Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Steve S 60

Aaaaargos

My 72 year old mother recently had a double wardrobe with sliding mirror doors delivered by Argos.  When she asked the delivery men if they would carry the flat packs up to her bedroom they declined on Health & Safety grounds.  I went round that night and opened up the flat packs in order to carry the individual parts upstairs.  When I got to the second box, I discovered the mirror was cracked on one of the doors.  Quick (20 minutes wait) phone call to Argos, who said they would send out the replacement door within two working days.  I confirmed that I could put the rest of the wardrobe together while we awaited the arrival of the replacement part.

The replacement door arrived today but the delivery man said he couldn't take away the broken one as he was only a courier.  My mother then popped into the local Argos store and was told it was the customers responsibility to dispose of any damaged parts.  So Argos expect a 72 year old lady living on her own to get rid of a 7ft x 3ft door, complete with broken glass mirror.

Phoned up Argos as soon as I found out, and got the same company line.  "Can't you take it to the local tip?"  "It's a mirrored wardrobe door love, not a door handle.  Put your supervisor on."

The end result is Argos is sending my mother a cheque for £25, which is what the council charge for disposing of large items.  What pisses me off, is if my mother didn't have anybody to stick up for her rights, she'd have had to pay the council out of her own money.

Edited by Steve S 60

I would have demanded that Argos come and pick up the whole

wardrobe as it was not fit for purpose.

I would have told them the replacement door didn't fit right.

Then when they got there i would have just given the driver the broken component.

Edited by Kegsy

Steve always go to the CEO, I do and I've had £250 compo from Vodafone, 3 Hiking Jackets from Regatta totaling £140, Hudl2 from Tesco -93p plus many more. Don't mess with the underlings get straight to the top, it works. :thumbsup: 

Spot. :shades:  

Steve always go to the CEO, I do and I've had £250 compo from Vodafone, 3 Hiking Jackets from Regatta totaling £140, Hudl2 from Tesco -93p plus many more. Don't mess with the underlings get straight to the top, it works. :thumbsup: 

Spot. :shades:  

Thats exactly what my missus does, works everytime.

Why have I suddenly got a link to Sliderobes.com under my post?

Its the software used by the site to make advertising relevant.

It will "analyse" posts and place ads that fit with whats in the post.

This sales post has the word "shoes" in it,look at the ad.

Edit. Ooops the ad isn't there now.

Spooky innit, said Sooty.

Edited by Kegsy

I would have demanded that Argos come and pick up the whole

wardrobe as it was not fit for purpose.

I would have told them the replacement door didn't fit right.

Then when they got there i would have just given the driver the broken component.

Thats exactly what my missus does, works everytime.

Thanks for the advice guys.  Just rang up the CEO of Argos, and they'll be sending half a dozen plastic coat hangers to my mother's address.  Result!

Thanks for the advice guys.  Just rang up the CEO of Argos, and they'll be sending half a dozen plastic coat hangers to my mother's address.  Result!

I was actually trying to be helpful but seems you'd sooner take the proverbial.

I was actually trying to be helpful but seems you'd sooner take the proverbial.

Sorry but that wasn't my intention. I was taking the piss out of Argos. I've actually had £200 back off Aviva by dealing with their head office when the claims department messed me around, so I'm with you on that one. Just trying to make light of a crappy situation.

Further to my original post, my sister has also had a go at Argos and drained down the phone line to customer services.  As a result a further £15 is on its way to my mam.  At this rate we'll get the wardrobe for nothing.

Incidentally, my mam is pleased with her new wardrobe.  It only took 4 hours to put together with probably the worst instructions for flat pack furniture I've had the misfortune to encounter.  My sister did mention that lots of other people had complained about the instructions in the online reviews, but that was only after I'd struggled putting it together.

PS I managed to get the damaged door in the back of my car and took it to the tip.

PPS Why have I got an advert for adjustable beds at the bottom of my post?

Edited by Steve S 60

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts