOOK OF THE BEAT AS FEATURED ABOVE AND WANT TO DELVE A LITTLE DEEPER, I DO HAVE THE ENTIRE SET OF THE BEAT ON 6 DVD'S. THEY RUN FOR A TOTAL OF 13 HOURS! THEY CONTAIN DEEP SOUL BALLADS, BLUES, EVEN LOUIS JORDAN! PRICE FOR THIS SET £50 (THE ORIGINAL VHS SET COST A LOT MORE THAN THIS!). EMAIL ME FOR A LIST OF CONTENTS.

Social source share

L.J. Reynolds' 45s as Larry "Chubby" Reynolds on Tri-Spin are all vocally awesome. Apparently he was only twelve or thirteen when they were recorded. Also, the first few Darrow Fletcher 45s have some serious soul singing in the grooves.

link

I found a web site about L.J. Reynolds where it says he was 11 years old on the Sweet Tooth recording, quite amazing.

Social source share

Little Gary Ferguson

Thanks for putting me out of my misery ! :P

By the way Pete, I'd love to get the full set on DVD. I've leant out my VHS copies so many times they're pretty unwatchable now. Have to wait till I rob my next bank though before I can make a purchase :P

Social source share

Thanks for putting me out of my misery !  :P

By the way Pete,  I'd love to get the full set on DVD. I've leant out my VHS copies so many times they're pretty unwatchable now.  Have to wait till I rob my next bank though before I can make a purchase  :P

link

They're a lot better on dvd, seems to have smoothed the grain out - plus on Kev Roberts' latest dvd's they've somehow managed to remove the timecodes on 4 or 5 tracks.

You tell me when you've got some money and I'll do you a set for 30 quid ok :P

Social source share

Nice one pete..What do you mean by modern?????after 73 or anything after 69...

link

Bit hard to explain. I like all the things that were played when I were a lad, the uptempo 70's records like johnny williams, east coast connection, norma jenkins, marvin holmes, you know...1974-77 period...especially Cleethorpes type sounds...obviously things like Mel britt, Pyramid...I just like nondescript bland 70's/80's/90's modern soul thats all

Social source share

With Little Willie Littlefield's jangling piano and Little Esther's ice cold and clear delivery on 'Street Lights' this early 50s Federal recording must be one of the finest by a child.This is a brilliantly engineered record, too, that creates a palapable atmoshphere Voice and piano take it in turns to put the listener in a street at midnight under a streetlight. All else is in shadow.

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

Bit hard to explain. I like all the things that were played when I were a lad, the uptempo 70's records like johnny williams, east coast connection, norma jenkins, marvin holmes, you know...1974-77 period...especially Cleethorpes type sounds...obviously things like Mel britt, Pyramid...I just like nondescript bland 70's/80's/90's modern soul thats all

link

I think most of us are with you on that one Pete.. Bland modern soul with no balls...Sounds like a lot of that stuff on smoooooooooooooooth FM.....CRAP INDEED....

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Ah, I changed it slightly on the header, it says best child voice RECORD not just voice  :D

link

Peter! Stevie was singing and makin records for motown at the age of 14! surely i don't have to name all his records! Anyone who knows his early recordings was great!! he probably inspired the likes of Ronnie Mcnair and Darrow Fletcher :D

Social source share

Couse they were you numpty, pah call yourself a Northern Soul fan

Cheers

Steve

link

Well seing as Dena Barnes (gardenia barnes) co wrote her own record she's hardly likely to be a child is she, and Little Ann was 20 years old when she recorded for ric tic.

Edited by PeteStoneIsland
Social source share

Agreed, Pete... "Hot Line" is a killer. But for me, personally, I've got to go with Darrow Fletcher, just for his overall body of work. And if I have to go with one particular track, it would be "The Way of a Man" on Revue. It's definitely not his most proper northern-sounding number, but great nonetheless.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

did any one here the 13 yr old girl sing on the LA trip wow what a voice she done a

etta james song on stage i think i speek for every one there totaly mind blowing

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!