Platters - Back To Detroit - Choice Of Singles?

I usually don't buy LPs, but found a mint copy of "going back to detroit" for a couple bucks. 

the songs "I can't get used sharing you" and especially "why do you wanna make me blue" are SOOOOOO amazing.

i checked "soulfulkindamusic" and it says the only singles released from this LP are "with this ring/if i had a love" and "shing-a-ling-a-loo/on the top of my mind."

the first single choice makes sense - but the second is comprised of easily the two worst songs on the record. just childish pop garbage (IMHO) 

what kind of crack were they smoking at Musicor???? 

Social source share

The brilliant title track "Going Back To Detroit" can be found on the b-side of "Sweet Sweet Lovin" on UK Pye. Sweet Sweet Lovin came out 4 years earlier on UK Stateside but had a different flip.

It's a great album though, highly recommended and easy to find.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest son of stan

Those two off that LP are ace.

Kind of off topic but not..there's an obscure and deeply unpromising looking UK LP from the late 70s by The Platters I've got that has blinding uptempo remakes of 'Red Sails in the Sunset' and 'Harbour Lights' on it. Those are great and sound like they must have been done in US, rest of the LP is crap and sounds like it was done in Europe.Always wondered if those two were from a US single release..They really are good.

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

I always thought that Luther Dixon had Popcorn Wylie (with the help of Sonny Sanders) record the background tracks in Detroit for the "Going Back To Detroit" album, but that The Platters had their vocals recorded in New York.  Was I misinformed?

Social source share

I always thought that Luther Dixon had Popcorn Wylie (with the help of Sonny Sanders) record the background tracks in Detroit for the "Going Back To Detroit" album, but that The Platters had their vocals recorded in New York.  Was I misinformed?

According to the late Don Mancha when I spoke with him: Don had followed Luther Dixon over to New York where Don  wrote "I Found True Love" and "She Said Goodbye" for Billy Hambric. Don later got homesick and returned to Detroit asking Luther to go and stay with him. While back in Detroit Musicor contacted Luther and asked him to produce a album on the Platters who they were sending over to Detroit a happening town at the time,  as Musicor wished to give the group a change of direction by taking them into the growing popular soul market.

Their manager Buck Ram is also credited as co -producer on the album.

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

To quote the sleeve notes on the "Going Back To Detroit" album:

In mid 1966, The Platters again proved their stylistic dexterity, when they recorded their first hit for Musicor Records not in New York, not in Chicago, not in California, but in Detroit, the most recent focal point for what's happening in disc sounds. Produced by Detroit's own Luther Dixon, "I Love You 1000 Times" went on to become one of the years major chart entries.

Dave

Social source share

The brilliant title track "Going Back To Detroit" can be found on the b-side of "Sweet Sweet Lovin" on UK Pye. Sweet Sweet Lovin came out 4 years earlier on UK Stateside but had a different flip.

It's a great album though, highly recommended and easy to find.

Yes, a cheapie but not easy to find, I though it was album only until I looked on the flip....i`d had it for ages and hadn`t realised. Same backing as Lonely you`ll be

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!