Jm Million Dollar Guide

Moin,

Does Anybody Know The Owners Of The Named Records?

Hope Its OK And One Can Match One Of The Ultra Rare Ones To The Owner.

e.g. Never Heard "Arthur Willis & The Soulful Dynamics" ... Can´t Find Anything Not Even a Soundfile ... Does Anyone The Owner?

I Guess The Mello Souls Belong To Butch ... But What About the Carl Willinghan Collection?

Month Ago There Was A Link To JM ... Apparently Its Deleted!

So Would Be Nice If Someone Got Some Ideas Or Knows Some Of The Guys And Their Recs Personally.

Thx

Zanetti

Social source share

I believe JM used a lot of record scans from his auction items. I also heard that he borrowed records from some big collectors to get scans etc.

I know for certain that the scans of Paris and Sandy Wynn's on Doc were taken off my 45's that JM auctioned for me years ago.

As for "Arthur Willis & The Soulful Dynamics" it's been a big spin for Butch for many years now. Very few copies have ever turned up. It's one of those 45's that grows on you, it's not instant, but I love it and it sounds fantastic played out. I have a rough sound file somewhere. If I can find it I will send it to you.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Moin,

Does Anybody Know The Owners Of The Named Records?

Hope Its OK And One Can Match One Of The Ultra Rare Ones To The Owner.

e.g. Never Heard "Arthur Willis & The Soulful Dynamics" ... Can´t Find Anything Not Even a Soundfile ... Does Anyone The Owner?

I Guess The Mello Souls Belong To Butch ... But What About the Carl Willinghan Collection?

Month Ago There Was A Link To JM ... Apparently Its Deleted!

So Would Be Nice If Someone Got Some Ideas Or Knows Some Of The Guys And Their Recs Personally.

Thx

Zanetti

Why are you so interested in who owns the records? Loads of people have rare records. At least 5+ copies of Arthur Willis. Mello Souls is also more than a single copy too 4 and an acetate I think.  The link is probably deleted because it is out of date.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Why are you so interested in who owns the records? Loads of people have rare records. At least 5+ copies of Arthur Willis. Mello Souls is also more than a single copy too 4 and an acetate I think.  The link is probably deleted because it is out of date.

Or link deleted to "help" you to buy the book. :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I believe JM used a lot of record scans from his auction items. I also heard that he borrowed records from some big collectors to get scans etc.

I know for certain that the scans of Paris and Sandy Wynn's on Doc were taken off my 45's that JM auctioned for me years ago.

As for "Arthur Willis & The Soulful Dynamics" it's been a big spin for Butch for many years now. Very few copies have ever turned up. It's one of those 45's that grows on you, it's not instant, but I love it and it sounds fantastic played out. I have a rough sound file somewhere. If I can find it I will send it to you.

Top ... Would Be Great to Send It

Social source share

John Manship's "Rarest of the Rare" label scans pages were great...and I'm sure quite a few folk bought records from the net on the strength of them simply being within those pages alone, and without even hearing them! However, it did get a little out of hand and quite a few non rarities appeared on it, thus distilling its relevance and distorting some people's opinions of what was a rarity, let alone valuations. That said, would welcome it back.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

My English Is Not So Brilliant That I Can/Will Talk To An "British Record Guru"  :D

I am sure plenty on here will be willing to do that. But without sounding funny it might help if you say what your angle is for wanting to talk to British Record Guru - are you a journalist, collector, just curious, a film maker?

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

House burglar? :wicked:

-Could be that bloke with the stripe jumper and black eye mask who is sometimes seen lurking around the stage at nighters.

Social source share

That Arthur Willis though, fantastic backing but terrible singer - another emperors new clothes record

First time I heard it,I was chatting to someone at lifeline... Quickly made my excuses,put pint on table and got on the dance floor!

Didn't know who it was,what it was, never heard anyone discuss it previous... So if that's a definition of " emperors new clothes " i fully understand you :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The book is brilliant and a must for all serious vinyl hounds. The contributors are credited at the front but are ordinary guys who don't seek publicity in the UK or the USA. Several of the records pictured have been sold on via JM auctions. If you want info on a specific record, someone on here may give you brief details. Most of the records featured are hard to obtain and some are almost impossible to acquire so it's worth attending a major venue when the scans' contributors are DJing. Could you tell us which of the records featured in the book you have in your collection?

Social source share

Think Andy Rix had Arthur Willis first, was discovered in the States (think the finder is on here) and Barry James had something to do with bringing it over.  One was found in Blackpool a few years back so I heard..

Think you'll find it was a Rod Shard discovery from the mid 80's, & guess who bought it then  sat on it for a decade or 2 ! ( sadly not me  :( )

Social source share

Think you'll find it was a Rod Shard discovery from the mid 80's, & guess who bought it then  sat on it for a decade or 2 ! ( sadly not me  :( )

Think Andy Rix had Arthur Willis first, was discovered in the States (think the finder is on here) and Barry James had something to do with bringing it over.  One was found in Blackpool a few years back so I heard..

I was at Rob Thomas' house one night and he played it (I thought it was shite imho ) and I'm sure Sam was going to buy it but declined at the price Rob wanted , made me laugh 'cause he just said " well fooking suit yourself somebody else wants it " lol , then bugger me Tom Moulton rings him up , not for Arthur Willis may I say  :lol:

Edited by SWIFTY
Social source share

would say its US ... concerning the typo ... but can be wrong aswell  :)

It's on Mars La Tour, a label out of Marietta, Georgia.  I think "The Hurting Is Over" was a late 60s ('68 at the earliest) or a very early 70s release, as the copies I've seen are in Stereo.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!