Rita & The Tiaras Original On E-Bay $3,850 And Still 5 Days To Go,

De-to

Unbelievabubble... Good record but surely not in this price bracket. John is a top notch dealer. Ten years ago, he barely touched a Motown record - now he has a great batch of hot ticket sounds, maybe from a collection that's come to market rather than the siftings of a distributor buyout. Here's evidence that big Northern sounds on 45rpm are going to rise and rise in future.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

This guy has one of the rarest collections on the planet , without doubt the rarest blues collection of 78's and 45's in the world , google him it's really impressive I think he has that one off sun record and some of the surviving 78's that exist in one or two copies only with some stuff going back to the 20's and 30's . The earliest recordings of black music are in this mans collection.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

He's also the bloke who said theres no money in soul 7s

I reckon he's changed his opinion, good straight forward guy to deal with though

Darren

He's a nice guy , my brother is a heavy 78 blues and rnb collector has met him a few times and said he's a real gent. I bet he has some right things in that collection .

Social source share

He's also the bloke who said theres no money in soul 7s

I reckon he's changed his opinion, good straight forward guy to deal with though

Darren

i don,t think there is anything wrong with someone wanting to pay strong money for his or her most wanted 45 , or whatever.it keeps us all happy in the knowledge that privileged long time collectors are sitting on some good investments.and i,d never be so disrespectful so call a new or aspiring collector an idiot in choosing to collect a rare 45 of his choosing.they may not have been around years ago ,when we all started in the 60,s.to stumble on some now rare 45,s

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This guy has one of the rarest collections on the planet , without doubt the rarest blues collection of 78's and 45's in the world , google him it's really impressive I think he has that one off sun record and some of the surviving 78's that exist in one or two copies only with some stuff going back to the 20's and 30's . The earliest recordings of black music are in this mans collection.

Yep ... He won the auction of the Tommy Johnson on Paramount --- 37.000$  :yes:  :ohmy:  :hypo:  :facepalm:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

im sorry but there are some idiots out there

Agree with Ted 

Rita & The Tiaras , the most i paid was £150 pounds back in 1986 i have had few copies over the years its not rare purely supply indemand , to pay 2 grand plus is total madness its not in the same league as Lester Tipton  or Jimmy Burns .

Realistic price for Rita & Tiaras now a days £1200 imo

Edited by Aaron Darcy
Social source share

Guest turntableterra

Agree with Ted 

Rita & The Tiaras , the most i paid was £150 pounds back in 1986 i have had few copies over the years its not rare purely supply indemand , to pay 2 grand plus is total madness its not in the same league as Lester Tipton  or Jimmy Burns .

I got 5700 for my jimmy burns, it has never reached that since. I have to disagree with you on the rita price though as few come to market and the condition of johns is pretty good, m- I believe.

Social source share

i don,t think there is anything wrong with someone wanting to pay strong money for his or her most wanted 45 , or whatever.it keeps us all happy in the knowledge that privileged long time collectors are sitting on some good investments.and i,d never be so disrespectful so call a new or aspiring collector an idiot in choosing to collect a rare 45 of his choosing.they may not have been around years ago ,when we all started in the 60,s.to stumble on some now rare 45,s

Not sure why you quoted me Paul, I agree with you, and also added thats it actually gone for more recently.

You might have given the impression I called someone an idiot which I didn't and never would, what people do with there money is entirely up to them and non of my business.

Darren

Social source share

Agree with Ted 

You must be kidding........it's one of the most popular 45's of all time scene wise and pricing to reflect that is nearer £3,500! And it wouldn't surprise me if it reaches 5k.

There's a big difference between the rare 45's that are insatiable dance floor wise and ones that are just highly collectable. 

1200.......I'll buy 10 right now  :yes:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

You must be kidding........it's one of the most popular 45's of all time scene wise and pricing to reflect that is nearer £3,500! And it wouldn't surprise me if it reaches 5k.

There's a big difference between the rare 45's that are insatiable dance floor wise and ones that are just highly collectable. 

1200.......I'll buy 10 right now  :yes:

Please send £12,000 ($18,000) cash in a large brown envelope to :

Simon Soussan

C/O The Beverly hills Hotel

9641 Sunset Boulevard

Beverly Hills

California 90210

USA 

By the way I also have a Frank Wilson ISSUE if anybody is interested  :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Please send £12,000 ($18,000) cash in a large brown envelope to :

Simon Soussan

C/O The Beverly hills Hotel

9641 Sunset Boulevard

Beverly Hills

California 90210

USA 

By the way I also have a Frank Wilson ISSUE if anybody is interested  :D

I'll send it right now. Cash should be ok eh?  :lol:

Social source share

Milton James is super-rare. John Manship had it covered up on a sales tape as Milton Haney late 80s-early 90s. He wanted about 80 quid for it as memory serves. How many have turned up in addition to that copy? One, maybe two?

Rita obviously far more plentiful but always hugely in demand. This price shouldn't surprise anyone as the condition is great and the seller is a respected professional.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It is about demand isn't it

Like most people who have commented I got my copy of Rita and The Tiaras when thing were a lot less expensive..250 or so.

I also had Milton James but swapped it for Walter and The Admirations

With reference to price..I can see  Rita making as much in todays market as Milton James....down to the number of people chasing it

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Milton James is super-rare. John Manship had it covered up on a sales tape as Milton Haney late 80s-early 90s. He wanted about 80 quid for it as memory serves. How many have turned up in addition to that copy? One, maybe two?

Rita obviously far more plentiful but always hugely in demand. This price shouldn't surprise anyone as the condition is great and the seller is a respected professional.

More than that I think Gareth, though I do remember Nancy flying in to deliver a copy once

Social source share

I might have gone along with this a year or two ago but we've entered a whole new era - Bobby Kline @ £2K, Mel Britt @£1,000 plus, Cecil Washington @ name your price... It's like the classics in short supply are doubling in price. I guess once you've secured the one at the top of the wants list, you just have to shell out more than you want for anything else on the list.

Social source share

I bought a mint, store stocker of Rita and The Tiaras in a record shop (in Long Beach, CA) bargain bin for 25 cents, a few months after it was released.  Not liking it all that much, I swapped it to Tim Ashibende (who was posing as someone else (using the name Jack Sullivan) in a package along with Terry Bryant's "Geni", and a few others, for Sidney Barnes' "I Hurt On The other Side", or to Martin Koppel, in a package for some rare Detroit records (some J.J. Barnes on Mickay's and a few others).   I forget the exact details, as it was 50 years ago.  Had it been last year, I wouldn't remember it at all!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Assuming Martin and/or Tim were 18 at the time would that make em both 68? :ohmy:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Assuming Martin and/or Tim were 18 at the time would that make em both 68? :ohmy:

No!  I didn't trade the record away immediately!  I waited the many years until I found someone who valued it a LOT more than I.  It was in the very late '70s when I traded it.  Maybe 1977, 1978 or 1979(?). 

Social source share

Excellent article I read about a year or so ago about Mr Tefteller. It's entitled "Why I paid $37,100 for one record."

As the story explains, there was only one other known copy of this particular blues 78 and it was already in his collection!

https://www.fuse.tv/2013/10/why-i-paid-37100-for-one-record

off topic...but so funny. i just bought the same Charley Patton t-shirt he is wearing in this picture at local thrift store! i wear it to the gym.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Absolutely. Butch had a hard time breaking it at the 100 Club. Suffers from near total obscurity but also the very nature of the song. Dead rare doesn't always mean dead good to dance to. Respect to Butch for sticking with Milton.

Milton James is crap IMO. Rarity over quality.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Milton James is crap IMO. Rarity over quality.

Sorry Beji, but it's one of the best allnighter records of all time. The atmosphere when played at a packed club in the early hours is something to behold. Fan friggin tastic. Just the first three notes would have everyone rushing for the dance floor.

Shivers down the spine just remembering it. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I opted for the much cheaper option and still on 'Dore'

https://www.45worlds.com/vinyl/album/lp401

What a HORRIBLE LP.  The only thing even remotely listenable on it is Rita and The Tiaras.  I wouldn't buy that just to have the song on a Dore label.  Why didn't Dore just press a newer pressing of it when Northern demand started, in the 1970s, like Harthon and so many other small company owners did???  It's nice to get the recording on mint vinyl directly from the master tape, but who wants all those other-genre cuts on a big hunk of plastic, just to have one cut???

This is just a generic rant, as I wouldn't walk 2 feet out of my way to listen to it (which is why I swapped it).

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry Beji, but it's one of the best allnighter records of all time. The atmosphere when played at a packed club in the early hours is something to behold. Fan friggin tastic. Just the first three notes would have everyone rushing for the dance floor.

Shivers down the spine just remembering it. 

has Milton James been booted?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!