Has Anyone Ever Counted?

Dayo

How many records are considered to be Northern Soul?

Realise that's an impossible question - especially given the wider diversity of sounds played these days.  Just a fun, frivolous thread really!

What is the size of the treasure trove? 

Edited by Dayo
Social source share

I think its far to subjective. 

You could argue that the JM price guide would be a good starting point and even then they'd be arguments over what might be an R&B record etc and what is 'Northern', plus the countless new plays and nuances in what can be categorised as a the northern sound. 
An example that comes to mind is 'Mark Putney - Don't come around here anymore/Today's Man on Ovide. I'd argue both sides are...funky-northern, ha! Some would say something else. 

Social source share

F**k me, there must be about 70.000 records l have not heard yet! :g:

Which clubs are playing em, count me in l will be there. :wicked:

That's now until l die taken care of music wise. :thumbsup:

Dave

The "Up Front" ones........sorry that's another thread :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Once talking to Tim Brown about this, maybe 20 years ago.

Tim said then no more than 10,000 max.

It might be an urban myth, but I heard somewhere that Tim Brown had set himself the challenge of owning at least one copy of every 45 considered northern?

Social source share

It might be an urban myth, but I heard somewhere that Tim Brown had set himself the challenge of owning at least one copy of every 45 considered northern?

Is that released north Of Watford.. It might be a new variation.we have that many now., modern.rare, r n b, popcorn, upfront, oldies, funky edge. (Is that a district of alderley edge. )all a load of bollocks. Sorry for off topic rant.

Good place to start would be how many labels there's been .... that have released records that have been considered northern soul

Steve

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest Mrs M

If there is allegedly so many 1000's then why the bleeding hell have we been subjected to the same monotonous shite week after week for years and years at venues lacking progression. Surely if you're a resident DJ you'd want to step away from the predictable and give the rest of the line up a whooping behind the decks, just as much as you want to wow the punters. I'd be interested to hear people's general consensus on WHAT is worthy of the label NORTHERN SOUL??

Edited by Mrs M
Social source share

If there is allegedly so many 1000's then why the bleeding hell have we been subjected to the same monotonous shite week after week for years and years at venues lacking progression. Surely if you're a resident DJ you'd want to step away from the predictable and give the rest of the line a whooping behind the decks, just as much as you want to wow the punters. I'd be interested to hear people's general consensus on WHAT is worthy of the label NORTHERN SOUL??

I always used to look forward to going out and listening to a different DJ at a different venue play their big track knowing I wouldn't hear it everywhere I went. At present you can hear any track you want EVERYWHERE you go because if the DJ hasn't got it he will have it next month. Now why is that? and that is the reason we are hearing the same old everywhere.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!