Jackie Wilson - Somebody Up There Likes You

Guest Dante

Hi there,

It was issued on the Higher & Higher LP on USA and on a lot of comps. I have it on a mexican Coral EP, with CHain Gang, FUnky Brodway & When Will Our Day Come...

But there is a US or UK 45 edition of this one????? I've checked a couple of Jackie's discographies and doesn't seems to...

Cheers From Mexico

Dante

Edited by Dante
Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi there,

It was issued on the Higher & Higher LP on USA and on a lot of comps. I have it on a mexican Coral EP, with CHain Gang, FUnky Brodway & When Will Our Day Come...

But there is a US or UK 45 edition of this one????? I've checked a couple of Jackie's discographies and doesn't seems to...

Cheers From Mexico

Dante

Australian or sth African 45,forget which?............wierd i know,but!!

Social source share

HI again...

speaking of...

Does anyone know if the mexican edition has been on sale recently, or knows the price, rarity??

Chhers

Dante

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi there,

Cheers From Mexico

Dante

Hi Dante,

No US or UK 45, but it did come out on a 45 in Germany in 1971, as the flip of a re-release of "Higher And Higher". As far as I'm aware, this is the only time that it's been issued on a regular 45 rather than an EP.

TONE :D

Social source share

No US or UK 45, but it did come out on a 45 in Germany in 1971, as the flip of a re-release of "Higher And Higher". As far as I'm aware, this is the only time that it's been issued on a regular 45 rather than an EP.

TONE :shades:

S'pose you can say the same thing about 'My Heart Is Calling'...only ever released (officially anyway) as a 45 on the re-issue of 'Because Of You' (around 3 years ago by expansion on Brunswick lookalike label?)...definitely worth getting for 'My Heart Is Calling' and can be placed in your originals only box!

Social source share

I think SUTLY is also a very good track, it appeared in the Higher & Higher LP so I think a lot of people will dismiss it just because it's easy te find...

Anyway, nice tune, sounds better at 45RPM hehehe

Cheers Dante

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

S'pose you can say the same thing about 'My Heart Is Calling'...only ever released (officially anyway) as a 45 on the re-issue of 'Because Of You' (around 3 years ago by expansion on Brunswick lookalike label?)...definitely worth getting for 'My Heart Is Calling' and can be placed in your originals only box!

....mmm, you're stretching a point here, methinks. Sure, that release of MHIC was the first one on a 45, but the difference between it and the German MCA 45 of SUTLY is that it was created just a couple of years back, specifically to cater for Northern Soul demand, whereas SUTLY was originally released on the German 45 over 35 years ago, as a makeweight flipside to what they hoped would be a hit record across the board, and with no thoughts in mind whatsoever of any future collectability.

If MHIC hadn't been issued before, I'd say yes, that release is an original in the same way that, say, Kent 6Ts Anniversary 45s containing previously unissued material are originals. But I really think it's skating on thin ice to call this back-to-back of two of Jackie's in-demanders an original in the same way.

I realise that I haven't articulated this argument as well as I might have liked, but I'm hoping that any Sourcers who read this posting will see what I'm getting at...

TONE :shades:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

See where you're coming from Tone but... an official release is an official release. So therefore if, according to the secret Northern Soul rulebook if you can only play from 7" if it's on an actual non bootleg 7" then I'm afraid think it counts. Otherwise you're just splitting hairs.

It's like Bopbby Hutton 'Lend A Hand' . There it is on an officially released 7", the first issue of it in that format so therefore why play from the album?

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

See where you're coming from Tone but... an official release is an official release. So therefore if, according to the secret Northern Soul rulebook if you can only play from 7" if it's on an actual non bootleg 7" then I'm afraid think it counts. Otherwise you're just splitting hairs.

It's like Bopbby Hutton 'Lend A Hand' . There it is on an officially released 7", the first issue of it in that format so therefore why play from the album?

Well said Si, is that Bobby Hutton the UK ABC thingy with Willie Hutch on the flip?

Social source share

Well said Si, is that Bobby Hutton the UK ABC thingy with Willie Hutch on the flip?

Thats the one. I do think you could have corrected my spelling mistakes though !

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi Dante,

TONE :thumbsup:

...and here it is - note the interesting spelling of 'Up'...

Social source share

Got mine 3 or 4 years ago was listed at £100 but traded a couple of bits... managed to spin this last week at IOW :yes:

Ehem, 100 quid???? So, I can sell it "easlily" for 80:P??????

Great news hehe

Cheers

Dante

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!