Finding Rare/unknown 45S

hi all, is it harder finding rare or unknown records in 2015? with classic record prices

going through the roof, and the influx of bootleg/lookalike collectors paying stupid

prices are there still records being found that havnt yet found our scene.....

as a collector of that something alittle different every so often I fall on 45s that are

not listed..youtube..popsike..googled etc mainly 60s rnb styled 45s on really obscure labels

so when or if you find something that's that bit different where do you go/do, to find out

if its rare or unknown or even covering it up? guides, popsike, google, youtube, forums etc

to be fair most 45s known or rare can be found on youtube, so imo when you find a record

that doesn't appear the chances are it could be rare or virtualy unknown?

I believe that finding quality 60s soul records that are unknown are the hardest

70s - modern more of a chance, 60s rnb also as ive said are out there if you dig

hard enough..and normally very cheap

hope you can understand where im coming from...discuss

russ

Social source share

i actually believe its been harder to find great unknown 70's this last few yrs. And all  the great 60's unreleased tracks  that have come through dwarfs the later material  :(

Yep!And unknown early 80s stuff also.When we were buying that stuff back then i don't think we really knew how few copies were actually pressed of certain titles.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I believe that there are still plenty of records out there that appear quite rare if not unknown.  The thing is that just because a google search revealed little info is no guarantee of scarcity, Popsike is far from complete and youtube for all the volume of videos on there seems mainly to be people posting the same records, often using the same audio and label scans

Edited by tiberius
Social source share

There are still many 45s that were left behind and tossed aside in the 70s that are still easily good enough to play today. Recently I have been concentrating on stuff like the brilliant Jack Hammer - What greater love which seemed to get bypassed,  and well known records on unusual labels, usually foreign. There is always something to collect out there.

Social source share

There are still many 45s that were left behind and tossed aside in the 70s that are still easily good enough to play today. Recently I have been concentrating on stuff like the brilliant Jack Hammer - What greater love which seemed to get bypassed,  and well known records on unusual labels, usually foreign. There is always something to collect out there.

Funny, JH was played to death and even pressed over here in Germany 20 years ago.

Social source share

Hi everyone  :elvis: I think it has to do with who finds it. If your not a serious dealer-its easy to assume "its not worth anything" if  you don't find anything on the net. I've talked to a few "record collectors" here in the states-most have never heard of northern soul. So unfortunately- I bet a fair amount of really rare stuff gets thrown out.-m

Social source share

I believe that finding quality 60s soul records that are unknown are the hardest 70s - modern more of a chance, 60s rnb also as ive said are out there if you dig

hard enough..and normally very cheap hope you can understand where im coming from...discuss

russ

There are 1000s of obscure unknown records out there, thing is they're all crap.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!