Top Shelf - Any Info Please?

There are other records that came out the same, Lo Lo and Calla.

Bobby Hill was one that comes to mind, Lo Lo was distributed by Calla, so I guess they put them out on the main label if they showed signs of being a hit.

I think they shared the Lo Lo release number when put out on Calla. The Top Shelf release and Bobby Hill do.

Sorry I can't help on prices, but should imagine the Lo lo release to be more expensive - although it's not always the case.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

great tune..seen on a few playlists lately and im sure I read somewhere it was played at cattacombs?

Yes Played at the Cat,s around 72 , originally a 50p [10 shilling s] sound now LoLo & Calla issues,£20 -£30, class G.Kerr Production.

Social source share

I have now got both records through, one on Calla, and one on Lo Lo.
The strange this is is that they are both 1970 releases, both have the same matrix number '2304' , and both have the same address, the 'Calla' one, '17 West 60th street, New York, NY'. So the real question is, why would 'Calla' release the same record on 2 different labels in the same year?                                                     

Social source share

Guest Yam Yam

Hi John 

I got this on LO LO records I have to admit I paid £3 for it and played it at our venue Yam Yams near Walsalland it went down really well with the crowd,not heard prior to this.

Social source share

I know it states that it's distributed by Laurie Records, but where does Epic fit in Andy?

I've not heard of this before.  :unsure:

Hi John

To be fair it would seem unlikely, however in soul harmony singles it has a Epic listing, but this also has a question mark to go with it, which is why I thought I would ask around. As you know most of the majors did very small runs of of some really unlikely titles which in time have become very hard to track down compared to the original indie release. I think there was a thread on here relating to a We the Peaple 45 on Polydor, so it's a bit like that I suppose.

Andy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just read the Rafa Newton Aycliffe playlists as I regularly do and saw Top Shelf was played in one of the earlier spots, a few good words said about it too. All it takes is a few spins for some records to hit it off. I'll keep hold of mine for a bit I think ;-)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!