Alice Clark - What Do We Know?

Dayo

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I'd seen the little piece that accompanies the album release, but she is still an enigma.  Did anyone ever track her down?

Edited by Dayo
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Worth noting that Acid jazz in the 9ts,  and recently Kent put out sides from this LP.. the stronger being 'Don't You Care'. but followed closely by 'Never Did I Stop Loving You'.. ohh they also did a complete sessions CD which is worth getting and mentioned above BGP being part of the Ace group...

M

Edited by Mal C
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

"You Hit Me" was the first sound I heard at an allnighter. Sept 73 at VaVas. I still love it, and think it really wipes the floor with Kim Westons version.

Paul

Came off Bradford market, there were loads of copies too.

Social source share

The CD is excellent. 

we had a thread on Mary Gresham a while back and Alice falls into the same category of highly gifted artist who didnt record anywhere near enough, or get the breaks she deserved.

1968-72 with just 15 recordings.......

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It simply says that the lack of sales (and I daresay a recording contract) saw her drifting away from the business. Apparently  she has not been heard of since her final recordings. Its a bit vague unfortunately but it does look as if she simply took herself out of the music business completely. Pity but not unique in the 60s and 70s, when there were so many great singers making so many great records that not everyone could break through.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I wonder if it's any coincidence that Alice Clark looks somewhat melancholy in the photos on her LP, the same with say Gloria Scott and Alex Brown looking equally blue on the cover of theirs..just another two examples of an outstanding LP and couple 45s each, then nothing, albeit for reasons better documented in those cases I think. Such a shame and maybe no idea there's still people like us listening to their limited work and still getting so much pleasure each time.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Thanks for all the input again everyone.

What a tragic story.  I know there are a ton of great singers who never made it, but Alice Clark just stands a class apart to my ears.  

I guess it's a good moment to salute those soul detectives who have often tracked down our heroes/heroines of the scene and allowed them to feel the love.  I'll bet there are some great stories to be told!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

The feelers are out there Dayo, we shall wait and see what comes back but in agreement with you, Alice is right up there with the best. Just listened to her Lp again and forgotten just how outstanding every track is. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Well done Chalky! Would be brilliant to learn more of how Alice started singing and then progressed to the LP, what happened next with her seemingly short lived career and dare I say whether there is any unreleased material lurking to be discovered...perhaps acquired and properly licensed so that her family might get some funding to continue her music legacy and memory in some way. :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I vaguely recall Kitch spinning an unissued acetate credited to Alice but that could be either a cover-up or the fact there were no credits on the acetate itself so that was the name he gave it. Anyone confirm? 

Pretty sure an uncredited acetate, sure Kitch will confirm if he reads this.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Pretty sure an uncredited acetate, sure Kitch will confirm if he reads this.

Fairly certain you're right mate, cracking record.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

My fave of hers and stepping off the dance floor again is the flip of "You Hit Me"

Heaven's Will (Must Be Obeyed)

Social source share

Thought I remembered correct re acetate, at least the memory is still there - just lol! Looking forward to hearing Alices story as Chalky confirms that the grandson says its a great one. Been playing the LP again and rediscovering just how fantastic it is, every track a winner. Soul as deep as you like and then some

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It simply says that the lack of sales (and I daresay a recording contract) saw her drifting away from the business. Apparently  she has not been heard of since her final recordings. Its a bit vague unfortunately but it does look as if she simply took herself out of the music business completely. Pity but not unique in the 60s and 70s, when there were so many great singers making so many great records that not everyone could break through.

Sandra Wright all over again !
Social source share

My fave of hers and stepping off the dance floor again is the flip of "You Hit Me"

What a cracking track enjoyed reading the articles on this would defo love to read the full story

• Helpful 1
Social source share

See what I mean?  Vocally, this lady was right up there with Linda Jones.  That's a stunning piece of deep soul - what a performance.  I hope we get some more answers soon and that at least her family can know that her small output of work is highly revered all over the world.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Good call Dave , i played this in the Jim Wray lounge at Yarmouth some years ago - a truly versatile vocalist ! Infact " You Hit Me " has always been my alltime favourite northern record it is simply perfect. This is great news re finding the family Alice Clark has been one of the true mysteries for me , along with Sam Williams. I have been searching for a 1960's black and white 8x10 promo photo (if it excists ) of her since my first trip to the states, maybe now we may at least see one !

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Although the arrangement is mind blowing, what makes YHM such an amazing record is the way the song reveals, in soul teasing fashion the true excellence of her vocals, revealing more as Alice builds up to the chorus. Also her vocal range just soars throughout. A true star.

"You hit me" - what a record!! Blew me away in'74,still does now.Powerful track!!

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Although the arrangement is mind blowing, what makes YHM such an amazing record is the way the song reveals, in soul teasing fashion the true excellence of her vocals, revealing more as Alice builds up to the chorus. Also her vocal range just soars throughout. A true star.

Whenever I hear a non-Motown release of a Jobete Music song for which I've never heard a Motown version, I try to imagine the sound of a Funk Brothers version.  I would have guessed it would be fantastic, and much better.  When I finally heard The Kim Weston version, I was disappointed (but still like it better than the Alice Clark (as that version doesn't sound like Motown).

I'm still waiting to hear a Motown version of "You Turned My Bitter Into Sweet".

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Thanks for all the input again everyone.

What a tragic story.  I know there are a ton of great singers who never made it, but Alice Clark just stands a class apart to my ears.  

I guess it's a good moment to salute those soul detectives who have often tracked down our heroes/heroines of the scene and allowed them to feel the love.  I'll bet there are some great stories to be told!

Fully agree Dayo... on a par with Linda Jones in my book. "You Hit Me" has been in my top 10 since I was a teenager and it always will be.  In fact I'm sticking it in the playbox right now for a spin at my next do.

Social source share

Have really enjoyed re-listening to the Lp in its entirety this last few weeks as a result of this thread...never forgot about it, just hardly enough time in the day/night to just sit and properly listen to a whole LP without distraction or trying to do something else at the same time. Cd in the car or music in in background just not the same sometimes is it.

Anyway, thought I had both 45s too but turned out completely missed picking up her first release on Rainy Day, so thanks to Jason at Soulstacks today now thankfully this is on its way and I can enjoy this masterpiece on the record player soon too...

Alice Clark - Say you'll never (never leave me) 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 4 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!