Solar Radio Tune Played

21 Again

Think Richard said it was a Cameo Parkway artist and recorded in the UK.

Right, I've just had a listen to it on Mixcloud - it's only 10 minutes in anyway.

He said it's an unissued Cameo Parkway acetate from 1966 and maybe recorded in the UK but definately a US artist.

Firstly, it's not the song done by The Jackson 5 which has the same title, but completely different lyrics.

I had to play the song a few times as I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but the singer was very familiar (to me).

Eventually it came to me! .... I'm putting my money on it being Jo Armstead  :shhh:

So, a quick bit of googling turned up this: 

THROUGH THICK AND THIN

Writer: Josephine Armstead, Nickolas Ashford, Valerie Simpson

Publisher: Careers BMG Music Publishing/Warner-Tamerlane Publishing Co./Renleigh Music, Inc.

https://songwritershalloffame.org/index.php/songs/detailed/C325/P280/

I'll happily stand corrected if anyone else can come up with any other ideas, but it sounds too much like her not to be - plus she was first with Ashford & Simpson around this period, so it all adds up to it being a songwriter's acetate they did to try and sell the song.  :g: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

'If it's an acetate why wouldn't we believe who it is I wonder?'

That's the bit I couldn't understand either Steve - I believed it sounded like her enough to search for the title and her name - Ashford and Simpson just came up in the writer credits.

I hadn't actually noticed their voices, but again they also have a distinctive sound - so I'll have to go have another listen now to check it out  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!