Bobby Womack "what Is This" - Variations

I just noticed that these two versions of "what is this" have totally different female backing vocals.

For example, at 50 second in, the second video has a distinctive "whoo" that is missing in the first. My copy of this record matches the second video. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Always wondered about that myself.  Personally I like the Keymen version as it's the one I first heard.

By the way, anyone agree some of those JayBoy and President 45's were some of the best pressed vinyl we ever had?  My copy of PT109 is as heavy as a half brick and sounds amazing...

Social source share

The flip of the Keyman version is beautiful deep soul, maybe Bobby's best in that particular genre.

All his versions of 'What Is This' are essential really.

There's also a version produced by Bobby on Jackie DeShannon on Imperial with a worthy stab at the classic 'Trust In Me' on the reverse.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Perhaps the top video is taken from the Keymen 45 and the second from the Jay Boy issue?

I don't know whether President would have been sent tapes from the US or recorded direct from a disc, but that could explain the difference.

mine sounds like the second video, and mine is Keymen 

Social source share

Simon Sousan released a vocal and instrumental version on a gold Mirwood label done from the master tapes so maybe one version is that one - I no longer have it to check but someone else on here will

Mirwood_MW-1004-B.gif

I have this one as well as the Keymen. Mine is the same take as video #2.

Does anyone know if video #1 is, indeed, the JayBoy?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!