Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Dave Moore

3D Printing.... It's The Future

3D printing has been "the future" for quite a few years now. It's already impacted on my partner's business. She makes props, costumes and well, just about anything, for all branches of the entertainment industry.

Say someone comes to her and asks for a replica of Tutankhamun's death mask or a goblin axe or a sculpture of something for a TV show or theatre production and nowadays everyone just thinks that you press a magic button and voila! out it pops from a 3D printer.

People, it seems, no longer realise or care that there is – or was – a lot of craftsmanship involved in making things to order. They just want someone to press a button.

"Star Trek" replicators are the way of the future. Great in many wondrous ways that we're yet to imagine, but also very sad in others.

I guess that's been the same way with 'progress' since man first stood upright.  With the developments now in 3D printing it's now a case of bringing the costs of the technology within the grasp of ordinary people (which isn't too far away I reckon), then it'll REALLY take off.

Our Grandkids have a wonderous world awaiting them for sure!

Regards,

Dave

It really is amazing. I'm looking to have an object done for an exhibition that's coming up in a few months, hope it happens. Went to the Eight Mummies exhibition at the British Museum last week while down there for training, they used CT scanning and 3D printing in a fantastic way. They printed replicas of objects buried with the mummies that wouldn't have even been known about let alone seen. Like I said, amazing

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts