Which Rarity Has Lasted The Longest?

Liamgp

Pub question: which rarity has maintained its status as both desirable and hard-to-get the longest?  

I reckon Larry Clinton 'She's Wanted' has been sought out from Wigan late 70s onwards. Not only a great, great record but pretty elusive (particularly in issue). Mind you, it has been reissued which might reduce its status.

Any thoughts?

Social source share

Pub question: which rarity has maintained its status as both desirable and hard-to-get the longest?

I reckon Larry Clinton 'She's Wanted' has been sought out from Wigan late 70s onwards. Not only a great, great record but pretty elusive (particularly in issue). Mind you, it has been reissued which might reduce its status.

Any thoughts?

Frank Wilson ?
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I'll have a stab at Lou Pride, but given I was born in 69, I wouldn't really know..

how about Pat Lewis - No One to Love, The Tempos - I'll Never Forget, The Terrifics - I'll Get Him Back, Jimmy Raye - Philly Dog Around The World, and when did you ever see George Pepp - The Feeling is Real?

Malcolm

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

I`ll pop in these two, ive seen most things come up for sale over the years, can`t recall seeing a Del-tours-Sweet and lovely up for sale, and only a couple of Yvonne Vernee-Just like you did me. But as Dave tay says-Ispirations-no one else can take your place, has always remained a rarity. Just an after thought. LEN JEWEL-BETTIN ON LOVE-TERRI-DEE??

Social source share

I`ll pop in these two, ive seen most things come up for sale over the years, can`t recall seeing a Del-tours-Sweet and lovely up for sale, and only a couple of Yvonne Vernee-Just like you did me. But as Dave tay says-Ispirations-no one else can take your place, has always remained a rarity. Just an after thought. LEN JEWEL-BETTIN ON LOVE-TERRI-DEE??

what about the Jimmy Gresham on Teri-DE?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

IMHO, I would say some of the following are;

Don Gardner - Chestin Kind on Sedgrick

The Prophets - If I had on Shrine

Inspirations - No one can take on Breakthrough ( not the 70's cut )

Nathan Williams - What Price on Lime

Buddy Smith - When you lose the one on ?? ( Forgotten - lol )

Social source share

what about the Jimmy Gresham on Teri-DE?

I first heard J Gresham at the Mecca, I suspect between 73-6 ? anyway, Ive only seen it for sale twice on the scene (although it could have been the same copy?) plus one on ebay, in 40 odd years .It was wanted for the PIOOYM side @ Mecca, and TFIH side in the later years, but as Kegsy previously said, the answer to the original question has to be Baby Reconsider, by a Landslide ( unless were talking specific label variations, for example, wdj's or rarer issues, or local issues, then it's a whole different ballgame, for example a wdj of Landslide :D  or In Orbit, both early years tunes that rarely turn up in dj format. There's got to be a few like that, those were just off the top of my head. The gold vinyl Professionals?)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

IMHO, I would say some of the following are;

Don Gardner - Chestin Kind on Sedgrick

The Prophets - If I had on Shrine

Inspirations - No one can take on Breakthrough ( not the 70's cut )

Nathan Williams - What Price on Lime

Buddy Smith - When you lose the one on ?? ( Forgotten - lol )

Think a few Nathan Williams turned up over the last few yrs ,so probs as rare on UA these days 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not really JM has sold two copies since Aug 2014 !

Eddie Parker been through ebay and private sale as well in recent times. Quite a few copies in the hands of collectors and DJ's

Most records mentioned copies have surfaced.

Inspirations probably the one with just the four known copies that have been known of for some time now.

Larry Clinton good few demos about but just the three red issues. 

Kell Osborne, just the three known copies?  Same for Junior McCants, two or three only known.

Many of the so called rarest of the rare, copies have surfaced.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Is the question is from first play to still rare (ish) today ?

First play year: xxxx

Record: xxxxx

My input would be as an earlier post put it Leon Heywood "Baby Reconsider" the Wheel, late 1960's play. way before the Eddie Parkers etc.

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Frank Beverley on Rouser

&

Inticers on Babyluv

Discuss........

No more than 5 each of these I'd say.  Sold both of em sadly.

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Been two on ebay in the last year one on at the moment !

A real one? All I can see are the (ahem) "reissues"

Social source share

The first true rarity (69/70 ?)  was Leon haywood baby reconsider and its still a pretty tough one now.

There are as many Larry Clinton's on popsike as leon haywoods if thats any sort

of guide.

Totally forgot this. The first big import sound arguably and, as you say, still hard to get and still sounds great and gets a strong dancefloor response 100% of the time.

Social source share

Eddie Parker been through ebay and private sale as well in recent times. Quite a few copies in the hands of collectors and DJ's

Most records mentioned copies have surfaced.

Inspirations probably the one with just the four known copies that have been known of for some time now.

Larry Clinton good few demos about but just the three red issues. 

Kell Osborne, just the three known copies?  Same for Junior McCants, two or three only known.

Many of the so called rarest of the rare, copies have surfaced.

What about JD Byrant - I wont be coming back or Andantes - Like a nightmare ?

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

What about the Limelights don't leave me baby Uncle first played at TOTW? & only five ish turned up if I'm not mistaken.

Steve J

Social source share

That's a rare record. Sold mine to Tim Brown in the 80s and I've never seen it since.

Ian D  :D

Just how rare is this?

I got my copy from Dave Truscott (Widnes) when he sold up around 5 - 6 years ago.

Not exactly sure what I paid as I had a number of records from him and we did a collective 'deal'.  If I had to have a stab at what I paid for this one record I'd guess i.t.r.o. £1,000.

Did I get a good deal?

Chris

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just how rare is this?

I got my copy from Dave Truscott (Widnes) when he sold up around 5 - 6 years ago.

Not exactly sure what I paid as I had a number of records from him and we did a collective 'deal'.  If I had to have a stab at what I paid for this one record I'd guess i.t.r.o. £1,000.

Did I get a good deal?

Chris

dunno if you got a good deal but think you might get a number of folk pm'ing you constantly now people know you've got a copy :D

Social source share

Just how rare is this?

Did I get a good deal?

Chris

I know it's sold for much more than that!

Social source share

Just how rare is this?

Did I get a good deal?

Chris

Well, it's rarer than most records in this thread I think. Probably only a handful of copies at the most. Tim paid me £100 25 years ago and it was just a very oddball rarity back then.

Ian D  :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!