Records Advertised By Clubs In Blues And Soul

Dayo

I don't know if this topic has been covered before, but does anyone agree that the practice of clubs advertising their "top sounds" by title or artist had a massive effect on the early scene?

I think the first sounds advertised in Blues and Soul may have been Suffering City, Chinatown, baby Reconsider, The Sloopy and Cigarette Ashes, but I can't be sure or recall which club.  Cats? If memory serves, it first started happening in 1971.

Speaking for myself, I can vividly recall the tingle of excitement at seeing those ads - especially if it was a record I didn't know (and back then, most of them were!)  

For me and my mates at the time it was a massive driver of the scene.  We just craved more knowledge.  "Exus what?  Exus Trek?  There's a record called Exus Trek?!!!  What?  Who?"

The height of excitement was a full page ad when Va Va opened with a list of Richard Searling stuff to make you drool....

Was anyone else anorak enough to write these titles and or artists down in a book and tick them off once you'd heard them?

Happy days.

Edited by Dayo
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I don't know if this topic has been covered before, but does anyone agree that the practice of clubs advertising their "top sounds" by title or artist had a massive effect on the early scene?

For sure, if you lived in the South the only way to know what was going on north of the Watford Gap was via magazines like Blues & Soul.

Social source share

I think it was a great idea.Gave you a flavour of what was being played.I revived it for one of my flyers about 4 years ago and Dave Evison said he had not seen it since the early eighties.The standard of flyers today is shocking,Scooters and targets with owls.Photoshop has a lot to answer for.I even saw an advert for a £30 soul weekender at Scarborough with no deejays advertised. What is that about?.  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Lebanon Strings "I Miss My Baby" = "Bari Track".

Not just the Sounds; Numero Uno DJ Richard Searling was regularly advertised as Stirling,Starling and even Sealing!

Social source share

I think the first sounds advertised in Blues and Soul may have been Suffering City, Chinatown, baby Reconsider, The Sloopy and Cigarette Ashes, but I can't be sure or recall which club.  Cats? If memory serves, it first started happening in 1971.

Speaking for myself, I can vividly recall the tingle of excitement at seeing those ads - especially if it was a record I didn't know (and back then, most of them were!)  

For me and my mates at the time it was a massive driver of the scene.  We just craved more knowledge.  "Exus what?  Exus Trek?  There's a record called Exus Trek?!!!  What?  Who?"

The height of excitement was a full page ad when Va Va opened with a list of Richard Searling stuff to make you drool....

Was anyone else anorak enough to write these titles and or artists down in a book and tick them off once you'd heard them?

Happy days.

yeah fraid so..many of those sounds became buzz words long before we'd actually heard the record..i carried a book (still have it) and wrote down anything i came across in conversation or a list, Check out the North column, etc..those that appeared in club ads you particularly tried to seek out..

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It was all part of the mystique surrounding the whole scene. Absolutely magical. It's all too easy now. It sometimes took you years to find out what a track was. It would take a couple of clicks of a mouse now.  :lol:

That's a good point, Quinvy.  It was all difficult.  No mobiles, no internet, even getting from Worcester to Blackpool was hard - that's what made it sooooo worthwhile.  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!