Chip Tyler Because I Love You

Guest Okeh

Remember this as being a popular alternate version of the Jerry Williams classic If you ask me.

I was always under the impression that it was the rarer of the two and its  one that I haven't heard played out for years.

Anyone out there know the story about this one, current value etc?

Social source share

Remember this as being a popular alternate version of the Jerry Williams classic If you ask me.

I was always under the impression that it was the rarer of the two and its  one that I haven't heard played out for years.

Anyone out there know the story about this one, current value etc?

Quite a rare record, and very hard to get on issue (should have thought of this one for the other thread)

I saw an issue for sale about 5 years ago and it was £400.

Social source share

Picked one up in a pack a few weeks back.......very similar to Jerry Williams.......played it out and nobody noticed different take

It is a very similar take, always sounded more speeded up to my ears. Vocals are different but the production is still there with great horns and strings.

Social source share

Quite a rare record, and very hard to get on issue (should have thought of this one for the other thread)

I saw an issue for sale about 5 years ago and it was £400.

Yeah green issue does seem to be rarest format but don't see too many demo's come up either. I'd be interested to know if it gets played out much or just a collectors piece.

Sure I saw it listed on a John Vincent playlist sometime last year.

Social source share

Issue was booted on a much brighter green label. Don't think the White demo was.

That's right - the pressing is on a bright green label, black lettering (no lines) and pressed on styrene.  Original issue is dark green, silver lettering on a lined label.

Most importantly, the pressings 'wrongly' credit it as "If You Ask Me.... (Because I Love You)", as opposed to the original title of just simply "Because I Love You".

Edited by Gene-R
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

That's right - the pressing is on a bright green label, black lettering (no lines) and pressed on styrene.  Original issue is dark green, silver lettering on a lined label.

Most importantly, the pressings 'wrongly' credit it as "If You Ask Me.... (Because I Love You)", as opposed to the original title of just simply "Because I Love You".

Thanks for the info Gene.

Can only guess that if the fakers took the trouble to bootleg it, it must have been pretty popular.

Social source share

Another 4 week wonder spin, we thought this was actually a tailor made, I was really surprised when it wasn't.  Not sure if it's the same person as Chip Taylor though?

Cheers Pete, was it short lived because it was booted or that Jerry Williams was the popular choice?

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I always play this in oldies spots , the vocals are far more soulful than gravely gobbed J.W. also the break is longer with the addition of stinging strings . It's a Canadian release I believe and I had this one off John Manship about 25 years ago for about eight quid. Mines a demo but he had the issue at the time for eight quid so I believed the demo to be rarer and copped for  that one. Make no difference to me demo/issue eight quid still playing it two and a half decade on ...bargain .

regards .S.

Social source share

I always play this in oldies spots , the vocals are far more soulful than gravely gobbed J.W. also the break is longer with the addition of stinging strings . It's a Canadian release I believe and I had this one off John Manship about 25 years ago for about eight quid. Mines a demo but he had the issue at the time for eight quid so I believed the demo to be rarer and copped for  that one. Make no difference to me demo/issue eight quid still playing it two and a half decade on ...bargain .

regards .S.

I like them both Simon but must admit that the Chip Tyler version does seem to have something that JW doesn't. Not sure if it's the vocals or the backing but definitely something.

Social source share

Wouldn't have thought that much more than £100. There have been a fair few through Ebay in the last five years, all less than a £100.There was even an issue for less than £100.

Anyone that tells you it's a £400 record, has one for sale

All to do with condition I guess Dave. Seen a few listed on here in the past for £150-£200. 

Maybe top end of £200 for a mint copy.

Social source share

All three, first two original, third boot.

Interested to see that Jerry Williams produced this version as well, which leads me to think it's the exact same backing, different vocalist

attachicon.gifchip tyler.jpg

attachicon.gifchip tyler2.jpg

attachicon.gifchip tyler3.jpg

It is Dave. Maybe the guy was a friend, because recording both sides of Jerry's record is just too much of a coincidence, especially as Jerry's wife was Yvonne (I think)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Oh come on guys, it's a pale shadow of the Jerry Williams version...

Used to think the same Pete but not so much now. Definitely something in there that I like.

Never had a copy of Chip Tyler but been listening to it quite a lot lately.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!