Price Of A 45 1970?

Tommy1

dont know about u.s. prices, first record i ever bought was mott the hoople - all the young dudes in 1972  45 pence from henrys records in southampton

you are right, well around that time they did reach 50 pence but i remember one of the political parties proposed reducing singles by 5 pence in an election campaign and that actually happened for a short while

• Helpful 1
Social source share

bought a bunch of records back then... 79 cents, 89 cents. The price stayed about the same until 1973/4 when oil prices jumped. LPs cost about $2.98 and $3.98 (or $3.79. or $3.97, depending on the store)). Went to $4.98 in the later 1970s. In the late 1970s I was paying $1.25 for a 45.

Edited by George G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

45 Records in USA in 1970 were generally $1.00 (99¢, 95¢), sometimes  discounted to 85¢ or, in a few cases, 79¢).  But, regular retail price was pretty much $1.00 across the country.  Same in Canada (where the Canadian Dollar was set at $1.03 of US $).

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just before decimilisation records were 6 / 8 six shillings and eight pence or three for a pound, which was a bit less than 45p. When the money changed over it was rounded up to 45p

That's some rounding up.  Six and eight is equal to 33p, give or take.  45p is nine bob in old money.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just before decimilisation records were 6 / 8 six shillings and eight pence or three for a pound, which was a bit less than 45p. When the money changed over it was rounded up to 45p

Did you ever pay in Guinea's then Joe? And no, not that black looking beverage any of you wise guys :huh:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Got a feeling lp, s were a guinea in the 50, s, been trying to think what else was a guinea, horse sales were always done in guineas, still are I expect, I, ll have think on it, memories gone crap lately, just can, t

Remember the name of tunes half the time, fatal for one who wastes ( wisely invests ) whatever money I can on 45, s.

Social source share

Horse sales yes Joe, don't know of general auctions. I remember Fox's piano's & organs selling 45's at 7/6p

YOU'RE RIGHT, IT, THE BIG AUCTIONS LIKE BONHAMS AND SOTHERBYS IN LONDON,

FUNNY THEY CAN TAKE GREENGROCERS TO COURT FOR NOT USING EUROS,

HAVEN'T BEEN AFTER THE BIG AUCTION HOUSES HAVE THEY

Social source share

Budget records mid 60s were cheaper - eg 39 cents for Hit 45 from Nashville. 

Funny I was discussing this very topic on facebook. A US pal remembers 89 cents to $1 standard fare in mid to late 1960s, though some stores would sell a couple for a dollar. Mono LPs were $2.97 Stereo $3.97

Edited by Windlesoul
Social source share

Budget records mid 60s were cheaper - eg 39 cents for Hit 45 from Nashville. 

Funny I was discussing this very topic on facebook. A US pal remembers 89 cents to $1 standard fare in mid to late 1960s, though some stores would sell a couple for a dollar. Mono LPs were $2.97 Stereo $3.97

Just what I stated.  So you can believe it.  The 2 for a dollar were slower movers in special bins.  The lowest discounted new popular records in discount stores were 69 or 79 cents.  The wholesale price was 50 cents.  So, selling new records 2 for $1.00 couldn't make ANY money -so it wouldn't be done.

Social source share

New singles were 6/8d and use to buy new US releases from Record Corner Balham  for 10/- sometimes  15/- in the late 60s.

I use to import US  deleted singles  myself in 69 from as little as 10cent each plus some minor costs mind you at that price you had to take a lot of mixed stuff.

In Manchester we were lucky rather than pay 6'8d we could usually pick them up either demo or just surplus issues a couple of weeks after release on the market for 2/6d

Edited by bri phill
Social source share

Just what I stated.  So you can believe it.  The 2 for a dollar were slower movers in special bins.  The lowest discounted new popular records in discount stores were 69 or 79 cents.  The wholesale price was 50 cents.  So, selling new records 2 for $1.00 couldn't make ANY money -so it wouldn't be done.

Further supported I guess by a neat invoice I have from the L-Rev label owners (dated 1968) sent to a Virginia store for 38 copies of Bob Marshall & Crystals "You got me crying / I'm gonna pay you back" - 52 cents each.

Edited by Windlesoul
Social source share

When Voodoo Chile was released in the UK  in 1970 just after Hendrix` death it was reduce to (I think) 6 shillings because no royalties were to be paid to the artist. 

Social source share

Price list from canada in 1973(from the record hunter publication)

As I stated, Canadian 45s were generally $1.00 during the sixties.  So, during the early '70s they were about $1.25, but this store was a high-volume storer, so they sold many for $1.00.  The Supremes' record at $2 was because it is an American issue, AND, it was a 10-year old Oldie at that time.  Oldies were often a little more expensive, if hard to get.  Imports would be more costly.

Social source share

• 1 year later...
On 13 May 2015 at 01:15, RobbK said:

When I worked in a record shop (UK) in 1975 singles sold at 55p, but were bought in at 35p - that's a whopping 63% mark-up.  

Social source share

From what  I remember (may be wrong on exact details) the big price increase came in the UK on Jan 1st 1973 when VAT came in. I had my first record player just before Christmas 1972 but I didn't start buying my own records till into the new year. So the price increase made a big impact on me at that time. It was most noticeable on LPs which went up by 15 to 20p I think (about £2.00 in todays money? Singles IIRC went up from 45p to 50p. Still a significant jump when you're 12 and struggling to save up your pocket money  

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Does anyone remember what used to be called Resale Price Maintenance in the UK?

So if the price for a single was set at 6/8d it was against the law for any shop to sell it at a cheaper price.

I'm not sure when RPM was abolished. After that shops could sell at whatever price they wanted.

Social source share

I used to buy discounted 'unsold 45' stock from a NY area warehouse in 1970  .....

.... named 45's (i.e listed artist & title) started at 5c each for stuff a year old & more. The more obscure the artist, the cheaper the 45 would be. Motown 45's were about 25c each in comparison.

Tea chests full of assorted 'mainly obscure' soul 45's (I couldn't afford the UK P&P on these) were sold at less than 1c for each 45 contained in the box.

Social source share

I found this one recently, double-priced, so that means that it would gave been on sale in the year just before or just after D-Day, 15/2/71.

Currently on Ebay at £15 (not my version though, that's staying in my box)

photo.JPG

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!