Sales Pricing?

Been flicking through sales postings on various sites recently and quite a few times i have noticed

readers quoting the comment "Seen go for a lot more"! Well i'm sorry but for me (as a buyer) this

amounts to bad publicity as this only encourages sellers to significantly increase further prices.

It would do us all a favour to see the comment "Seen for a lot less" now and again. I say this because i am so fed up of seeing bog standard (just about anything) rip-off prices of 45's.

P.S, I wont say "rant over" cos i know the general feeling is that it's getting out of hand.

Social source share

I suppose I've seen that many records at rip off prices that when you see a bargain you feel obliged to compliment the seller on their decent price. I completely understand where you are coming from though, I'm guilty of it but only on a couple of occasions. I know the times I have said 'that's a steal' that the seller hasn't then hiked up the price and relisted it, although it wouldn't surprise me if some people did.

Social source share

Pricing records for sale is not an exact science. It is difficult to know what to sell a record for when you overpaid for it in the first place and you need to recoup the outlay. It sometimes depends on the number of other copies available at the same time - shrewd sellers can then undercut the competition but risk being criticised by other dealers for deflating other 

peoples' investments. For those who travel to the USA, is it justifiable to charge top prices to spread the costs of flights and hotels etc? Bottom line is, the market's flexible enough to cope with price variability, and once condition is factored in, there are bargains to be had for collectors on modest budgets. Keep an eye out for 'Buy It Now Items' and there are real bargains to be had on a regular basis.

Edited by FRANKIE CROCKER
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

pointing out that your record is half the price of main dealers site or has been sold or listed for twice this price is fair game. it does help to sell things and thats what sellers want to do. 

if you are trying to use a dealers price to justify your own high price then thats altogether a different story. and one worthy of a moan if you are that way inclined.

especially helpful tactic if you have multiple copies from a decent find to say this is going for 100+ quid on ebay and dealers sites, and ive got it 35 quid. 

these kind of posts are usually bargains from what ive seen. 

Edited by JNixon
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Leaving aside the big indemanders, longtime classics, records that are both great and scarce etc. I'm sometimes gobsmacked at some of the prices asked for what I think are pretty average or in some cases crap records. I know its all subjective and "one mans meat is anothers poison". However some of what I'm talking about are the sorts of records that used to get left in record shops because they weren't much good, simple as that, yet now for sale at prices that seem ludicrous (to me) all becuase they fit into a genre such as Northern, R n B, Popcorn.

Also what I hate is when £30, 40, 50 records are described as cheap. Sure compared to the big hitters that is cheap but in everyday life is that cheap (or is that just me?) Three of them a week and thats £90 to £150! Personally I think that prices have a lot to do with the popularity of the new wave of reissues.

Oh one last thing, when people say things like "this should be going for £500 not £50 its that good" or "£15 but sounds like a £1000 record". I know its sales patter but it says something about how we equate expensive and good.

Moan over.

No, not a moan but fair comment. Many of us regard £30-50 records as cheap yet that's a lot of money to most people I guess but it's all relative really. Also difficult to have great sounds in the sales box and contain one's enthusiasm for them.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!