Bobby Cutchins I Did It Again

Best fivers/ tenners worth you can find in my opinion, arguably of course. From what I've read on his Facebook post Bobby seems like a lovely guy and a very caring person too. To me it's a record that epitomises the movement into modern soul and crossover becoming really big. As far as I remember it was played by Richard, Arthur and Sam and it was covered as JR Bailey "So Glad" as I recall. 

Edited by John Everard
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Thank you Gaz, much appreciated. I've been lucky enough recently to spend quality time with someone within the scene who has been both a successful event promoter and experienced some of the Showcases in the USA over the years.

I both celebrate,,and slightly envy, dear friends who, can count such legends as Sydney Barnes and Spyder Turner as friends.

Conversely, never having met Bobby Cutchins, or many more of my musical heroes, a comment from them recognising OUR, not mine but the scene collectively's appreciation of the music they performed and produced invigorates these artists and in my opinion adds value to them in their later years.

To discover in later life, that a performance, a record, a following you had, and/or, still have, vindicates the effort, hardship and sacrifices, made by these artists. I only wish that these many Artistes that succeeded, A:'would have know of it and B: would have, could have abs should have, benefitted financially.

Edited by John Everard
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Fantastic, Jesse Henderson's version too!

I was never that keen on the BC version, But the Jesse Henderson version just does it for me, and I have no idea why. It's very 80's which I normally hate, but it's got that special "something" that can't be explained.

I remember Richard Searling playing it on his old radio show. 

Edit. It's too long by 5 minutes though.  :sleep3:

Edited by Quinvy
Social source share

One of these tunes that if it were rare it would be worth 4 figures. Ditto Cheryl Berdell in my view.

I absolutely, totally couldn't agree more. Both to me are iconic Wigan (and elsewhere plays) indicative of the movement into QUALITY MODERN SOUL.  I was reading a post on here earlier today re: TEARRA. Nice tune but not as good as either of the above in my humble opinion. Price, for a crappy copy on eBay, with faults, including duty, a thousand dollars.

Backing up the collective view of you and I: Cheryl Berdell versus Pages Heartaches and Pains. Same period, same DJ's, same playlists/ clubs etc. I value them equally. Brilliant, brilliant, innovative records, literally scene changers.

Over fifty years, I've bought, collected and appreciated  many fine things, from art, antiques, sculpture, books and most of all memories and experiences, and I learned early that : 'Quality is remembered, long after price is forgotten'. Surely to the majority of people on the scene this applies in a revised form: 'Quality is appreciated and remembered, long after price is ignored'.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Surely to the majority of people on the scene this applies in a revised form: 'Quality is appreciated and remembered, long after price is ignored'.

Good quote John - unfortunately lost to the minds of the cheque book Charlie masses who all clamour for the same tune.

Bobby Cutchins has never been an easy sell , or Jesse 's 12 " version for that matter . Trouble is 90 % of the buyers are all chasing the same titles - This causes a ripple effect on prices for a varying length of time - Meanwhile ... the quality  70 's early 80 ' s under £25 market stays stagnant - unfortunate but true....

Was bidding on a unknown gospel soul 45 from the 70 's yesterday  always searching under the radar ' do your own thing ' don't follow the mad prices .   Unfortunately outbid by six times  ( what I considered a healthy amount   ) A perfect example highlighting it is now reaching astronomical proportions with worldwide collectors able to purchase at the click of a button . Prices no one dreamed would be sustainable ten years back .   Amazing how so many quality £5/ 10 tunes fail to sell ..

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!