Rare Soul Scene - Squeeze

There are obviously still traditional Northern Soul functions (often now labelled Oldies do's) and these were increasingly supplemented with a growing emergence of 2nd rooms where other styles were explored in more details such as R&B, rare and underplayed and funky type soul........

Lately I have noticed that the rare and underplayed crowd had either moved into funky edged soul or back to more traditional Oldies venues............

Has the Rare Soul Scene shrunk / been squeezed ?

What I am getting at here is not necessarily venues that play the top 500, but venture in to the rare and underplayed without focusing that much on R&B or funky edged....................

Perhaps some suggestions of venues that still pursue this style / ethos ?

Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

There are obviously still traditional Northern Soul functions (often now labelled Oldies do's) and these were increasingly supplemented with a growing emergence of 2nd rooms where other styles were explored in more details such as R&B, rare and underplayed and funky type soul........

Lately I have noticed that the rare and underplayed crowd had either moved into funky edged soul or back to more traditional Oldies venues............

Has the Rare Soul Scene shrunk / been squeezed ?

What I am getting at here is not necessarily venues that play the top 500, but venture in to the rare and underplayed without focusing that much on R&B or funky edged....................

Perhaps some suggestions of venues that still pursue this style / ethos ?

Depends where you have "noticed", any places in particular? As far as i can see the Rare Soul Scene is as vibrant as ever.

It's all "Soul" music at the end of the day.... tinged with other ingredients. I don't know of one dj that would play an hour

of "Funky" type stuff as to me they seem to blend all very well 20 or so records.

It can't be easy pleasing everyone everytime as a DJ, it can be a thankless task at times!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!