Which Came First?

Dobber

these are the versions im aware of,if there are others,please include in the mix!

anyway,i want to know,which is the true original,or which came first?

larry laster-go for yourself

larry atkins-lighten up

ty karim-lighten up

darrell-somebody somehere

ike & turner,somebody somewhere

one of these must have come first,or released first?

Social source share

these are the versions im aware of,if there are others,please include in the mix!

anyway,i want to know,which is the true original,or which came first?

larry laster-go for yourself

larry atkins-lighten up

ty karim-lighten up

darrell-somebody somehere

ike & turner,somebody somewhere

one of these must have come first,or released first?

Herb & Doris - somebody somewhere needs you

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Surely Ike & Tina was the first version, from May 1965.

Then Larry Laster, then Darrell Banks.

As for other versions with different backing tracks, The Mid Knights released a version on canadian Warner Bros in 1968 and also Natalie Baron on US Capitol from 1970. There's probably plenty more as well.

Edited by Sebastian
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Surely Ike & Tina was the first version, from May 1965.

Then Larry Laster, then Darrell Banks.

As for other versions with different backing tracks, The Mid Knights released a version on canadian Warner Bros in 1968 and also Natalie Baron on US Capitol from 1970. There's probably plenty more as well.

Never heard of the Natalie Baron - Must be one that passed me by.

Is it "Somebody Somewhere", or like Ty and the Larrys, a different song with the same backing?

Cheers

Mick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well, the release dates I know of are:

Ike & Tina Turner - Somebody Needs You (May 1965)

Larry Laster - Go For Yourself (June 1966)

Darrell Banks - Somebody (Somewhere) Needs You (September 1966)

Ty Karim - Lighten Up Baby (November 1967)

Larry Atkins - Lighten Up (July 1968)

Then there's the second recording of Lighten Up by Ty Karim on Romark, which was released in 1973.

I have no idea when the Herb & Doris on Hip was released, though suspect it could be a 70s issue of a 60s recording.  There was a time I thought it was a bad-quality reissue of Ike & Tina Turner - maybe it is?

Edited by Gene-R
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

From the Funky16Corners website:-

"Written by Frank Wilson (the man that brought you ‘Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)’), ‘Somebody (Somewhere) Needs You’ was also recorded by Darrell Banks (Revilot 1966).

The backing track from the Ike and Tina version was recycled several times.

First as Larry Laster’s ‘Go For Yourself’ (with new lyrics by, and credited to Leon Sylvers) on Loma in 1966, a year later by Herb and Doris on the HIP label, as ‘Lighten Up’ by Larry Atkins on the Highland label, and by Ty Karim as ‘Lighten Up Baby’ on Car-A-Mel!

Interestingly enough, the Darrell Banks recording uses a completely different track/arrangement."

So it looks like Herb and Doris was a 1967 release..

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Never heard of the Natalie Baron - Must be one that passed me by.

Is it "Somebody Somewhere", or like Ty and the Larrys, a different song with the same backing?

It is "Somebody Somewhere".

Actually, now that I think about it and have checked up the cat#, it must've been on canadian Capitol. Natalie seems to be Canadian and have released songs in french as well and has got several releases on canadian Capitol.

I used to have a soundclip of her version, but can't find it at the moment. It appears on several playlists by the Soul Source user "Mischief" by the way.

Natalie Baron - C'est Fini, Va-t-en / Trois Mots - CAPITOL 85.038

Natalie Baron - (Somebody Somewhere) Needs You / Window Wishing - CAPTIOL 72600

Natalie Baron - The Next Sound you Hear / Jamie - CAPITOL 72610

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I NEVER saw the Herb and Doris.  And I was living in L.A. at the time that recording was made.  I really doubt that is came out on vinyl during the '60s.  I think it was a '60s recording, first released in the '70s (after I started spending most of my time in The Eastern Hemisphere).  I would have seen it at Record Merch, or one of the other distributors, and in the record shops (Dolphins of Hollywood, Flash, Sam's, Pat's, Wenzel's Music Town, House of Records, etc.).

Social source share

I NEVER saw the Herb and Doris.  And I was living in L.A. at the time that recording was made.  I really doubt that is came out on vinyl during the '60s.  I think it was a '60s recording, first released in the '70s (after I started spending most of my time in The Eastern Hemisphere).  I would have seen it at Record Merch, or one of the other distributors, and in the record shops (Dolphins of Hollywood, Flash, Sam's, Pat's, Wenzel's Music Town, House of Records, etc.).

There's a Herb & Doris release on MCA UK.Maybe the release date on that may be an indication.?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!